CHICAGO, April 5, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Expedia, Inc. is proud to be hosting its first public hackathon in Chicago, featuring Expedia's global Application Program Interfaces (APIs), on April 30 – May 1, 2016, at TechNexus.
Expedia, Inc. recently acquired Orbitz Worldwide, which has a strong presence in the Chicago area. The merged engineering teams are eager to band together with local software developers and innovators for a weekend dedicated to developing new ideas and programming concepts, while experimenting with the company's renowned global software. Participants will have two days to identify new ideas and turn them into working prototypes. Final products will be pitched to a panel of judges consisting of members from Expedia's technology team and Chicago-based industry authorities including Pascal Collet, Senior Director of Technology at Expedia Worldwide Engineering and Ryan Kowalczyk Senior Director of Global Product at Expedia, Inc. Winning prizes are sure to delight the crowd and entice bold concepts.
"Expedia has a great pool of resources in the Chicago area and we are proud to host our first joint Expedia.com and Orbitz.com hackathon in the region," said Tony Donohoe, SVP and CTO, Expedia Worldwide Engineering at Expedia, Inc. "We are proud of the software developed by our teams, and equally eager to see what local attendees will create. As pioneers in travel and technology, we appreciate the opportunity to give back to the community and to connect with locals who are just as passionate about advancing technology and travel."
Everyone is welcome, but space is limited: register early as participants will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis. Registration is available online at 2016-expedia-hackathon-chicago.devpost.com. Doors open at 10:00 a.m. CDT April 30 for check-in and teams will present their projects to the judges on Sunday afternoon.
More information about Expedia Hackathon 2016 requirements, rules and judging criteria on 2016-expedia-hackathon-chicago.devpost.com. If you are interested in exploring our APIs please visit hackathon.expedia.com. Hashtag: #expediahackathon.
About Expedia, Inc.
Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE) is the world's largest online travel company, with an extensive brand portfolio that includes leading online travel brands, such as:
- Expedia.com®, a leading full service online travel company with localized sites in 33 countries
- Hotels.com®, the lodging specialist that offers Hotels.com® Rewards and Secret Prices through its mobile booking apps and localized websites in more than 65 countries
- Hotwire®, a leading discount travel site that offers Hot Rate® Hotels, Hot Rate® Cars and Hot Rate® Airfares, as well as vacation packages
- HomeAway®, a global online marketplace for the vacation rental industry, which also includes the VRBO, VacationRentals.com and BedandBreakfast.com brands, among others
- Travelocity®, a pioneer in online travel and a leading online travel brand in the US and Canada
- Orbitz Worldwide, a global travel portfolio including Orbitz, ebookers and CheapTickets brands, and business-to-business offerings including Orbitz Partner Network and Orbitz for Business
- Egencia®, a leading corporate travel management company
- Venere.com™, an online hotel reservation specialist in Europe
- trivago®, a leading online hotel search with sites in 55 countries worldwide
- Wotif Group, a leading portfolio of travel brands including Wotif.com®, Wotif.co.nz, lastminute.com.au®, lastminute.co.nz and travel.com.au®
- Expedia Local Expert®, a provider of online and in-market concierge services, activities, experiences and ground transportation in hundreds of destinations worldwide
- Classic Vacations®, a top luxury travel specialist
- Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, a provider of exceptional value and expert advice for travelers booking cruises and vacations through its network of over 200 retail travel agency franchises across North America
- CarRentals.com™, a premier online car rental booking company with localized sites in 13 countries
- Expedia Affiliate Network (EAN), a global B2B business that powers the hotel business of leading airlines, top consumer brands, online travel agencies and thousands of other partners through its API and template solutions
- Expedia® Media Solutions, the advertising sales division of Expedia, Inc. that builds media partnerships and enables brand advertisers to target a highly-qualified audience of travel consumers
Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. © 2016 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/expedia-to-host-local-hackathon-in-chicago-300245823.html
SOURCE Expedia, Inc.