AMSTERDAM and SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- AVG Technologies N.V. (NYSE: AVG), the provider of Internet and mobile security, privacy and optimization to 172 million active users, today introduces two new applications to help maintain, clean up, and protect Apple® Mac® OS X® computers.
AVG Cleaner™ for Mac provides MacBook Air®, MacBook Pro®, iMac® and Mac Pro® users running OS X Mavericks (and previous) with a simple and effective way to keep their favorite devices running at peak performance. AVG Cleaner for Mac, available to download for free from the Mac App Store, tackles the invisible data trash and unwanted duplicate files that gather on a computer through everyday usage, helping keep disk space available for storing precious photos, music and other important files.
AVG AntiVirus for Mac (currently being released in Beta test version) is also free to download from AVG's Beta program and features a powerful security engine that works in real time to detect and remove viruses and spyware that could infect your Mac or be passed on to your PC or mobile devices. This is the latest product in AVG's comprehensive range of free protection products for devices running on today's most popular platforms and within the Beta program, we welcome early user feedback to help us refine the features.
AVG Cleaner for Mac makes finding and removing hidden clutter and duplicates easy, including:
- Forgotten duplicate files: Viewing, copying and editing files could result in duplicate music, photos, videos and documents taking up gigabytes of space on a drive.
- Uninstall leftovers: Even if an application has been uninstalled, unneeded cache files may remain
- Download folder: Many old unneeded files including setup files, videos, pictures and documents may end up in the OS X download folder.
- Browser cache: Safari®, Chrome®, and Firefox® web browsers store non critical temporary cache files and cookies in a cache folder. Deleting this cache not only frees up drive space but can help protect privacy.
- Crash files and logs: update logs and crash reports are created automatically by both Mac OS and 3rd party applications. This data is not critical and can waste a lot of drive space...
Sneak Peek - AVG AntiVirus for Mac Beta protects Mac users from viruses and spyware and delivers:
- Triple protection: AVG's award winning detection technology scans for Mac, PC, and mobile-based malware. As well as protecting the user's Mac and that they don't transfer malware to their other devices or share them with friends or co-workers
- Drag & drop functionality: Users can run a thorough scan of their entire Mac or drag and drop files or folders and scan them individually
- Automatic Updates: To stay ahead of the growing number of Mac threats, AVG is constantly innovating and evolving the detection methods. Updates to AVG's virus database get pushed to users automatically, so their Mac protection is always up-to-date.
According to Forrester's Q2 2012 North American Telegraphic Benchmark survey, which profiled Apple Mac and PC users in the US and Canada, Apple Mac users are more likely than PC users to engage in some popular online activities including reading blogs (52 percent v. 35 percent for PC users), watching videos from other users i.e. YouTube® (74 percent v. 59 percent), listening to or downloading music (39 percent v. 26 percent) and viewing photo sharing sites (35 percent v. 22 percent). Given these activities are predominately online, Mac users would be vulnerable to viruses or spyware and collect unnecessary data clutter daily:
"Even Macs can slow down over time simply because of duplicate files, cached data and temporary files clogging up the computer drive. This has a negative impact on the experience of using a Mac. We also know that once an operating system reaches a minimum of 10 percent market share as Apple did in North America in 2012, developing viruses and spyware becomes a lucrative investment for cybercriminals," said David Ferguson, General Manager Consumer & Mobile, AVG Technologies. "Providing security and maintenance apps for the Mac demonstrates our commitment to delivering protection, performance and privacy on every platform, across all devices and for every one of our customers."
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
About AVG Technologies (NYSE: AVG)
AVG's mission is to simplify, optimize and secure the Internet experience, providing peace of mind to a connected world. AVG's powerful yet easy-to‐use software and online services put users in control of their Internet experience. By choosing AVG's software and services, users become part of a trusted global community that benefits from inherent network effects, mutual protection and support. AVG has grown its user base to 172 million active users as of September 30, 2013 and offers a product portfolio that targets the consumer and small business markets and includes Internet security, PC performance optimization, online backup, mobile security, identity protection and family safety software.
Keep in touch with AVG
- For breaking news, follow AVG on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AVGfree
- Join our Facebook community at www.facebook.com/AVG
- Join our LinkedIn community at www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2719797
SOURCE AVG Technologies