ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., Nov. 18, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- According to a new nationwide study* released today, millions of Americans want to renovate their kitchen and are cooking up wish lists for a more functional, attractive and spacious room.
The new survey of more than 1,000 American homeowners, commissioned by leading home appliance manufacturer LG Electronics, reveals that nearly nine in 10 homeowners (87 percent) plan to make renovations inside their home, and half of them are planning to do so within the next year.
Among their plans for renovating, homeowners are resolving to make improving their kitchen a priority – with more than half of future renovators revealing that they have their sights set on improving the heart of their home. Furthermore, 46 percent of homeowners noted that the kitchen is the number one room on which they would be most likely to splurge while renovating.
Top motivations for those planning to renovate their kitchen stems from wanting to improve the room's design and aesthetic appeal (26 percent) and making it more functional (25 percent), rather than trying to increase the overall value of their home (11 percent). The survey reveals a number of noteworthy findings and wish list items shared by homeowners:
- A Space That's Functional: Two in five homeowners would like their kitchen to be more functional (40 percent), and many want this room to be bigger (47 percent), have more counter space (44 percent), include additional cabinets (37 percent) and accommodate more people (33 percent).
- Central Hub: It's no wonder homeowners would like to make their kitchen more comfortable for those in it, as nearly three in 10 say this room is an area of their home that guests tend to gather to socialize (29 percent) and a place that they themselves gravitate toward even when they are not eating or cooking (27 percent).
- An Appetite for Upgraded Appliances: More than half of homeowners who plan to renovate their kitchen have their eyes set on changing their kitchen appliances (56 percent), and of those looking to renovate their kitchen, many would like appliances that are professional style (45 percent), built-in or counter-depth (42 percent), premium (36 percent), disguised (32 percent) or timeless-looking (25 percent) in their kitchens.
- Spending Where it Counts: Homeowners planning to renovate their kitchens would spend a premium price on some big-ticket kitchen items including countertops (61 percent), cabinetry (52 percent), a refrigerator (49 percent), and a stove/oven (45 percent). In fact, nearly nine in 10 homeowners (89 percent) would be motivated to pay a premium price on a new kitchen appliance, especially if it is energy efficient or ENERGY STAR® certified (64 percent), comes with a 10-year warranty (60 percent), or comes with advanced features or functionality (49 percent).
- Willing to Sacrifice: Nearly four in five homeowners would give up something substantial for a year in order to have their ideal kitchen (79 percent), including their next vacation (51 percent), Saturdays (29 percent), date nights (28 percent) and surfing the Web (19 percent).
The survey findings are issued on the heels of the national retail debut of the latest additions to the LG Studio premium kitchen appliance suite, designed in partnership with renowned designer Nate Berkus, who serves as artistic advisor. This new line includes a counter-depth refrigerator, gas and electric slide-in ranges and an over-the-range microwave, all featuring a distinctive style palette aimed to complement any high-end kitchen design.
Berkus advised on the design of the LG Studio appliances, ensuring they embody a pro-style, sophisticated design, and his influence can be felt throughout the line-up and is exhibited in the appliances' premium, flat door design; beautiful and functional LED lighting; pro-style metal knobs, handles and control panels; and a premium, horizontally-brushed stainless steel finish.
"At LG, we believe that the kitchen is the heart of the home, and this study underscores how important it is to have a kitchen that is not only beautiful, but that works hard every day for homeowners and their families," said David VanderWaal, vice president of marketing, LG Electronics USA. "The new LG Studio appliances are the perfect marriage of high function and high design and provide a strong foundation for a beautiful, functional kitchen that homeowners are proud to own, use and show off."
For information on the entire line of LG Studio appliances, please visit www.lgstudio.com.
*The survey was conducted by Kelton between Sept. 30 and Oct. 12, 2015 among 1022 Americans ages 18 and over who own a home, using an e-mail invitation and an online survey. The margin of error is +/- 3.1.
About LG Electronics USA
LG Electronics USA, Inc., based in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., is the North American subsidiary of LG Electronics, Inc., a $56 billion global force and technology leader in consumer electronics, home appliances and mobile communications. LG Electronics, a proud 2015 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year, sells a range of stylish and innovative home entertainment products, mobile phones, home appliances, commercial displays, air conditioning systems and solar energy solutions in the United States, all under LG's "Life's Good" marketing theme. www.lg.com.
SOURCE LG Electronics USA