Heroku Announces New Enterprise Cloud Service for Java
Full-stack Java solution now available to developers without complexity and infrastructure costs of traditional software
Integration with Atlassian unites most popular developer productivity tools with most popular platform as a service
SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- DREAMFORCE 2012 — Heroku, a leading cloud platform as a service (PaaS) and a salesforce.com company, today announced Heroku Enterprise for Java, a new service for companies and IT organizations to build and run Java applications in the cloud. With Heroku Enterprise for Java, companies can now create and deploy mission-critical Java applications in minutes instead of months, as well as move their apps to a continuous delivery model, all without traditional software or infrastructure. Heroku Enterprise for Java is part of the Salesforce Platform, the world's leading enterprise cloud platform for next-generation social and mobile apps.
Java is the most widely adopted language in the enterprise, with millions of Java developers building and maintaining Java applications worldwide. Traditionally, creating these applications has required piecing together both a range of development and runtime infrastructure tools—such as source code control systems, continuous integration servers, testing and staging environments, load balancers, application server clusters, databases and in-memory caching systems. This painstaking process typically extends application building and deployment by months, taking developer attention away from their core focus of app development. With Heroku Enterprise for Java, for the first time, enterprise developers can get a complete Java solution in a single package, provisioned with a single click.
"Enterprise developers have been looking for a better way to easily create innovative applications without the hassle of building out a back-end infrastructure," said Oren Teich, COO, Heroku. "With Heroku Enterprise for Java, developers get all the benefits of developing in Java along with the ease of using an open, cloud platform in a single click."
As part of today's launch, Heroku is also announcing integration with products from Atlassian, the leading provider of collaboration software for product development teams. A new Heroku plug-in for Atlassian's Bamboo continuous integration service lets developers automate application delivery across all lifecycle stages: source code control, testing, staging and production deployment. More than 21,000 companies of all sizes already use Atlassian's issue tracking, collaboration, and software development products to work faster and smarter, together.
Features and Benefits
Heroku Enterprise for Java includes:
- Full-Stack Java: In addition to support for core Java JDK and JVM, including new support for JDK 7 and latest JDK 8 builds, Heroku Enterprise for Java provides a full stack of pre-configured systems needed to build scalable, high-performance, highly available applications. This also includes memcache for session management and horizontal scaling, and Postgres for relational data management.
- Heroku Runtime: In addition to providing runtime and management of the full stack of components, the service includes separate environments for development and staging. Leveraging the capabilities of Heroku's PaaS, these environments can be provisioned instantaneously, providing a way for IT organizations to adopt rapid development methodologies with unprecedented ease. As with other applications running on Heroku, these applications can be scaled to serve massive volumes with a simple control change.
- Continuous Delivery Framework: When combined with Atlassian's best-in-class continuous integration service, Bamboo, Heroku Enterprise for Java completely automates the application delivery process. From code check-in to test builds, staging deploys and production promotion, developers get a smooth out-of-the-box experience with no server set-up needed. All components are automatically provisioned and configured.
- Native Java Tools: New with Heroku Enterprise for Java is native support for Eclipse, the popular Java IDE. With the Eclipse plug-in, developers can create and deploy Java applications directly within their IDE. In addition, Heroku now supports direct deployment of Java WAR files, providing a simple way to migrate existing Java applications to the cloud.
- Enterprise-Class Support: The service includes enterprise support, providing access to technical resources with guaranteed SLAs. Optional 24/7 support services are also available.
Pricing and Availability
Heroku Enterprise for Java pricing starts at $1,000 per month per application and is available starting today at http://www.heroku.com/enterprise.
Heroku, a salesforce.com company, has enabled hundreds of thousands of developers to build and run more than two million applications - all entirely in the cloud, without the need to purchase or maintain any servers or software. With support for the most popular languages, an enterprise class database service and an add-on ecosystem featuring the most innovative development tools, Heroku provides start-ups, IT organizations and agencies with a faster and more effective way to create and deploy apps. For more information, please visit http://heroku.com/.