NEW YORK, Nov. 2, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- #GivingTuesday and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation today launch #MyGivingStory, a social media campaign and contest that asks people around country to tell their giving stories: whom they give to and why it is meaningful to them.
The call for submissions opens today, November 2, 2015, and runs through November 24.
#GivingTuesday is a global movement dedicated to giving, created by 92nd Street Y in 2012. "#GivingTuesday brings individuals and communities together for good, and there are countless stories every year of people giving back in creative, personal and meaningful ways. The goal of #MyGivingStory is to highlight the thousands of acts of generosity that may take place out of the public spotlight. For many people, philanthropy can be daunting – the domain of huge international nonprofits that address challenges on a global level. But the truth is that everyone has something important to give, and every act of philanthropy matters and makes a difference," said Asha Curran, Director of 92Y's Center for Innovation and Social Impact. "We hope that #MyGivingStory reminds people that everyone has a part to play in making the world a better place."
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to helping all people lead a healthy, productive life, including support to help institutions and individuals be more effective and have more impact in giving back. #MyGivingStory aligns with this mission as a platform to learn about what inspires people to give. Victoria Vrana from the Gates Foundation said, "Giving Tuesday is an opportunity for people to focus on how they want to make a difference in their communities. At the Gates Foundation, we're big advocates of encouraging generosity in any form. We believe everyone can be great at giving back. Our hope is that by celebrating and sharing stories through #MyGivingStory, more people will join us in this belief and encourage more generosity in their own communities."
How to Enter #MyGivingStory
- Post a short essay (200-words or more) responding to the question, "What inspires you to give?"
- In it, tell the story of a specific instance in which you supported a nonprofit organization in a way that was meaningful to you. Your essay must focus on one specific nonprofit organization.
- Submit your essay by November 24 on the #MyGivingStory tab of #GivingTuesday's Facebook page.
- Share and promote your submission on social media with #MyGivingStory and #GivingTuesday.
How #MyGivingStory Works
- The 15 essays garnering the most Facebook "likes" are submitted to a distinguished panel of #GivingTuesday ambassadors for judging.
- Contest judges are Perla Ni, founder and CEO, GreatNonprofits; Beth Kanter, nonprofit social media expert; and Upworthy co-founder Peter Koechley.
- Six winners are selected (two each for First-, Second- and Third-Place)
- Gift cards that the winners can use to donate to a project of their choice on GlobalGiving, the first and largest global crowdfunding platform for nonprofits
- Grants (between $1,000 and $5,000) for the organizations featured in the winners' essays
- (First-Prize only) Upworthy will develop and share articles featuring the two winning stories
- Winners are announced on #GivingTuesday, December 1, 2015
More information, including background, partner information and tools, can be found at www.givingtuesday.org/mygivingstory.
Now in its fourth year, #GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. Observed on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving. Created in 2012 by 92nd Street Y—a cultural center in New York City that, since 1874, has been bringing people together around the values of service and giving back—#GivingTuesday connects diverse groups of individuals, communities and organizations around the world for one common purpose: to celebrate and encourage giving. A team of influencers and founding partners joined forces—collaborating across sectors, offering expertise and working tirelessly—to launch #GivingTuesday, and it has become a movement that celebrates and supports giving and philanthropy with events throughout the year and a growing catalog of resources.
About the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Guided by the belief that every life has equal value, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation aspires to help all people lead healthy, productive lives. We are dedicated to discovering and disseminating innovative approaches to addressing extreme poverty and poor health in developing countries and improving the U.S. education system.
Contact: Maricela Rios, Maricela.Rios@havasww.com
SOURCE 92nd Street Y