"Efficiently moving freight trains across our 22-state network is a cornerstone of sustainability at Norfolk Southern," said CEO Jim Squires. "It's about turning challenges into daily opportunities – keeping our people and communities safe, providing unequalled customer service, and being a good steward of the resources that contribute to our success."
"Corporate sustainability at Norfolk Southern means acting responsibly in the conduct of our business, which enhances our ability to grow business," said Bruno Maestri, vice president government relations and corporate sustainability officer. "We are part of the fabric of the communities where we operate, and we want to add value by what Norfolk Southern brings to our communities."
Among report highlights, NS in 2015:
- Rolled out a new class of low-emission Eco locomotives at rail yards in Atlanta and Chicago.
- Introduced a custom plug-in engine-heating system at rail yards that reduces unnecessary locomotive idling in cold weather.
- Adopted a five-year goal to improve locomotive fuel efficiency, which will contribute to the company's goal to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions.
- Returned more than $700 million in dividends to shareholders, representing a 6 percent increase in dividends per share for the year.
- Supported the location of 61 new industries and 32 industry expansions along NS rail lines, representing $4.2 billion in customer investment and more than 6,100 new customer jobs.
- Contributed more than $13.7 million in combined Norfolk Southern Foundation, corporate, and business giving in communities served by the railroad to support human service needs, arts and culture, environment, and education.
- Recorded a 13 percent decline in employee reportable injuries.
- Hired a record number of female employees: 28 percent of management trainees and 7 percent of conductor trainees were women.
- Formed local employee diversity and inclusion councils in each of the railroad's 10 operating divisions.
- Helped train more than 4,800 local emergency responders in safe response to potential incidents involving transport of product regulated as hazardous material.
The online report can found at www.nssustainability.com.
About Norfolk Southern
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 20,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a major transporter of coal, automotive, and industrial products.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/in-new-sustainability-report-norfolk-southern-outlines-what-efficiency-looks-like-300310772.html
SOURCE Norfolk Southern Corporation