Caledonia Best Bring Together Dougie Maclean and AMWWF for New Version of 'Caledonia'
GLASGOW, Scotland, February 15, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Leading Scottish ale Caledonia Best has brought together folk icon Dougie MacLean and rising Dundee band Anderson, McGinty, Webster, Ward and Fisher (AMWWF) to record a new version of the iconic Caledonia.
The collaboration came after AMWWF recorded its own version of the 'unofficial' Scottish anthem for Caledonia Best's first TV advertising campaign which was launched in December. The recording has proven popular and Caledonia Best brought Dougie and the band together for a session.
Caledonia Best, which was launched by Tennent Caledonia in 2011, is made from 100% Scottish barley and has built a strong position in the Scottish ale market.
Paul Condron, Marketing Director at Tennent Caledonian, said:
"For many Scots, Caledonia has become an unofficial national anthem and its lyrics evoke a great feeling of pride - Caledonia Best truly is an ale for Scotland and the song was a natural fit for our ad. We've been overwhelmed by the positive response to Anderson, McGinty, Webster, Ward and Fisher's version of the song for the ad, and it has been an honour to be able to bring the band together with Dougie MacLean. It's great to be able to share the results of what was a fantastic session involving such talented artists, and I know this new recording will prove incredibly popular with music fans."
Dougie MacLean OBE is one of the country's most influential and celebrated artists and AMWWF has been widely hailed by critics as a band to watch in 2013.
Dougie MacLean said:
"I was really impressed with the band's version of Caledonia, and when Caledonia Best contacted me and suggested we meet up, it seemed only natural that we get together and play some music. The guys came to visit me at my home near Dunkeld, and we had a great time recording a new version of the song. They're very talented musicians and I think they've really put their stamp on the song - it was great to work with them."
Dave Webster of AMWWF added:
"I've yet to meet a single person from Scotland who isn't familiar with the song Caledonia. Often people are put off by the idea of 'cover versions,' especially when it's such a well known song because there's the risk you could upset a lot of people if you get it wrong. Since recording the Caledonia Best advert I've met a lot of people with their own story attached to the song and the feedback they've given our version has generally been great. During the recording process it did play on our mind a wee bit what Dougie would think as we've a lot of respect for him and his music but the very fact he agreed to have us collaborate with him was a huge compliment and a wonderful experience."
Highlights from the session were captured on film, with the song Caledonia now available for streaming online on Caledonia Best's YouTube channel. Check out http://www.YouTube.com/CaledoniaBest and join the conversation on twitter with #caledoniabest
Notes to Editors:
- Caledonia Best uses the very best ingredients that Scotland has to offer. Crafted in the famous Wellpark brewery, it combines 100% Scottish barley and water from Loch Katrine with the skill and dedication of an exceptional team of Master Brewers, producing an ale perfect for Scotland.
- Caledonia Best enjoyed the most successful on-trade launch in the last three years with 1,400 stockists secured in Scotland (source: CGA Strategy)
- Caledonia Best is committed to Scotland. Whether through sporting partnerships across Rugby and Golf, or its pledge to source all barley from Scottish farmers, Caledonia Best is committed to celebrating the best Scotland has to offer.
- The Caledonia Best Seed Fund was introduced to support the two industries at the heart of the pint - brewing and farming in Scotland. With 5 pence from every pint sold in the first six months of its launch (October 2011), the Seed Fund reached a total of £58,000. Applications were invited from individuals and groups based in Scotland with ideas and projects that relate to farming or brewing. The Seed Fund is supporting seven successful applicants with a Seed Fund grant to support projects that would otherwise have difficulty in securing funding at the early stages of their development
- Caledonia Best is the Official Beer of Scottish Rugby. The three-year partnership, the biggest of its kind in Scottish Rugby history, spans the professional game in Scotland, with Caledonia Best becoming the Official Beer partner to the national team, Edinburgh Rugby, Glasgow Warriors and the Emirates Airline Glasgow 7s.
- Caledonia Best is proud to partner with Scottish golfing legend Sam Torrance, the Caledonia Best Clubhouse Captain. The role sees Sam Torrance play a major role in Caledonia Best's golf activity.
About Dougie MacLean
- "Dougie MacLean is Scotland's pre-eminent singer-songwriter and a national musical treasure" (SingOut USA) who has developed a unique blend of lyrical, "roots-based" songwriting and instrumental composition. He is internationally renowned for his song Caledonia, music for Last of the Mohicans and inspired performances.
- His songs have been covered by Paolo Nutini, Amy MacDonald, Ronan Keating, Mary Black, Frankie Miller, Cara Dillon, Kathy Mattea and many other top performers.
- He has received two prestigious Tartan Clef Awards, a place in the Scottish Music Hall of Fame, a Lifetime Achievement Award from BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards and an OBE.
About Anderson, McGinty, Webster, Ward and Fisher
- The band is made up of members of some of Dundee's best known groups
- Formed in late 2011, rising quickly to become 'Ones to Watch 2013'
- The band were picked up by Tennent's as a highlight of the T Break Stage at T in the Park 2012
- The band's latest gig at The Gardyne Theatre in Dundee sold out in 12 hours
SOURCE Tennent Caledonian