SUNNYVALE, Calif., Sept. 8, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- AffordableSchools.net (http://affordableschools.net) -- a college rankings site centering on unique and affordable academic programs -- announced the release of its newest online masters programs rankings list, featuring the 25 Most Affordable Online Master's of Nursing Degrees.
The top three schools on this AffordableSchools.net's rankings list are: (1) Southwest Baptist University (Bolivar, Missouri); (2) Grantham University (Lenexa, Kansas); (3) Alcorn State University (Alcorn State, Mississippi). The complete list of all 25 U.S. colleges and universities, in alphabetical order, comprises:
* Alcorn State University (Alcorn State, Mississippi)
* American Sentinel University (Aurora, Colorado)
* Concordia University-Irvine (Irvine, California)
* Delta State University (Cleveland, Mississippi)
* Gardner-Webb University (Boiling Springs, North Carolina)
* Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, Arizona)
* Grantham University (Lenexa, Kansas)
* Herzing University-Birmingham (Birmingham, Alabama)
* Indiana Wesleyan University-Marion (Marion, Indiana)
* King University (Bristol, Tennessee)
* Liberty University (Lynchburg, Virginia)
* Lynchburg College (Lynchburg, Virginia)
* McKendree University (Lebanon, Illinois)
* MidAmerica Nazarene University (Olathe, Kansas)
* Oklahoma Baptist University (Shawnee, Oklahoma)
* Research College of Nursing (Kansas City, Missouri)
* Saint Francis Medical Center College of Nursing (Peoria, Illinois)
* Southwest Baptist University (Bolivar, Missouri)
* Spring Arbor University (Spring Arbor, Michigan)
* Stevenson University (Stevenson, Maryland)
* United States University (Chula Vista, California)
* University of Central Arkansas (Conway, Arkansas)
* University of North Alabama (Florence, Alabama)
* Wilmington University (New Castle, Delaware)
* Wilson College (Chambersburg, Pennsylvania)
"Not surprisingly, America has a love affair with those that take care of us, heal us -- doctors, nurses, caregivers in general," said the article's lead researcher, Raj Dash. "At least in pop culture mediums such as television. Consider the popularity of TV shows in healthcare settings such as hospitals and clinics. From the soaps ("General Hospital"), to the dramas ("Grey's Anatomy"), to the military ("M*A*S*H," "Combat Hospital"), to the edgy ("Nurse Jackie"), to the comedic ("Becker," "Scrubs"), to the goofy ("Childrens Hospital).
"Despite the popularity, there has been an ongoing shortage of nurses in the United States on and off for decades, and we're in one right now, for multiple reasons. One reason was covered in our recent ranking of online master's degrees in nursing education -- which addressed the shortage of nurse educators, and the resulting turning away of college students seeking to study nursing.
"This new rankings article provides a broader look at the most affordable colleges offering online master's degrees in registered nursing in general, to give current nurses an overview of some of the types of advanced-practice registered nurse (APRN) studies and occupations that are available."
College rankings for this article were compiled with data from NCES (National Center for Education Statistics), a bureau of the Dept. of Education (http://nces.ed.gov/). We first queried for graduate institutions that grant degrees in the NCES categories "Registered Nursing/Registered Nurse" and "Registered Nursing, Nursing Administration, Nursing Research and Clinical Nursing, Other" on a distance basis. We then filtered out colleges that are based in U.S. protectorate nations, sorted by increasing out-of-state tuition, filtered out doctoral-only and certificate-only colleges, and filtered for active online masters degree programs. This resulted in our list of the 25 most affordable online masters programs in registered nursing. Similar topical rankings will be published at AffordableSchools (http://affordableschools.net) -- a college search and rankings site with a focus on affordable colleges and programs -- on a regular basis.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/affordableschoolsnet-releases-its-affordability-ranking-of-online-masters-level-nursing-degrees-300324729.html