REDWOOD CITY, Calif., May 9, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that it has been ranked 16th by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in the National Top 100 List of the largest green power users. Equinix's use of green power delivers value to its customers, who are in turn able to increase the percentage of green power consumed in their own digital supply chains.
- Equinix uses more than 571 million kilowatt-hours (kWh) of green power annually, which represents 43 percent of its total U.S. power needs. Equinix's choice to use green power is helping to advance the green power market and support clean renewable energy alternatives for itself and its customers.
- Equinix's use of green power has increased to 571 million kWh (representing 43 percent of U.S. load) in 2016 from last reported 306 million kWh (spanning September 2015 to August 2016), representing 25 percent of its U.S. load during that time, as reported in the EPA's April 2016 Top 100 report.
- Equinix was ranked number seven on the EPA's Top 30 Tech and Telecom companies list, behind industry leaders such as Intel, Microsoft, Google and Apple. It also had the highest percentage of its total U.S. power needs supplied by green energy of any Data Center and Interconnection provider.
- According to the U.S. EPA, Equinix's green power use of more than 571 million kWh is equivalent to the electricity use of more than 52,000 average American homes annually.
- Equinix has also been commended for its long-term commitment to using green power as it also appears on the EPA's Long-term Green Power Contracts list in recognition of the company's 15-year commitment to purchase green power.
- Equinix is committed to 100 percent clean and renewable energy for its entire global footprint of more than 175 data centers located in 44 markets. For more information about Equinix's sustainability practices, please visit: http://www.equinix.com/company/sustainability.
- Sam Kapoor, chief global operations officer, Equinix
"It is an honor to receive this recognition from the EPA and we are pleased by our upward momentum on the list. This past year, Equinix has achieved a major milestone by bringing two new wind farms online. Equinix is on track to be 50 percent renewable globally by the end of 2017 and is progressing steadily towards our goal to use 100 percent clean and renewable energy."
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most interconnected data centers. In 44 markets across five continents, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. www.equinix.com.
About EPA's Green Power Partnership
The Green Power Partnership is a voluntary program that encourages organizations to use green power as a way to reduce the environmental impacts associated with electricity use. The Partnership currently has more than 1,400 Partner organizations voluntarily using more than 40 billion kilowatt-hours of green power annually. Partners include a wide variety of leading organizations such as Fortune 500® companies; small and medium sized businesses; local, state, and federal governments; and colleges and universities. For additional information, please visit http://www.epa.gov/greenpower.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/equinix-recognized-by-the-us-environmental-protection-agency-as-top-user-of-green-power-300453711.html
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.