EMC Greenplum and Cloudera Form Alliance to Tackle Big Data Challenge Integration of Cloudera's Distribution for Hadoop and Greenplum Speeds Collaborative Analysis of Structured and Unstructured Data
HOPKINTON, Mass., Sept. 22 /PRNewswire/ -- EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC), the world leader in information infrastructure solutions, today announced a new alliance to enable integration of technology from Cloudera, a leading provider of Hadoop-based data management software and services, with the EMC® Data Computing Products division's Greenplum technology to help businesses better manage and analyze large and continuously growing amounts of structured and unstructured information such as log files, sensor data, streaming data, sales receipts, e-mails, research data and images collectively known as "big data."
- The integration between Cloudera's Distribution for Hadoop (CDH) for collecting, consolidating and analyzing data with EMC's Greenplum® massively parallel processing database and enterprise data cloud platform will provide a robust architecture for collaborative analysis of large amounts of structured (i.e. online databases) and unstructured (i.e. scanned documents) data. The connector between the two products will be supported by both Greenplum and Cloudera.
- Cloudera's data management platform is built on the popular Apache Hadoop open-source software package that consolidates data into a single, reliable repository for comprehensive analysis at lower costs while enabling fast, sophisticated, detailed processing and analysis of the data.
- Data staged by Cloudera's Distribution for Hadoop will be integrated with the EMC® Greenplum Chorus™ platform, which uses cloud computing techniques and social collaboration for enterprise data warehousing and analytics. As a result, users will be able to discover, access and analyze data from both Greenplum databases and Hadoop infrastructure seamlessly.
- The alliance between EMC and Cloudera expands EMC's software functionality, while introducing the capabilities of Cloudera to new customers. Under the agreement, in addition to technical integration EMC and Cloudera will work together on joint sales activities.
- EMC will be exhibiting and presenting on its relationship with Cloudera at the annual Hadoop World conference taking place in New York City on October 12.
"EMC is building the data system of the future, a system that brings together all of your data, all of your tools, and all of your people," said Bill Cook, Senior Vice President and General Manager of EMC's Data Computing Products Division. "EMC and Cloudera represent a powerful combination of what we can deliver to customers. By bringing together our solutions, our customers have a powerful tool for collaborative data analysis and can more quickly and effectively analyze data from a variety of sources."
"Together EMC and Cloudera have a real opportunity to change the way companies collect, process and analyze data," said Michael Olson, CEO of Cloudera. "Customers can use Cloudera's Distribution for Hadoop to inexpensively stage complex and structured data, while Greenplum Chorus utilizes its cloud-based platform to extract data from a variety of sources and enables collaborative analysis for many users."
About Greenplum and the Data Computing Products Division of EMC
EMC's new Data Computing Products Division is driving the future of data warehousing and analytics with breakthrough products including Greenplum Database, Greenplum Database Single-Node Edition and Greenplum Chorus – the industry's first Enterprise Data Cloud platform. The division's products embody the power of open systems, cloud computing, virtualization, and social collaboration, enabling global organizations to gain greater insight and value from their data than ever before possible.
EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) is the world's leading developer and provider of information infrastructure technology and solutions that enable organizations of all sizes to transform the way they compete and create value from their information. Information about EMC's products and services can be found at www.EMC.com.
EMC, Greenplum and Greenplum Chorus are trademarks or registered trademarks of EMC Corporation in the US and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners
This release contains "forward-looking statements" as defined under the Federal Securities Laws. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to: (i) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (ii) delays or reductions in information technology spending; (iii) our ability to protect our proprietary technology; (iv) risks associated with managing the growth of our business, including risks associated with acquisitions and investments and the challenges and costs of integration, restructuring and achieving anticipated synergies; (v) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures and new product introductions; (vi) the relative and varying rates of product price and component cost declines and the volume and mixture of product and services revenues; (vii) component and product quality and availability; (viii) the transition to new products, the uncertainty of customer acceptance of new product offerings and rapid technological and market change; (ix) insufficient, excess or obsolete inventory; (x) war or acts of terrorism; (xi) the ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees; (xii) fluctuating currency exchange rates; and (xiii) other one-time events and other important factors disclosed previously and from time to time in EMC's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. EMC disclaims any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
SOURCE EMC Corporation