DULUTH, Ga., March 21, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Each year, National Mathematics Awareness Month brings attention to the importance of mathematics as a core skill in education. In honor of the month, which is celebrated annually in April, Kids 'R' Kids Learning Academies, a national early childhood education franchise with over three decades of experience, reminds parents, caregivers and educators of young children how learning math can be fun. Providing children with the opportunity to be innovative and inventive is the key to building a strong mathematical foundation both inside and outside of the classroom. Below are some tips parents can use to create fun, engaging climates that inspire positive attitudes toward math.
- Talk about it. Math happens everywhere. Take advantage of your child's natural curiosity to initiate conversations about numbers. For example, you might ask "If I cut this strawberry in half, how many pieces are there?" Food items, toys, crayons and blocks are some of the many things kids enjoy counting.
- Use purposeful play. Hands-on learning activities and math projects will enrich students' every day learning, support academic growth and help inspire them to become life-long learners. By focusing on play, math can be integrated naturally: "How many Legos did you use to build that car?"
- Try puzzles to advance learning. Age-appropriate puzzles or brainteasers can help children develop critical problem solving and reasoning skills. Try completing your first puzzle together at your local library or bookstore.
- Math in movies. Instead of watching regularly scheduled shows, turn on programs that introduce different mathematical concepts through video. You can find a variety of entertaining videos online, from shapes and angles to addition and subtraction.
- Check in with your local school. Many schools offer unique curricula that encourage children to be natural scientist by using reasoning, hypothesizing, prediction and theorizing while they play. Touch base with your teachers to see what the lesson plans are for the day or what your child seems most engaged with in class. Math doesn't have to end in the classroom.
Many of these practices are a daily part of the Kids 'R' Kids' First Class Curriculum™. Last year, Kids 'R' Kids introduced its proprietary STEAM AHEAM® pre-school curriculum, which is implemented in its nearly 160 Learning Academies in 15 states across the country. This unique curriculum is designed for students ages three to five and supplements the Kids 'R' Kids core curriculum with more opportunities to learn science, technology, engineering, art and math through play.
This exclusive curriculum is designed specifically for every developmental stage of education with theme-based units, specific learning activities and teacher-friendly lesson plans. With an award-winning curriculum, Kids 'R' Kids provides education and care for children from six weeks through 12 years of age at its nearly 160 schools located in 15 states across the country. For the last 30 years, Kids 'R' Kids has upheld its long-standing principle – "Hug First, Then Teach" – which works to strengthen and encourage childhood development on an emotional, intellectual, social and physical level through a unique partnership between its child care providers and parents.
Programs like STEAM AHEAD® also help prepare students for the future. The U.S. Department of Commerce projected that between 2008 and 2018, STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) occupations would grow 17 percent, compared with 9.8 percent growth for all other occupations. Across the country, there are 3.6 people for every one job, but in the STEM fields, there is one person for every 1.9 jobs, indicating a real need for people with an educational background in these four core areas.
Kids 'R' Kids is the first preschool accredited by AdvancED in America, the world's largest education community. This accreditation ensures its schools are meeting and exceeding the highest accreditation standards and providing excellence in education beyond most daycare and childcare providers.
For more information, or to enroll your child at a Kids 'R' Kids Learning Academy, please visit KidsRKids.com or call 770-279-7777.
About Kids 'R' Kids Learning Academies
Headquartered in the North Atlanta suburb of Duluth, Ga., Kids 'R' Kids Learning Academies provide a secure, nurturing, and educational environment for children ages six weeks - 12 years to bloom into responsible, considerate, and contributing members of society. With nearly 160 learning academies in 16 states, Kids 'R' Kids International® is a family-owned and operated organization that ranks in the top 10 nationwide for franchised early childhood education centers (www.kidsrkids.com).
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/1--1--fun-kids-r-kids-learning-academies-offers-tips-to-make-math-learning-effective-300238117.html
SOURCE Kids 'R' Kids Learning Academies