Burford Group Expands U.S. Team Appoints Georgetown Law Professor Jonathan Molot as Chief Investment Officer
NEW YORK, Jan. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Burford Group Limited ("Burford Group"), Investment Advisor to the publicly-traded commercial dispute investor Burford Capital Limited, today announced four new additions to its U.S. team. Burford Capital, one of the largest dispute financiers in the world, is experiencing strong interest in its investment proposition, and Burford Group is rapidly expanding as a result.
"We are very pleased with the development of our expanded team and are thrilled to have a world-class talent like Jon Molot join as a full partner and Chief Investment Officer," Selvyn Seidel, Burford Group's Chairman, said. "The commitment from all of these well-respected professionals solidifies our leading market position in this growing, substantive asset class focused on the corporate litigation industry."
To support the Company's growth plans and investment review process, the firm has made the following key appointments:
- Jonathan T. Molot has been appointed as the Chief Investment Officer of Burford Group and has become a full equity partner.(1) Mr. Molot has chaired Burford Group's Investment Committee since inception. Mr. Molot is also a Professor of Law at Georgetown University Law Center and has been a visiting professor at Harvard Law School. Mr. Molot has also been a senior advisor to the Obama Transition Team and to the US Treasury Department during the early days of the Obama Administration. Mr. Molot is a magna cum laude graduate of Harvard Law School and Yale University, clerked for the United States Supreme Court, is an experienced litigator, and is an expert in litigation risk management and litigation finance.
- Peter Benzian has been appointed a Managing Director of Burford Group LLC, Burford Group's US subsidiary, with responsibility for complex investment review and monitoring. Mr. Benzian was for many years a senior partner at Latham & Watkins and Chairman of the Litigation Department of Latham's San Diego office. He is a member of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy and a member of the Board of Governors and Past President of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers of San Diego. Mr. Benzian is a highly experienced commercial trial lawyer.
- Renee Russell has been appointed Manager, Business Affairs of Burford Group LLC. Ms. Russell started her career at Goldman Sachs and Time Warner and later attended law school, graduating cum laude and in the top 5% of the class from Howard Law School, and practised as an Assistant District Attorney in New York City before joining Burford Group LLC.
- Stefanie Meyenhofer-Peters has joined the investment review team of Burford Group LLC. Ms. Meyenhofer-Peters holds a Masters of Law, magna cum laude, from the University of Fribourg Law School in Switzerland and is a qualified and experienced Swiss lawyer who has also recently completed a second Masters of Laws degree from the University of Chicago Law School.
"These strategic hires will further assert our position as the true market leader in this emerging and rapidly growing asset class," Christopher Bogart, Chief Executive Officer of Burford Group, said. "The market continues to show increasing appetite levels for corporate litigation investments and, with our expanded team, we expect to heighten our presence by taking further advantage of these opportunities."
(1) Subject to the approval of the Guernsey Financial Services Commission.
About Burford Group Limited
Burford Group Limited acts as Investment Adviser to Burford Capital. The principals of the Investment Adviser are Christopher Bogart, Selvyn Seidel and Jonathan Molot. Mr. Seidel has 40 years of experience as a practicing litigator and chaired a variety of litigation and arbitration activities and cases for one of the largest law firms in the world. Mr. Bogart has been a practicing litigator, the general counsel of a Fortune 50 corporation managing a portfolio of litigation, and an investment manager. Mr. Molot has been a practicing litigator, a senior advisor to the Obama Administration, a law school professor, and one of the leading US experts in litigation finance and risk transfer. For more information, please view the website at http://burfordgroupltd.com.
SOURCE Burford Group Limited