Broadcom Unveils World's Most Highly Integrated Processor SoC for 5G WiFi Enterprise Access Points (1) New StrataGX™ Series Addresses Growing Bring-Your-Own-Device and Security Requirements in the Enterprise
LAS VEGAS, May 7, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Interop 2013
- Cost-effective SoC delivers up to 10x more processing power and 80 percent lower power consumption2
- High performance security accelerators protect against malware while delivering higher data rates
- Programmable accelerators support offload capabilities, including wireless tunneling
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced a highly integrated processor system-on-a-chip (SoC) for enterprise access points (EAPs). Designed to optimize 5G WiFi, the latest IEEE 802.11ac standard, the ARM®-based StrataGX™ BCM58522 Series combines up to 10x more processing power with advanced architectural features to enable a secure, application-aware unified wired and wireless enterprise network. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
As the number of connected devices and cloud-based applications continues to climb, legacy networks are facing increased performance and capacity challenges that exert unique pressures on EAPs. With the emergence of bring-your-own-device (BYOD), IT managers are also facing intense security challenges as cyber threats rise. According to service provider NQ Mobile's 2012 Security Report, malware attacks on mobile devices grew 163 percent in 20123. New capabilities in the Broadcom StrataGX Series address these challenges through integrated hardware cryptographic accelerators, virtual private network (VPN) support and sufficient control processing bandwidth to ensure high levels of performance.
"Our latest StrataGX Series continues the rapid expansion of the StrataGX portfolio with sophisticated new security features to protect networks from malware and other threats that continue to challenge the enterprise," said Ed Redmond, Broadcom Vice President and General Manager, Compute and Connectivity. "Broadcom is delivering a highly integrated, power-efficient processor to enable the rapid adoption of BYOD and demand for 5G WiFi in the enterprise."
The StrataGX BCM58522 Series delivers the following key benefits:
- Delivers high-performance Wi-Fi for large venues such as stadiums, arenas and convention centers
- Integrated dual-core ARM CPU, Ethernet switch, accelerator engines, high-speed I/O and memory interfaces meets power requirements and size constraints of EAPs – reducing power consumption up to 80 percent2
- Programmable packet and protocol accelerator enables high-performance offload of control and provisioning of wireless access points (CAPWAP) and generic routing encapsulation (GRE) tunneling
- Low-power modes allow EAPs to be powered by IEEE 802.3af Power over Ethernet (PoE)
- Linux Development Kit (LDK), reference designs and standard open source software tools reduce engineering development and time-to-market
- Pairing the StrataGX BCM58522 Series with Broadcom® 5G WiFi BCM43460 or BCM43520 devices delivers the performance required for mission-critical Wi-Fi access
The BCM58522 Series is now sampling with volume production slated for Q413. A complete reference platform including the BCM58522 Series and Broadcom 5G WiFi devices is also now available. See Broadcom's complete portfolio of networking solutions for the data center and enterprise at Interop 2013 booth #2039.
1Compared to competitive devices
2Compared to previous generation devices
3NQ Mobile 2012 Security Report
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® StrataGX™ and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Infrastructure & Networking