LOS ANGELES, May 11, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- This cost of living comparison measures each state against the average cost of living in the United States as a whole. We've examined six critical elements: housing, groceries, utilities, transportation, healthcare and miscellaneous expenses. Together, they form each state's overall cost of living index.
Hawaii came out on top with the highest cost of living overall, while Mississippi ranked lowest for overall cost of living across America.
For full details on the survey results, visit: From California to New York: The Cost of Living Across America
- Housing costs in California are a whopping 92.7% higher than the average in America, but Washington, D.C. beats it by a long shot with costs more than 134% above the national average.
- If you're trying to save, Mississippi might be the place for you. Housing costs there are 31.6% less than the national average; Alabama comes in at 2nd with housing at 26% lower than the national average.
- Avoiding the doctor? Healthcare costs are the highest in Alaska, topping out at 46.6% more than the rest of the country; Alabama saw the lowest healthcare costs at 12.5% below the national average, closely followed by Arkansas at 12.2%.
- Hate your commute? California has the second-highest transportation costs in the country at 30.1% higher than the national average, and Alaska pays the third-highest with costs that are 29.2% higher than the average. Oklahoma pays the least for transportation, 11.9% less than the national average.
Top 5 States With the Highest Cost of Living (Percentage Above National Average)
1. Hawaii, 67.4%
2. District of Columbia, 49.2%
3. New York, 35.2%
4. California, 34.8%
5. Massachusetts, 34.7%
Top 5 States With the Lowest Cost of Living (Percentage Below National Average)
1. Mississippi, 14%
2. Indiana, 12.1%
3. Michigan, 11.8%
4. Arkansas, 11.5%
5. Oklahoma, 11.4%
GOBankingRates.com is a personal finance news and features website dedicated to helping visitors live a richer life. From tips on saving money, to investing for retirement or finding a good interest rate, GOBankingRates helps turn financial goals into milestones and money dreams into realities. Its content is regularly featured on top-tier media outlets including MSN, MONEY, AOL Finance, CBS MoneyWatch, Business Insider and dozens of others. GOBankingRates specializes in connecting consumers with the financial institutions and products that best match their needs. Start your journey toward a rich mind and full wallet with us here.
Kim Dahlgren, Media Relations
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/from-california-to-new-york-the-cost-of-living-across-america-300455511.html