The CR Magazine annual 100 Best Corporate Citizens list, which has been published for 18 years, recognizes public companies for their outstanding corporate responsibility performance. The 2017 list included 260 data points of disclosure and performance measurements gathered from publicly available information in the following categories: the environment, climate change, employee relations, human rights, corporate governance, financial performance, and philanthropy and community support.
Clorox, which this year had its strongest performance in the sustainability and social categories, earned its highest ranking since first making the list in 2011. It has now appeared on the list for seven consecutive years.
"Recognition of our corporate responsibility efforts from third parties is important to us," said Clorox Chairman and CEO Benno Dorer. "It means that others acknowledge our dedication to good growth — growth that is not only profitable but also achieved in the right way. And it also reinforces to our consumers, our investors and other stakeholders what we stand for as a company."
Clorox's strong corporate responsibility record is reflected in the following recent achievements:
- A world-class safety performance, with a recordable incident rate of 0.61 versus a world-class benchmark of less than 1.0.
- Employee engagement of 87 percent versus a global benchmark of 79 percent.
- Diversity in corporate governance, with 33 percent minority board members (versus 14 percent Fortune 500 average), 33 percent female board members (versus 20 percent Fortune 500 average) and 50 percent women and minority board members (versus 31 percent Fortune 500 average).
- Diversity in leadership, with women making up 36 percent of the company's executive committee.
- U.S. employee diversity that exceeds U.S. Census diversity.
- Ongoing leadership in voluntary product ingredient disclosure.
- Nearly $17 million in combined cash grants, product donations, cause marketing and employee volunteerism.
- Significant progress in reducing its operational footprint since 2011, including a 25 percent reduction in waste to landfill on a per-case-sold basis, a 17 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, a 14 percent reduction in water consumption and a 14 percent reduction in energy use (versus a 20 percent goal).
Clorox continues to work toward its 2020 corporate responsibility goals, which also include commitments to make sustainability improvements to 50 percent of our products and drive sustainability through the supply chain.
About the 100 Best Corporate Citizens List
The 100 Best Corporate Citizens List is considered one of America's three most important business rankings, according to PR Week. First published in 1999 in Business Ethics Magazine, the list has been managed by CR Magazine since 2007. To compile the list, every company in the Russell 1000, the highest-ranked stocks in the Russell 3000 Index of publicly held U.S. companies, is ranked according to 260 data points. The methodology for generating the list is governed by the Ratings and Rankings Thought Leadership Council of the Corporate Responsibility Association.
Published by Shared Xpertise Media LLC, CR Magazine (www.thecro.com) is the leading voice of the corporate responsibility profession.
The Clorox Company
The Clorox Company (NYSE: CLX) is a leading multinational manufacturer and marketer of consumer and professional products with about 8,000 employees worldwide and fiscal year 2016 sales of $5.8 billion. Clorox markets some of the most trusted and recognized consumer brand names, including its namesake bleach and cleaning products; Pine-Sol® cleaners; Liquid Plumr® clog removers; Poett® home care products; Fresh Step® cat litter; Glad® bags, wraps and containers; Kingsford® charcoal; Hidden Valley® dressings and sauces; Brita® water-filtration products; Burt's Bees® natural personal care products; and Renew Life® digestive health products. The company also markets brands for professional services, including Clorox Healthcare® and Clorox Commercial Solutions®. More than 80 percent of the company's sales are generated from brands that hold the No. 1 or No. 2 market share positions in their categories.
Clorox is a signatory of the United Nations Global Compact, a community of global leaders committed to sustainability. The company also has been broadly recognized for its corporate responsibility efforts, most notably receiving two Climate Leadership Awards for Excellence in 2015 and Safer Choice Partner of the Year Award in 2016 from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as well as being named to CR Magazine's 2017 Best Corporate Citizens list and included in the 2016 Newsweek Green Rankings. The Clorox Company and its foundations contributed nearly $17 million in combined cash grants, product donations, cause marketing and employee volunteerism in the past year. For more information, visit TheCloroxCompany.com, including the Good Growth blog, and follow the company on Twitter at @CloroxCo.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cr-magazine-recognizes-clorox-for-corporate-responsibility-performance-300443106.html
SOURCE The Clorox Company