Baptist Memorial Health Care Selects Omnicell G4 Platform for Automated Medication Management Award-winning Network of 14 Affiliated Hospitals to Convert to Omnicell
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., June 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Omnicell, Inc. (NASDAQ: OMCL) today announced that all 14 of the affiliated hospitals comprising Baptist Memorial Health Care intend to switch to Omnicell's G4 Unity medication management solutions. The affiliate hospitals, located throughout the mid-south region, plan to make the conversion to Omnicell in a three-phase process across the system, which encompasses over 2,300 licensed hospital beds.
The first phase of the implementation includes Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis and Baptist Memorial Hospital for Women, both in Memphis, as well as Baptist Memorial Hospital-Collierville (located in the metro-Memphis area) and NEA Baptist Memorial Hospital in Jonesboro, Arkansas.
Baptist was motivated to move to Omnicell because the company's solutions can conveniently adapt to both the cartfill and cartless models of medication distribution. The hospitals in the Baptist system currently use both methods of medication distribution, which are also referred to as centralized and decentralized drug-distribution systems. Omnicell's flexibility in working with both distribution models as well as the ability to interface with the pharmacy robot in use at one of the system hospitals were key components in choosing Omnicell.
"The flexibility of Omnicell to adapt to both medication distribution models was key in our decision making," said Dana B. Dye, vice president and chief nursing officer at Baptist.
Omnicell's interoperability with Baptist's electronic medical record provider, Epic, was also crucial in the decision to move to Omnicell medication management technology.
Another important factor in selecting Omnicell was the company's ability to maintain a virtual server. All of the system-wide medication data will eventually reside on two central virtual servers.
The products in the initial implementation include:
- OmniRx® G4 Automated Medication Dispensing Cabinets, a complete system for efficiently managing, storing and dispensing medications.
- Controlled Substance Management System (CSM), which shares a database with other G4 Unity solutions, designed to enable true closed-loop accountability of controlled substances and provide consistent patient, user and formulary information across pharmacy automation systems.
- Anesthesia Workstation™ , an automated dispensing cabinet for the operating room designed to provide secure, convenient access to drugs required during surgery and easy documentation of controlled substance use.
- Pandora® Analytics, which provides insight into clinical operations, helping to identify potential diversion, ensure compliance and monitor nursing medication administration processes.
"We are delighted to welcome Baptist Memorial Health Care, regarded as one of the premier healthcare systems in the nation, to the Omnicell family," said J. Christopher Drew, executive vice president, field operations. "We look forward to partnering with the affiliate hospitals to ensure that we are supporting the most optimal processes in each of their individual facilities."
About Baptist Memorial Health Care
One of the largest not-for-profit health care systems in the United States, Baptist Memorial Health Care offers a full continuum of care to communities throughout the Mid-South. Baptist recently was ranked No. 2 among large employers and No. 23 overall nationally in Modern Healthcare magazine's top 100 "Best Places to Work in Healthcare." The Baptist system, which consistently ranks among the top integrated health care networks in the nation, comprises 14 affiliate hospitals in West Tennessee, North Mississippi and East Arkansas; more than 4,000 affiliated physicians; Baptist Medical Group, a multispecialty physician group with more than 400 providers; home, hospice and psychiatric care; minor medical centers and clinics; a network of surgery, rehabilitation and other outpatient centers; and an education system highlighted by the Baptist College of Health Sciences.
For over 20 years the mission of Omnicell (NASDAQ: OMCL) has been creating new efficiencies to improve patient care, anywhere it is delivered. Omnicell is a leading supplier of comprehensive automation and business analytics software solutions for patient-centric medication and supply management across the entire healthcare continuum, from the acute care hospital setting to post-acute skilled nursing and long-term care facilities to the home.
Since 1992, more than 2,600 Acute Care customers worldwide have utilized Omnicell's medication automation, supply chain and analytics solutions to increase operational efficiency, reduce errors, deliver actionable intelligence and improve patient safety. Omnicell Non-Acute Care solutions, including its MTS Medication Technologies brand, provide innovative medication adherence packaging solutions that can reduce costly hospital readmissions and enable approximately 6,000 institutional and retail pharmacies worldwide to maintain high accuracy and quality standards in medication dispensing and administration while optimizing productivity and controlling costs.
For more information about Omnicell, Inc. please visit www.omnicell.com.
OMCL - G
- All Omnicell news releases (financial, acquisitions, products, technology etc.) are issued exclusively by PR Newswire and are immediately thereafter posted on the Company's external website, omnicell.com.
- Omnicell and the Omnicell logo design are registered trademarks of Omnicell, Inc. OptiFlex is a trademark of Omnicell, Inc.
- All other brand or product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
SOURCE Omnicell, Inc.