EMC Redefines Data Protection for a Software-Defined World Major Innovations Across EMC Data Protection Portfolio Enable Customers to Address Continuum of Requirements and Deliver Data Protection-as-a-Service
HOPKINTON, Mass., April 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
- EMC helps customers establish effective data protection for software-defined data centers.
- New data protection-as-a-service solutions span the full continuum of data protection requirements, enabling EMC customers to confidently transition to software-defined data centers and fully exploit the cost and operational advantages they deliver.
- EMC Data Protection Suite enhancements, a new EMC Data Domain Operating System and new releases of EMC VPLEX and EMC RecoverPoint deliver powerful new capabilities today, while laying the foundation for the future.
- Learn more by attending the Redefine with EMC Data Protection broadcast today at 11:00 a.m. EDT, 4:00 p.m. GMT, for an in-depth review of new data protection and availability products and strategies.
Interact and Share:
- Interact online with EMC data protection experts and ask questions about the new products
- Stay connected with EMC Data Protection: Twitter, Facebook and YouTube
- Follow the EMC Data Protection Community and join in the conversation
Today EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) announced new products and technologies that address the full continuum of data protection requirements facing users, both today and as they address the challenge of transitioning to software-defined data centers.
In software-defined data centers, infrastructure is virtualized and delivered as a service. To maintain effective protection during the transition to next generation environments, data protection strategies and technologies must also evolve to a service-based delivery model.
EMC's data protection solutions span the full range of customers' data protection needs, from archive to continuous availability for physical, virtual and cloud environments. With today's announcement, EMC adds new integrations with primary and protection storage platforms, and with hypervisors and enterprise applications, while extending support for cloud environments and delivering new technologies that enable data protection-as-a-service delivery. These innovations drive new efficiencies into customer environments today, while laying a foundation that helps EMC customers move confidently to software-defined data centers.
New Product and Technology Highlights
Evolution of the EMC Data Protection Suite
The EMC® Data Protection Suite™ redefines the usage model for data protection software by enabling flexible application of integrated products to optimize both on-premise and cloud-based backup and archive environments as they evolve. The Data Protection Suite consists of EMC's Avamar®, NetWorker®, Data Protection Advisor™, Mozy® and SourceOne™ software offerings. With this significant release of the Data Protection Suite, new capabilities include:
- Snapshot Management for EMC Isilon®, EMC VNX® and NetApp arrays to improve protection for NAS-based data.
- Deep support for VMware and Microsoft cloud infrastructures via unique integration with VMware vCloud Suite and Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager.
- Full integration between Avamar and Data Domain® provides the best that both platforms can offer.
- Enhanced security features and new Linux support for Mozy public clouds enable greater adoption by enterprise customers.
New Protection Storage Capabilities
With the introduction of a new EMC Data Domain Operating System™, EMC continues to evolve Data Domain's position as the industry's de-facto open protection storage platform, with capabilities that extend its support far beyond just backup to establish it as a cornerstone for enabling delivery of data protection as-a-service. New capabilities include:
- The introduction of Data Domain DD Boost™ for Enterprise Applications, which empowers application admins to protect their own environments and includes support for Oracle, SAP® solutions, the SAP HANA® platform, IBM DB2 and Microsoft SQL Server.
- New secure multi-tenancy feature for cloud deployments enables Data Domain systems to deliver secure isolation for large enterprises and service providers and effectively function as a protection storage platform in data protection as-a-service deployments.
- Archive storage enhancements include support for 1 billion files, further broadening Data Domain systems' supported use cases.
New VPLEX and RecoverPoint Software Releases
Through new software releases from the EMC VPLEX® and EMC RecoverPoint® product lines, EMC accentuates its unique ability to address the full continuum of data protection needs, offering continuous availability, mobility and disaster recovery for more environments and multi-site configurations:
- VPLEX and RecoverPoint now combine to deliver MetroPoint™ topology, an industry-unique 3 site business continuity capability for mission critical applications. MetroPoint topology combines VPLEX Metro™ continuous availability with RecoverPoint remote replication and continuous data protection (CDP) to efficiently deliver comprehensive operational and disaster recovery over any distance.
- EMC also introduces a new product, VPLEX Virtual Edition - the industry's first virtualized solution to market that offers both continuous availability and data mobility in a low-cost, 100% software deployment. With VPLEX Virtual Edition, EMC extends the market for continuous availability and mobility as customers of all sizes can now take advantage of proven VPLEX technology. VPLEX Virtual Edition will also be made available as part of VSPEX Proven Infrastructure solutions.
EMC Global Services
Complementing these new data protection products and capabilities is the EMC Blueprint for Backup Architecture™ service. Through this service, EMC establishes comprehensive baseline information for an organization's current data protection capabilities, providing specific strategic and design insights into their environment and practices, along with recommendations for improvement. As a result, customers are provided with a roadmap for advancing their current data protection operations towards a data protection-as-a-service model with lower cost, less risk, and better performance; freeing them to drive innovation and increase revenue for their enterprise.
Swamy Kocherlakota, Global Head of Infrastructure Architecture and Engineering, BNY Mellon
"Complexity around data protection in the enterprise is increasing, especially in light of the advancements for private, public and hybrid cloud implementation patterns. Successfully architecting and delivering an effective enterprise data protection infrastructure requires an end-to-end view of the enabling underlying infrastructure components with out-of-the-box integration, automation where possible. EMC is uniquely positioned to deliver the vision to the needs of large enterprises like BNY Mellon."
Sanjay Katyal, Vice President, Global Strategic Alliances, VMware
"With innovations such as advanced support for VMware vCloud Suite and a new virtual edition of VPLEX, EMC's data protection solutions are advancing the protection of cloud infrastructures and aligning closely to VMware's cloud management vision and pathway to the software-defined enterprise."
Jason Buffington, Senior Analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group
"Taken in sum, these comprehensive product announcements reflect EMC's ability to address the full spectrum of data protection needs in customer environments. Delivery of data protection as-a-service, together with the ability to solve for the full 'continuum' of protection requirements and consolidate workloads to a single protection storage platform, presents strong underpinnings for EMC's long-range vision for data protection in next generation IT environments."
EMC Executive Quote:
Guy Churchward, President, EMC Data Protection and Availability Division
"Over the past few years we've delivered numerous integrations that, together with a workload-agnostic protection storage platform as an anchor, provide a Protection Storage Architecture. Today, we are announcing products and new integrations that enable customers to deliver a complete spectrum of data protection and availability capabilities as a holistic, consumable service. Data protection-as-a-service is a key tenant for establishing effective protection for software-defined data centers—a 'bedrock' that needs to be in place for organizations to confidently transition to 3rd platform software infrastructures."
New Product Availability
All new EMC data protection products will be generally available in second quarter of 2014. The Blueprint for Backup Architecture service is available immediately.
- View the new Data Domain Operating System 5.5 page
- View Avamar 7.1 data sheets and other resources
- Explore the new NetWorker 8.2 Snapshot Management capabilities
- Visit the new VPLEX Virtual Edition 2.0 product page
- Visit the new VPLEX 5.4 product page
- Visit the new RecoverPoint 4.1 product page
- Read new Mozy blog: Expanding the Data Protection Continuum with the Cloud
- View the Blueprint for Backup Architecture Service Overview
- Explore EMC latest data protection products in the EMC Store
EMC Corporation is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver IT as a service. Fundamental to this transformation is cloud computing. Through innovative products and services, EMC accelerates the journey to cloud computing, helping IT departments to store, manage, protect and analyze their most valuable asset — information — in a more agile, trusted and cost-efficient way. Additional information about EMC can be found at www.EMC.com.
EMC, Avamar, Data Domain, Data Protection Advisor, Data Protection Suite, DD Boost, EMC RecoverPoint, Isilon, Metro, MetroPoint, Mozy, NetWorker, SourceOne, VNX, and VPLEX are registered trademarks or trademarks of EMC Corporation in the United States and other countries. SAP, SAP HANA and all SAP logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP AG in Germany and in several other countries. All other trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE EMC Corporation