LONDON, July 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
A recent whitepaper created by Legal IQ uses the results of a survey of 675 IP and patent professionals globally to explore how they can monetise their IP and patent strategy.
"As the 'IP for business growth' ethos expands, value creation and productivity will expand as well." - Tom Briscoe, Senior Principal Strategist of IP, Dako
In order to explore and ratify our findings, Legal IQ sought the expertise of distinguished IP professionals from tech giant IBM and cancer diagnostics technology company Dako. IBM, representing the global corporations, opts for a more assertive approach, looking to leverage IP as an asset through licensing. This was contrasted with the approach of more niche operator Dako, to facilitate a well-rounded insight.
Highlights of the whitepaper include:
- The pharmaceutical industry will face the biggest challenges over the next 18 months
- Lack of in-house manpower is the key obstacle to optimising Patent Portfolio Management
- When IBM "look at an individual patent licence...it's also based on how much revenue the company is going to generate in the coming years using this patent."
- The benefits of "open book" patent policies - "maintaining secrecy definitely has its place, as does being first to market, but sometimes the things that you don't think of...in good IP strategy, can be more important to the ultimate success of a product."
- Dako's patenting process of flagship products - "The key part about the process is that it has to be iterative, it has to be proactive."
- How Apple use trademark and copyright to complement patent strategy
This whitepaper was created in collaboration with Legal IQ's 7th Annual Global Patent Congress, taking place in Copenhagen, 24th - 26th September.
This content forms part of the event's resource centre, which also includes and interview with Peter Ericsson Nestler, Head of Patents at ST-Ericsson about How ST-Ericsson is Driving Revenue from their Patent Portfolio.
Press are invited to attend this important industry forum. If you would like to a complimentary press pass please email Nishkala Thiru at Nishkala.Thiru@iqpc.co.uk or call +44(0)20-7368-9300.
SOURCE Legal IQ