MEXICO CITY, May 12, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Grupo Financiero Santander México, S.A.B. de C.V. (BMV: SANMEX; NYSE: BSMX) ("Santander México" or "the Group"), one of the leading financial groups in Mexico, announces that pursuant to a shareholding reorganization, Banco Santander, S.A., which currently directly holds 51.26% of the capital stock of Santander México, has today entered into a share purchase agreement to acquire the 23.71% of Santander México's capital stock held by Banco Santander S.A.'s wholly-owned subsidiary, Santusa Holding, S.L., whereby the direct share ownership of Banco Santander, S.A., will increase to 74.97% of the capital stock of Santander México. The remaining 25.03% trades on the Mexican Stock Exchange (Bolsa Mexicana de Valores, S.A.B. de C.V.) and the New York Stock Exchange. The total share ownership of Banco Santander S.A. in Santander México will not change as a result of the shareholding reorganization.
About Grupo Financiero Santander México, S.A.B. de C.V. (NYSE: BSMX BMV: SANMEX)
Grupo Financiero Santander México, one of Mexico's leading financial services holding companies, provides a wide range of financial and related services, including retail and commercial banking, securities brokerage, financial advisory and other related investment activities. The Group offers a multichannel financial services platform focused on mid- to high-income individuals and small- to medium-sized enterprises, while also providing integrated financial services to larger multinational companies in Mexico. As of March 31, 2016, Grupo Financiero Santander México had total assets of Ps.1,233 billion under Mexican Banking GAAP and more than 12 million customers. Headquartered in Mexico City, the Company operates 1,079 branches and 307 offices nationwide and has a total of 17,203 employees.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/grupo-financiero-santander-mexico-announces-shareholding-reorganization-process-300267993.html
SOURCE Grupo Financiero Santander Mexico, S.A.B. de C.V.