Chrysler Group LLC Reports February 2011 U.S. Sales Increased 13 Percent
AUBURN HILLS, Mich., March 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
- February marks the 11th consecutive month of year-over-year sales increases
- February sales improve 36 percent over last month's sales as 2011 models resonate with consumers
- All Jeep® brand models post February sales increases, led by the all-new 2011 Jeep® Grand Cherokee, whose sales were up 31 percent versus February 2010
- Sales of all-new 2011 Dodge Durango three-row SUV up 128 percent versus last month as volumes increase in dealerships
- Both the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the 2011 Dodge Durango earn MotorWeek's respected Drivers' Choice Awards for Best Large Utility
- New 2011 Chrysler 200, basking in the glow of its celebrated Super Bowl ad, posts a 203 percent sales increase compared with last month as greater volumes of the mid-size sedan reach dealership showrooms
- Ram Truck brand posts an 81 percent increase versus a year ago, the brand's 10th consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains
- Ram Light Duty and Heavy Duty pickup trucks, and the Ram Chassis Cabs each post double-digit year-over-year sales gains
- The all-new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the all-new 2011 Chrysler 300 sedan make Kelley Blue Book's Top 10 Family Cars of 2011
Chrysler Group LLC today reported U.S. sales of 95,102, a 13 percent increase compared with sales in February 2010 (84,449 units).
The entire Jeep® product lineup, the Ram pickup truck, the all-new 2011 Dodge Durango three-row SUV, and the new 2011 Chrysler 200 mid-size sedan helped drive the 13 percent sales increase. February marked the 11th consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains.
"Our retail sales were up substantially in February, proof positive that the 16 all-new or significantly-refreshed models we launched during 2010 are resonating with consumers," said Fred Diaz, President and CEO – Ram Truck Brand and Lead Executive for U.S. Sales. "The sustained buzz generated by our Super Bowl commercial has added to the interest and excitement in our 2011 models as they land in dealership showrooms in volume."
February was a solid month for Jeep and Ram Truck as each brand posted year-over-year double-digit percentage sales increases. All five models in the Jeep vehicle lineup posted sales gains in February, led by the all-new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, winner of MotorWeek's prestigious 2011 Drivers' Choice Award for Best Large Utility.
Sales of Ram pickup trucks increased 82 percent in February, marking the 10th consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains. At last month's Chicago Auto Show, Ram Truck further strengthened its lineup unveiling the Ram 1500 Tradesman, a value-priced option package designed to meet the needs of small businessmen, construction jobsites and commercial fleets, and announced a series of upgrades to its Heavy Duty truck lineup that will give it outright class supremacy in trailer towing.
Six Dodge brand models posted sales increases in February, compared to a year ago, and sales of the all-new Dodge Durango were up 128 percent in February versus last month as greater volumes of the new model arrive in showrooms.
In the wake of Chrysler Group's innovative Super Bowl ad, the new 2011 Chrysler 200 sedan was the center of attention in February for the Chrysler brand. Sales of the Chrysler 200 were up 203 percent in February, compared with last month's sales, as dealers took delivery of the model in greater volume.
Chrysler Group finished the month with a 68-day supply of inventory (269,107 units). U.S. industry sales figures for February are projected at an estimated 13.4 SAAR.
February 2011 U.S. Sales Highlights by Brand
Jeep brand sales were up 23 percent in February compared with the same month in 2010. All five Jeep brand models posted a sales increase during the month, led by the brand's flagship Jeep Grand Cherokee and the iconic Jeep Wrangler. Sales of the Jeep Grand Cherokee increased 31 percent in February versus a year ago, while sales of the Jeep Wrangler were up 28 percent. Each Jeep model posted a double-digit percentage sales gain in February. February also marked the 10th consecutive month of year-over-year sales gains for the brand.
Celebrating its 70th anniversary this year, the Jeep brand is offering distinctive 70th Anniversary Edition models of each vehicle in its lineup. The 70th Anniversary Edition models, which pay homage to the history of the legendary Jeep brand, will arrive in dealerships in spring.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee earned MotorWeek's respected Drivers' Choice Award for Best Large Utility in February, and was named the Official Winter Vehicle of New England by the New England Motor Press Association (NEMPA), adding to its growing list of prestigious awards. The Grand Cherokee last week made Kelley Blue Book's annual Top 10 Family Cars of 2011. The KBB editors said that the recently redesigned Grand Cherokee remains every inch the capable off-roader, but improved on-road manners and an elevated level of refinement – most noticeable in its well-appointed cabin – propel Jeep's flagship to new levels of excellence.
The Jeep brand reached an unprecedented domestic automotive milestone in February, as fans on the brand's Facebook page reached and surpassed the 1 million mark. In achieving more than 1 million fans, the Jeep brand exceeds the next closest domestic automotive brand fan's total by more than 450,000.
Ram Truck Brand
The Ram Truck brand posted an 81 percent sales increase in February. Ram pickup truck sales were up 82 percent, compared with the same month in 2010. Both the Light Duty and Heavy Duty pickups, along with the Chassis Cab, posted double-digit percentage sales gains in February versus a year ago.
The brand introduced in Chicago the Ram Tradesman, a value-priced, HEMI®-powered Ram 1500 regular cab truck that appeals to a cost-conscious, new-vehicle buyer who doesn't want to give up performance and capability. The Ram Truck brand also announced in Chicago a Ram Heavy Duty upgrade giving the Cummins Turbo Diesel an unsurpassed 800 lb.-ft. of torque and a best-in-class tow rating of 22,700 lbs.
Also in February, the Ram Truck brand announced that it would launch a new Ram 1500 model with HEMI® performance and sporty appearance aimed squarely at younger customers and first-time buyers. This as-yet-to be-named Ram 1500 model, developed under the code name "Adventurer," offers buyers a standard HEMI V-8 engine with its 20 mpg rating for the same price competitors are charging for their V-6 engines.
The Dodge brand posted a 2 percent sales increase in February. Six Dodge models posted year-over-year percentage sales gains. The new 2011 Dodge Journey mid-size crossover, with five- or seven-passenger seating, posted an 18 percent increase in sales compared with February last year. The all-new 2011 Dodge Durango, winner of MotorWeek's 2011 Drivers' Choice Award for Best Large Utility, posted sales of 2,731 units in February. That's a 128 percent sales increase compared with last month, as the new model continues to gain sales steam.
From minivans to muscle cars, the Dodge brand introduced an entire lineup of new R/T performance models at the Chicago Auto Show in February. Whether it's a Charger, Challenger, Journey, Durango or the Grand Caravan, every Dodge R/T vehicle will have unique handling characteristics, high-tech, high-performing engines, special exhaust tuning, a sport-tuned suspension and performance tires that grip the road.
The new product onslaught continued for the Dodge brand with the announcement in Chicago that the Dodge Charger SRT8 will return for the 2012 model year. Under the hood, the new 6.4-liter HEMI® V-8 delivers more horsepower and torque than the 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 it replaces. It also will offer improved fuel economy.
As sales of the new 2011 Chrysler 200 mid-size sedan build momentum in the marketplace, the Chrysler brand unveiled its new 2011 Chrysler 200 Convertible at the Chicago Auto Show. Redesigned, re-engineered, re-packaged and re-priced for 2011, the Chrysler 200 Convertible is beginning to arrive in dealership showrooms.
"Imported from Detroit," the Chrysler brand's new tagline, and the 2011 Chrysler 200 sedan continue to make a larger-than-life entrance into the mid-size market. Both the tagline and the vehicle made their debut in a first-ever, two-minute advertising spot on Super Bowl Sunday.
Last week, the editors at Kelley Blue Book's www.kbb.com named the new 2011 Chrysler 300 sedan to its list of the Top 10 Family Cars of 2011. Kelley Blue Book noted that there are just a handful of large sedans with family-friendly starting prices, and the 2011 Chrysler 300 is one of the newest and one of the best. KBB noted that for under $30,000 you can treat the family to a well-crafted interior, roomy backseat, uncannily quiet highway ride, keyless entry and start, plus an 8.4-inch LCD control screen.
Also in February, the Chrysler brand unveiled its latest entry to the mid-size segment on the front of the Chrysler Group Headquarters in Auburn Hills, Mich. – a massive building wrap featuring an image of the new 2011 Chrysler 200 and the brand's new tagline. The wrap covers almost the entire west side of the company's 15-story headquarters.
February U.S. Sales Highlights
- Jeep brand sales (28,619 units) increased 23 percent versus the same month last year (23,339 units)
- Jeep Grand Cherokee sales (8,667 units) improved 31 percent compared with February last year (6,614 units)
- Jeep Wrangler sales (7,636 units) increased 28 percent versus February 2010 (5,967 units)
- Jeep Liberty sales (5,896 units) increased 61 percent compared with February last year (3,659 units)
- Jeep Patriot (4,153 units) posted a 39 percent year-over-year sales increase
- Jeep Compass sales (2,267 units) were up 19 percent versus February a year ago (1,911 units)
- Ram Truck brand sales (20,294 units) increased 81 percent compared with the same month last year (11,210 units)
- Ram pickup truck sales (18,644 units) improved 82 percent versus February 2010 (10,267 units)
- Dodge Dakota sales (1,650 units) increased 85 percent versus February 2010 (891 units)
- Dodge brand sales (33,561 units) increased 2 percent versus the same month last year (32,975 units)
- Dodge Grand Caravan sales (10,555 units) increased 12 percent compared with February 2010 (9,390 units)
- Dodge Caliber sales (3,445 units) improved 52 percent versus the same month a year ago (2,263 units)
- Dodge Challenger sales (3,227 units) increased 50 percent versus the same month a year ago (2,145 units)
- Dodge Journey sales (4,884 units) improved 18 percent compared with February a year ago (4,139 units)
- Dodge Nitro sales (1,969 units) increased 64 percent versus February 2010 (1,201 units)
- The all-new 2011 Dodge Durango SUV posted sales of 2,731 units, up 128 percent from last month (1,199 units)
- Sales of the new 2011 Chrysler 200 were up 203 percent compared with sales (765 units) last month
Chrysler Group LLC U.S. Sales Summary Thru February 2011
Town & Country
TOTAL CHRYSLER GROUP LLC
SOURCE Chrysler Group LLC
More by this Source
The New Fiat 500 1957 Edition Arriving Soon in FIAT Studios
Mar 07, 2014, 10:30 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.