EarthLink Employees Unite to Help Customers, Community Recover from Tornado Disaster
ATLANTA, June 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- EarthLink, Inc. (NASDAQ: ELNK) a leading IP infrastructure and services company, today announced the corporate and employee efforts undertaken in response to the April 27 tornados that ravaged Alabama. Although many employees were impacted by a loss of property and an EarthLink service center in Arab, AL is temporarily closed due to tornado damage, employees across the country banded together to ensure that customers and colleagues were cared for during the disaster. EarthLink is proud to spotlight the dedicated efforts of our team.
- When tornado damage left the Arab, AL customer care center temporarily uninhabitable, EarthLink's Disaster Recovery team sprang into action and worked to establish more than 100 new work stations and installed voice and data for 175 employees in a nearby building. Despite the setbacks, Arab teams were able to continue assisting customers.
- EarthLink employees contributed a total of $22,756 in cash for American Red Cross tornado relief efforts. This amount was matched by the company dollar for dollar for a total of $45,512. Combined with donations of groceries, gas and supplies, the total amount donated by EarthLink was more than $64,000.
- EarthLink loaned the City of Arab, AL a portable generator from its inventory of disaster response equipment to quickly get the Arab Water Works water pumping system operational again. This facility not only provides clean water to the Arab community, but also to Morgan City, Joppa, Hulaco, Ryan, Hopewell, Georgia Mountain , Union Grove, Warrenton, Beech Creek, and Red Hill, AL. EarthLink received an official letter of appreciation from the Water Works Board of the City of Arab that "expressed its deep gratitude and appreciation for the much needed assistance we were able to provide."
- EarthLink installed the Marshall County Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Mobile Call Center to support FEMA's disaster response efforts. After a Friday request from the City of Guntersville, staff drove to Anniston to deliver 27 VoIP mobile phones that very evening as a temporary solution until landlines could be installed.
- EarthLink employees from across the country rallied around their Alabama counterparts to assist in recovery. In Rochester, NY, employees held a "Garage Sale" of vintage branded items, a bake sale and a clothing drive. The Vancouver, WA office organized an American Red Cross blood drive, where 25 employee donors helped replenish blood supplies that were vastly reduced by the storm.
- Corporate headquarters in Atlanta arranged for daily shipments of food, gas, batteries, flashlights, rain ponchos and other supplies. For employees who experienced damage to property, EarthLink rented storage units and weather-proof storage bins to protect their belongings. In addition, the company donated generators for personal use to families in need.
"All of these stories have one common thread. They are stories about people who truly care about their colleagues, their customers, and their communities," said Rolla P. Huff , EarthLink Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "These stories are the embodiment of what our company culture and value system represents, and I am truly proud to be a part of this remarkable team."
EarthLink, Inc. (NASDAQ: ELNK) is a leading provider of Internet Protocol (IP) infrastructure and services to medium-sized and large businesses, enterprise organizations and over 1.5 million consumers across the United States. The company has been providing Internet access and communications services for decades and has earned an award-winning reputation for both outstanding customer service and product innovation. For consumers, EarthLink is a leading Internet Service Provider connecting people to the power and possibilities of the Internet. EarthLink Business™ provides voice, data, cloud computing, mobile and equipment services over a 28,000 mile fiber network and MPLS-based services nationwide. For more information, visit EarthLink's website www.earthlink.net.
SOURCE EarthLink, Inc.
More by this Source
EarthLink Launches PCI Compliance Solutions for Retailers
May 16, 2013, 09:45 ET
EarthLink to Present at Stifel Nicolaus and B. Riley & Co. Investor Conferences
May 15, 2013, 08:00 ET
EarthLink Prices $300 Million of 7.375% Senior Secured Notes due 2020
May 14, 2013, 14:11 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.