Future Acquires Leading Technology Brands APC and TechLife in Australia
SAN FRANCISCO, Aug. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Future today announced the acquisition of leading Australian technology brands APC and TechLife from Bauer Media Group. The acquisition includes the associated magazines, digital editions and websites.
"The acquisition of APC and TechLife is the next stage in Future's strategy of building a global technology content business around TechRadar, our top digital brand, and T3.com," said Mark Wood, CEO, Future plc. "We are delighted to bring these two high-quality technology titles into Future, adding to our strong positions in the UK and US markets, and we look forward to building on their success and their impressive audience reach to become Australia's leading technology publisher."
APC and TechLife will join Future's existing Australian tech and gaming portfolio, which includes www.techradar.com.au, technology and lifestyle brand Australian T3 and www.pcgamer.com. Globally, TechRadar reaches over 17.9 million unique users per month and last year, it launched in the US and Australia with localized content, creating a truly 24/7 operation. The site has seen 44% growth in Australia over the last year and is rapidly becoming a global go-to destination for opinions, exclusives and authoritative reviews of everything from mobile phones and tablets to the latest cameras and televisions.
APC and TechLife are the leading technology magazines in Australia. APC is Australia's longest-published, most influential computer brand and the choice for 'power users' and IT professionals. TechLife is a technology magazine with a unique perspective on the latest technology and how it can enhance modern lifestyles.
"APC and TechLife are incredibly strong brands in the Australian technology sector – both engage large, loyal audiences of tech-savvy, influential early adopters," said Neville Daniels, COO, Future Australia. "Our clear ambition is to develop this portfolio across platforms, to become Australia's leading technology publisher. TechRadar, which already has over one million Australian monthly uniques only 10 months after launch, has already exceeded our expectations and these new additions to the portfolio will accelerate our growth plan."
Future Australia is a division of Future plc, the international media group and leading digital business. Future plc's leading technology portfolio is constantly innovating, reflecting the fast-moving markets in which it operates. Future launched TechRadar US in 2012 and this has now become one of the fastest growing technology websites in the US market.
Today, we reach more global technology enthusiasts than ever before through digital, print and events. Internationally, more than 25 million visitors every month use our influential websites, including TechRadar, T3.com and – in the UK – Gizmodo.co.uk.
Meanwhile Future's innovation continues to be recognized by the UK media industry. The company has been named Digital Publisher of the Year by both the PPA and the AOP, and was recently named Media Company of the Year at the British Media Awards.
About Future plc:
- Future plc is an international media group and leading digital business, listed on the London Stock Exchange (symbol: FUTR).
- We have operations in the UK, US and Australia creating more than 200 publications, apps, websites and events.
- We hold market-leading positions in Technology, Games, Music, Creative and Sport & Auto sectors.
- We attract more than 51 million monthly global unique users to our websites, which include techradar.com, gamesradar.com, bikeradar.com and musicradar.com.
- Future sold more than 24 million magazines last year, that's 45 magazines sold every minute. Our most well-known brands include T3, Cycling Plus, Total Film, Mollie Makes and Official Xbox Magazine.
- Future has developed its own app-creation software, FutureFolio. We produce over 100 digital editions, and have now sold over five million digital copies.
- Future exports or syndicates 225 publications to over 89 countries, making us the UK's number one exporter and licensor of magazine content.
- Future has been named Consumer Digital Publisher of the Year for three years in a row by the Association of Online Publishers (2011, 2012, 2013) and is currently the Professional Publishers Association Digital Publisher of the Year and the British Media Awards Media Company of the Year.
SOURCE Future plc