Eggers is a leading authority on digital government and the best-selling author of eight previous books on public policy and reform, including: "The Solution Revolution: How Business, Government, and Social Enterprises are Teaming up to Solve Society's Biggest Problems," "Governing by Network," "Government 2.0," and "If We Can Put a Man on the Moon."
"Digital transformation requires seeing old problems and processes through new eyes, and it's as much about organizational culture as it is about technology," said Eggers. "Unlocking a digital way of thinking to embrace new tools, disrupt outdated legacy processes, and create a shared vision for citizen-focused government services will be essential to any jurisdiction's ability to function efficiently and compete in a modern global economy."
Government leaders and digital innovators can receive both visionary guidance and practical advice from the book, which features chapters on the traits characteristic of a digital mindset, how to "hack" embedded processes such as hiring, training, project delivery, procurement and security; and the imperative to imagine a new future for government services and programs.
The book includes insights from a survey of more than 1,200 government officials from more than 70 countries on the subject of digital transformation, as well as more than 200 in-depth interviews with public sector leaders and digital experts. It also showcases multiple case studies from governments that successfully reduced costs and expanded their capabilities and efficiencies with the power of digital transformation, including:
- San Francisco's public transit system, which transitioned away from paper bus transfers to an RFID card allowing the city's transportation agency to adjust bus routes by assessing average commute times, passenger density and popular travel hours by neighborhood
- The state of Utah, which has digitized more than 1,100 state services, saving on average $13 per transaction or about $500 million per year
- Estonia, one of the world's most digitized governments, where citizens can file taxes or register a new company online in minutes, and every citizen and business has a unique online identity meaning they never have to fill out the same information twice when interacting with government
- New South Wales, Australia, which is redesigning its child welfare system by focusing on the user experience of the caseworker using ChildStory, a system that allows caseworkers to swiftly and easily track a child's relationships and support networks
- Barcelona, Spain, which equipped lampposts with fiber-optic cables and Wi-Fi so they could double as telecommunications towers capable of monitoring crowds, noise, weather and traffic
"Organizations must orient themselves in the landscape of digital transformation and set a plan for their journey," said Eggers. "But getting from here to there is not just about the technology; it requires a mindset that puts customers and users before organizational interests, turns human-centered design into a core competency, and improves the way governments serve their citizens. Embracing this change is critical for government leaders – the consequences of being left behind in the digital revolution are much too high."
"Delivering on Digital" is available from Rosetta Books and Deloitte University Press at http://www.deliveringondigital.com.
"Delivering on Digital" infographics – http://www.deliveringondigital.com/playbook/
"Delivering on Digital" case studies interactive - http://www.deliveringondigital.com/casestudies/
About Deloitte University Press
Deloitte University Press publishes original articles, reports and periodicals that provide insights for businesses, the public sector and NGOs. Our goal is to draw upon research and experience from throughout our professional services organization, and that of coauthors in academia and business, to advance the conversation on a broad spectrum of topics of interest to executives and government leaders. Deloitte University Press is an imprint of Deloitte Development LLC. For more information visit www.dupress.com.
Deloitte provides industry-leading audit, consulting, tax, and advisory services to many of the world's most admired brands, including 80 percent of the Fortune 500. Our people work across more than 20 industry sectors to deliver measurable and lasting results that help reinforce public trust in our capital markets, inspire clients to make their most challenging business decisions with confidence, and help lead the way toward a stronger economy and a healthy society.
As used in this document, "Deloitte" means Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120803/MM52028LOGO-a
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/delivering-on-digital-provides-a-playbook-for-governments-in-an-age-of-transformation-300280482.html