BARCELONA, Spain, Feb. 27, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Mobile World Congress
- From 18-wheelers to heater cabinets, grocery refrigeration and remote oil rigs, Dell Edge Gateway 3000 Series helps keeps truckers safe, food fresh and processes efficient
- Robust design allows customers to activate secure analytics at the edge of the network
- Incorporates industrial-grade capabilities at a maker community-friendly price with leading global support, service and reliability
- Available for purchase in early summer 2017 starting at $399 USD
Dell, the broadest Internet of Things (IoT) infrastructure solutions provider, introduces the new Dell Edge Gateway 3000 Series that offers customers flexibility, connectivity and real-time intelligence from harsh environments and small spaces. The 3000 Series includes three unique models targeted specifically for use cases and embedded solutions in the industrial automation, energy, transportation, and digital signage markets. With these new Edge Gateways, customers will be able to securely transfer and analyze important data at the edge of the network to glean real-time intelligence from the physical world. Ideal deployments include a vehicle, a refrigerated trailer, a remote oil pump in the desert, digital signs in an elevator or inside of the HVAC units on a roof-top of a casino.
Customers are looking for faster, real-time analysis of the massive amount of data produced by devices on their networks, to perform immediate, smart decision-making. For some, it's too expensive to move all the data from the edge of the network near the devices to the data center. Computing at the edge helps determine which data sets are interesting, relevant and need to be sent back to the data center or the cloud for further analytics and longer term storage, saving bandwidth and reducing costs and security concerns. Dell offers a complete edge to core to cloud portfolio of infrastructure for Industrial IoT solutions that includes everything from Edge Gateways, security and manageability solutions, data center infrastructure and connectivity.
"As the number of connected devices becomes more ubiquitous, we know that intelligent computing at the edge of the network is critical. The IoT continues to enhance customer experience, drive business growth and improve lives, making it central to organizations' digital transformation strategies," said Andy Rhodes, Vice President and General Manager, Internet of Things, Dell. "The small and mighty 3000 Series opens up new opportunities for our customers and partners to get smarter with their data and make big things happen."
The Gateway 3000 Series joins Dell's award-winningi line of IoT-enabling hardware including the Edge Gateway 5000 Series and Embedded Box PC 3000 and 5000 Series. It comes with the Dell Command Suite and an optional upgrade to remote manageability through Dell's Edge Device Manager, allowing customers to manage all their Dell IoT devices through a single tool.
All solutions benefit from Dell's end-to-end support services, including the base Limited Hardware Warrantyii, or optional Dell ProSupportiii for up to five years, and Dell Deployment services. ProSupport on the Gateway 3000 Series includes proactive, automated support, 24/7 access to ProSupport engineers and Advanced Exchange Serviceiv to minimize downtime with a quick unit replacement. There's also pre-qualification with over 65 technology and service providers in the award-winningv Dell IoT Solutions Partner Program; inclusion in more than 20 scalable, repeatable IoT blueprints; and financing options through Dell Financial Services.
The Gateway 3000 Series is designed by Dell's expert team of rugged product engineers and put through a rigorous 10-step testing process. The product line was designed for scale per tens of thousands of hours of feedback through customer advisory councils, industry consortiums and market feedback.
The rugged 3000 Series is complementary to its big brother, the 5000 Series, which is designed to excel in fixed use cases that require modular expansion, large sensor networks and more advanced edge analytics. The 3000 Series is ideal for both fixed and mobile use cases requiring smaller sensor networks, tight spaces and more simple analytics.
"The new Dell Edge Gateway 3000 Series powered by Intel provides powerful edge analytics in a compact form factor. The series bridges the data needs of traditional operational technology with the manageability demands of IT," Ken Caviasca, general manager, IoT Group (IOTG), Intel. "We're excited to continue our collaboration with Dell to help our collective IoT customers connect what matters."
All three models include:
- Intel Atom® processor
- 2 GB RAM and 8 GB eMMC storage (32 GB and SD card for additional storage options)
- Ethernet, USB, certified for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth LE
- Integrated 3G or 4G LTE cellular options for select countries
- Support for hot or cold operating temperature extremes from -30ºC to 70ºC
- Integrated digital GPS, accelerometers, and atmospheric pressure sensors
- Support for a wide input power range from 12-57 VDC (with vehicle transient voltage protection)
- Ability to be powered via Power-over-Ethernet (PoE)
- An ignition pin for easy operation while connected to a battery powered device
Differentiating features between the three models include:
- Industrial Automation and Energy Management, Model 3001; Multi-function I/O port and programmable serial ports (RS-485/422/232).
- Transportation and Logistics, Model 3002; CAN bus for land/marine protocols, integrated ZigBee for mesh sensor networks.
- Digital Signage and Retail, Model 3003; Display Port output for video displays (2560x1600) and 3.5mm line in/line out for quality audio streaming.
While each gateway model is designed to meet core needs in its respective target market, the 3000 Series is suitable to many other industries and use cases. Additional I/O needs can be addressed via third party USB dongles and distributed I/O options as required.
Accessories are also available. A mounting ecosystem for placement in locations like a factory wall DIN rail or under the hood of an 18-wheeler using the available panel mount bracket that also includes cable retention. Several antennas are also certified to match the integrated wireless capabilities as well as expandable storage up to 64GB via SD card.
The Dell Edge Gateway 3000 Series will be available in early summer 2017 in select countries, starting at $399 USD. For more information visit www.dell.com/Gateway3000 or contact a Dell EMC OEM Solutions representative.
- "The fragmented IoT marketplace needs strong leaders guaranteeing long term commitment and proven market credibility. Dell is able to leverage its IoT partner ecosystem and global support organization to provide complete end-to-end solutions, hereby successfully competing with smaller more specialized vendors," said Dominique Bonte, Managing Director and Vice President, ABI Research. "This open platform and ecosystem approach also allows Dell not to alienate potential partners by avoiding competing across the entire value chain with end-to-end proprietary solutions."
- "At Emerson, we need simple, scalable and secure connectivity solutions to help our customers collect data from their industrial equipment and make better business decisions based on that data," said Mike Boudreaux, Director, Connected Services, Emerson. "Working with Dell, we can move faster to bring new reliability and performance services to market. Our work together has enhanced our capabilities, and is a perfect example of how OT and IT partners are critical to success for Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) deployments. The Edge Gateway 3000 Series will enable Emerson to create new innovative solutions that deliver real outcomes to our customers' operations."
- "Our partnership with Dell continues to grow, as our complementary strengths allow us to create innovative, high-value IoT solutions for service providers and enterprise customers across the globe," said Jason Collins, vice president of IoT Marketing at Nokia. "A concrete example is how nicely Nokia's IMPACT IoT platform works with the Dell Edge Gateway 3000 Series, enabling a range of new IoT use cases with analytics at the edge. Also, Dell is heavily engaged with our IoT Community on a variety of projects given that their IoT portfolio is so versatile."
- Eric Duffaut, chief customer officer, Software AG, noted: "The Internet of Things (IoT) has the potential to offer business value that goes far beyond operational cost savings, but rather becomes the foundation for crafting new 'smart' products and services. However, no single vendor in the IoT ecosystem can do it all. Our partnership with Dell exemplifies this by bringing together the best-in-class streaming, edge and predictive analytics capabilities of our Digital Business Platform and the purpose-built Dell Edge Gateways. This powerful combination enables organizations to monitor, manage and act on fast-moving, Big Data at the edge as well as in the cloud in an instant."
- "We've embarked on a digital journey at Weir and IoT will enable us to further enhance the way we serve our global mining, oil and gas and power customers" said Andrew Neilson, Director of Strategy, The Weir Group. "Together, we're building solutions based on Dell Edge Gateways for some of the world's most challenging industrial environments that will allow us to easily monitor large, remote equipment and make better business decisions based on the data."
- Dell IoT Solutions Partner Program
- Life—and Data Analytics—on the Network's Edge
- 6 steps to harnessing the IoT to transform your cold chain fleet
About Dell Inc.
Dell Inc., a part of Dell Technologies, provides customers of all sizes – including 98 percent of the Fortune 500 – with a broad, innovative portfolio from edge to core to cloud. Dell Inc. comprises Dell client as well as Dell EMC infrastructure offerings that enable organizations to modernize, automate and transform their data center while providing today's workforce and consumers what they need to securely connect, produce, and collaborate from anywhere at any time.
Dell, Dell EMC and Dell Inc. are trademarks of Dell Technologies in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.
Intel® is a trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the U.S. and/or other countries
i Award-winning partner program: https://goo.gl/km4PE9
ii Limited Hardware Warranty available by writing Dell USA LP, Attn: Warranties, One Dell Way, Round Rock, TX 78682 or See dell.com/warranty
iii Dell ProSupport availability and terms vary by region See dell.com/servicecontracts/global
iv Advanced Exchange Service replacement part/unit ships, if needed, after phone/online diagnosis. Fee charged for failure to return defective unit. See dell.com/servicecontracts.
v Award-winning products: http://bit.ly/2kmtt6n
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dell-accelerates-iot-adoption-with-new-edge-gateway-for-small-spaces-300413582.html