DUBLIN, April 1, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Biotherapeutics: Novel Formulation and Delivery Approaches (Focus on Antibodies and Proteins)" report to their offering.
Biopharmaceuticals is currently one of the fastest growing segments in the pharmaceutical industry. They have a vital use in the treatment of chronic diseases and also result in high profit margins for the drug developers. There are several therapeutic areas for which biopharmaceuticals are being investigated; these include oncology, metabolic disorders, viral infections, genetic disorders and immunological disorders.
Biotherapeutics (both approved and under investigation) include monoclonal antibodies, cell therapies, clotting factors, cytokines, enzymes, hormones and vaccines. In fact, several antibody based therapies have already been approved across the globe. Humira®, by AbbVie, is a well-known example; the drug has been generating multibillion dollar sales annually for several years.
The major challenge for biologics has been the mode of administration. For most large molecule drugs, IV is an established route. Through this method, the drug directly enters systemic circulation bypassing degradation in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. However, there are other challenges; these include the requirement of healthcare experts for drug administration (in turn, increasing the cost of therapy) and associated pain during therapy administration (negatively impacting patient compliance).
Companies developing biologics are continuously on the lookout for novel formulation and delivery systems in order to exploit their full therapeutic and commercial potential. Amongst the various aspects being studied, technologies for facilitating oral, subcutaneous (SC) and transdermal delivery of biologics are highly sought after and have received widespread attention from researchers and manufacturers across the globe.
Several start-ups, with innovative technologies, have surfaced in the past decade and have continuously encouraged the use of biotherapeutics by providing novel approaches to improve patient compliance. These technologies are broadly classified either as formulation technologies (approaches with primary objective of changing the formulation of drug, thereby facilitating an alternate route of administration in many cases) or delivery systems (approaches with primary objective of developing a physical system to deliver the drug via an alternate route).
The overall interest continues to rise as is evident from the number of partnerships / agreements that have taken place amongst the stakeholders. Technology licensing agreements have been very common and are likely to play an active role in industry's development. In addition, several venture capitalists have led multiple funding rounds in these companies, acting as a key enabler behind the evolution.
Key Topics Covered:
2. Executive Summary
3. Biopharmaceuticals: An Introduction
4. Market Overview
5. Key Oral Formulationand Delivery Platforms
6. Key Subcutaneous Formulation And Delivery Platforms
7. Key Dermal Formulation And Delivery Platforms
8. Other Formulation And Delivery Platforms
9. Recent Partnerships/Collaborations
10. Venture Capital Interest
11. Market Forecast
12. SWOT Analysis
13. Interview Transcripts
- 4P Therapeutics - 5AM Ventures - 7 Med Health Ventures - ADOCIA - AGF Private Equity - AIMM Therapeutics - ARCH Venture Partners - AbbVie - Abingworth - Advanced Accelerator Applications - Advanced Technology Ventures - Aegis Capital Corp - Aegis Therapeutics - Aerogen - Affilogic - Affinity Therapeutics - Agila Specialities - Albany Medical College - Alchemia - Alcyone - Allergan - Alpes Developpement Durable Investissement - Alpha Associates - Alrise Biosystems - Alta Partners - Althea - Altitude Life Sciences Ventures - Amarantus BioSciences - AmatsiSEPS - AnGes MG - Angiochem - Apax Partners - Aphelion Capital - Aphios - Applied Molecular Transport - Apricus Biosciences - Aquarius Biotechnologies (Acquired by Matinas Biopharma) - Aradigm - Aratana Therapeutics - Arecor - ArmaGen - Arsenal Medical - Asahi Kasei Pharma - Ascendis Pharma - Ascension Health Ventures - Astellas Venture Management - AstraZeneca - Atlas Venture - Avida Group - Axela Biosensors - BDC Capital - Battelle - Baxter - Bayer Healthcare - Beacon Angels - Beta Fund - Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - BioCardia - BioLingus - BioMed Ventures - Bioam Gestion - Biodel - Bispebjerg University Hospital - Boehringer Ingelheim Venture Fund - Boston Harbor Angels - BrainsGate - Brandon Capital - Brigham and Women's Hospital - Broadfin Capital - Burrill and Company - Business Development Bank of Canada - CDC Enterprises - CHL Medical Partners - CNF Investments - Caleva Process Solutions - Camarus AB - Canaan Partners - CannScience Innovations - Capital Royalty - Capital Royalty Partners II - Capsugel - CarThera - Carbylan Therapeutics - Carlina Technologies - Catalent Pharma - CellProThera - Central Texas Angel Network - Chase H&Q - Cherrystone Angel Group - Chiasma Pharmaceuticals - Chicago Growth Partners - Circassia Pharmaceuticals - Clarus Ventures - Corium International - Cosmo Pharmaceuticals - Covington Capital - CrossLink Bioscience - Crystal Horizon Investments - Cubist Pharmaceuticals - DNA Biomedical Solutions Ltd. - DNAtrix - DNX - DSM Venturing - Dainippon Sumitomo - Deerfield Management - DelSiTech - Delpor - Deutsche Banc Alex. Brown - Domain Associates - Dr. Reddy's - Durect Corporation - Dynamic Microbials - ETI Karle Clinical - Edward P. Bass group - Eisai - Ekteino - Elcam Medical - Eli Lilly - Emisphere - Encap - Endo International - Entrega Bio - Essex Woodlands Health Ventures - ExcelseBio - Exeter University - Extend Biotechnology - F2 Capital - F2 Ventures - F3 Ventures - Ferring Pharmaceuticals - Firelake Capital Management - Flamel Technologies - Fletcher Spaght Ventures - FluGen - Fredric Price - GALVmed - GSK - Galena Biopharma - GenBiotech - Genentech - Generex Biotechnology - Generium - Genta - Genzyme - Geron - GlaxoSmithKline - Glide Healthcare Partners - Golden Seeds - Google Ventures - Granite State Angels - Graybug - H Lundbeck - HBM BioVentures - HLM Venture Partners - Halozyme Therapeutics - Hambrecht & Quist - Harbor Light Capital Partners - Harkness & Hill - Hatteras Venture Partners - Health Ventures - HealthCare Venture - Hercules Technology Growth Capital - Hikma Pharmaceuticals - Hospira - Hovione - Hygea VCT Plc - ICB International - Idinvest Partners - InCube Ventures - Infectious Disease Research Institute - Innocore - Intarcia Therapeutics - Integrated Animal Health - InterSouth Partners - InterWest Partners - Intranasal Technology Inc (ITI) - Intrexon - Investment Accelerator Fund-Life Sciences - Israel HealthCare Ventures - J&J Development Corporation - JCR Pharmaceuticals - JRX Biotechnology - Janssen Pharmaceuticals - Jerusalem Global Ventures - Johnson and Johnson - Kaer Therapeutics - Kaiser Permanante Ventures - KemPharm - Kereos - Kingsbridge Capital - Kurve Technology - Kytogenics Pharmaceuticals - Laboratory for Drug Delivery (Georgia Institute of Technology) - Ladenburg Thalmann & Co. - Landec - Laser Detect Systems - Latitude Pharmaceuticals - LaunchPad Venture Group - Lauren Sciences - Le Métier de Beauté - Leukocare Biotechnology - Life Science Angels - LifeCare Partners - Lipotek - Liquidia Technologies/ Envisia Therapeutics - Lung Rx - Lysogene - MHR Funding Management - MIS Dental Implants Technologies - MPM Capital - MSD Animal Health - Maryland Venture Fund - Mass Medical Angels - Maxim Group LLC - Mayflower - MedImmune - Medallion Therapeutics - Medical Research Commercialisation Fund - Medicure - MedinCell - Medpace - Merck - Merlin Biosciences - Merrion Pharmaceuticals - Midatech Group - Mitsui & Co. Global Investment - Monosol Rx - Montaur Capital Partners - Morningside Group - Mountain View Pharmaceuticals - Mylan - NHTherapeutics - NOD Pharmaceuticals - Nano Precision Medical - NanoPass Technologies - Nanomerics - Nanovector - National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease - National Institute of Mental Health - National Institute of Standards and Technology - NeuroNano - Neurotech - New Enterprise Associates - New Leaf Ventures - New River Management V - Nexus Medical Partners - Nomura International - Nomura Phase4 Ventures - North Bridge Venture Partners - North Country Angels - Northland Securities - Novartis - Novartis Venture Fund - Novo Nordisk - ONSET Ventures - OSI Pharmaceuticals - Oakwood Laboratories - Octoplus - Ocular Therapeutix - Ofer Hi-Tech - Omega Fund - OneVentures - Opsona Therapeutics - Oramed Pharmaceuticals - OrbiMed Advisors - Orbis Biosciences - Orion Pharma - Oxford Finance - Oxford Finance Corporation - PATH - PCI Biotech - Pacific Venture Opportunity Fund - Pacira Pharmaceuticals - Pantec Biosolutions - Pappas Ventures - Patheon - Pearl Therapeutics - Peptineo - Permeon Biologics - Pfizer - Pharmidex - Pharmsynthez - PhaseBio Pharmaceuticals - Phosphagenics - Phylogica - Pinemount Investment - Pitango Venture Capital - Polaris Partners - Polaris Venture Partners - PolyPid - Pound Capital - ProCore Bio Med - ProLynx - ProQuest Investments - Prometheon Pharma - Protheragen - Province of Nova Scotia - Proxima Concepts - Pulmatrix - Quantum Technology Partners - RA Capital Management - Rani Therapeutics - Rhône-Alpes Création - Roche - Rock Springs Capital - Rodman & Renshaw, Ladenburg Thalmann & Co. - Ruthigen - SG Asset Management Private Equity - SV Life Sciences - Sagetis Biotech - Sanofi - Sanofi Aventis - Santen - Savoy - Scale Venture Partners - Scil Proteins - Serina Therapeutics - Servier - Shire - Siemens Venture Capital - Silicon Valley Bank - Smoofi - SofInnova Ventures - Sofinnova Partners - Solvanix - Sparta LLC - Stallergenes - Sterigenics - Strativa Pharmaceuticals - Sud Rhone-Alpes Capital - Suda - Swiss Caps AG - Symphony Medical - Synthelis - Takeda Pharmaceuticals - Takeda Ventures - Tamarisk Technologies Group - Targeted Cell Therapies - Tech Coast Angels - Technical University Munich (TUM) - TechnoStart - Texas Venture Labs - The Halifax Group - The School of Pharmacy, University of London - The Stevanato Group - TheraKine - Think Equity Partners - Thomas McNerney & Partners - Tibotec - Transdermal Corp. - Transdermal Specialties - UCB - UCL - University of Cambridge - VG Partners - Valerion Therapeutics - Valeritas - Vatera Healthcare Partners - Vaxxas - Vect-Horus - Vectura - Venrock - Venture Health - Versant Ventures - Vestiq Pharmaceuticals - Viaduct - Viveris Management - Vivo Capital - Vivo Ventures - WBB Securities - WR Hambrecht + Co - Wacker Biotech - Wakefield Group - Warburg Dillon Read LLC, and Adams - Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe - Western Life Sciences Venture Fund - White Oak Global Advisors - Wuzhou Zhongheng Group - Wyeth Pharmaceuticals - XL Protein GmbH - Xenetic Biosciences - Xenia Ventures - Xenios AG - Xeris Pharmaceuticals - XstalBio - YEDA - Yissum Research Development - Zogenix - Zosano Pharma - biOasis Technologies - pSivida
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/njh5tp/biotherapeutics
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call +1-917-300-0470 For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call +1-800-526-8630 For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-biotherapeutics-market-report-novel-formulation-and-delivery-approaches-with-focus-on-antibodies-and-proteins---research-and-markets-300244697.html
SOURCE Research and Markets