GENEVA, March 7, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (NASDAQ: GT) showcased several new and emerging technologies in its latest concept tires imagined for the future of the automotive industry this week at the 87th Geneva International Motor Show.
In the evolving mobility ecosystem, defined by the transition to driverless vehicles and shared mobility in urban centers, Goodyear aims to revolutionize the interaction between tires, vehicles and their surroundings.
Its new concepts – the spherical-shaped Eagle 360 Urban and the IntelliGrip Urban smart tire – apply emerging technologies like artificial intelligence and vehicle-to-everything (V2X) connectivity to help the autonomous vehicles of the future navigate the millions of possible unknowns we face in every day driving scenarios.
"The future of the automotive industry is being shaped by rapid advances in technology and changing consumer attitudes and behaviors," said Joe Zekoski, Goodyear's senior vice president and chief technical officer. "The concepts and technology we are showcasing in Geneva are part of the revolution that we see unfolding at the intersection of autonomy, mobility and connectivity where tires and services will play a critical role in meeting our customers' performance and information needs."
Goodyear Eagle 360 Urban
The Eagle 360 Urban is an evolution of Goodyear's 2016 spherical-shaped design concept for autonomous vehicles, further integrating the tire into the vehicle's nervous system by giving the concept an artificial intelligence 'brain' that allows it to sense, decide, transform and interact. Key features include:
- V2X communications connectivity to gather and share real-time information about driving conditions from the tires, other vehicles, infrastructure, and traffic systems for a complete picture;
- Artificial intelligence to process the data through deep learning algorithms and improve braking, handling and efficiency; and,
- A bionic skin made of a super-elastic polymer with high-sensory capacity and the flexibility to adapt its tread pattern to driving conditions with the help of actuators beneath the surface.
Learn more about the Eagle 360 Urban, including how its spherical shape is ideally suited for city driving, here: https://youtu.be/KAdw09M-F-g.
Goodyear IntelliGrip Urban
The IntelliGrip Urban is a smart tire concept designed for autonomous, on-demand transportation, with a focus on maximizing uptime and reducing operating costs for ride-sharing service providers. Key features include:
- Sensor-in-tire technology to gather and share information about road and weather conditions with the vehicle control system to optimize speed, braking, handling and stability;
- Proactive maintenance through telematics and tire health monitoring to maximize uptime by allowing fleet operators to precisely identify and resolve tire-related issues safely before they happen; and,
- A fuel efficient tall and narrow design that reduces rolling resistance and extends range for electric vehicles, as well as fewer tread grooves to reduce noise levels and offer a more comfortable ride and longer tread life.
Learn more about the IntelliGrip Urban here: https://youtu.be/m25iCQCN_t8.
Although these tires are future concepts, they represent an essential aspect of Goodyear's innovation strategy and customer focus in the new mobility ecosystem, said Zekoski.
Goodyear is one of the world's largest tire companies. It employs about 66,000 people and manufactures its products in 48 facilities in 21 countries around the world. Its two Innovation Centers in Akron, Ohio and Colmar-Berg, Luxembourg strive to develop state-of-the-art products and services that set the technology and performance standard for the industry. For more information about Goodyear and its products, go to www.goodyear.com/corporate.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/goodyear-shares-concepts-technology-for-urban-mobility-at-geneva-international-motor-show-300419344.html
SOURCE The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company