HOUSTON, April 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- A newly released article reveals many of the greatest achievements in environmentally friendly construction in the health industry. The article celebrates the 30 most environmentally friendly hospitals in the world. Each hospital was selected based on criteria including certifications from environmental bodies, recycling efforts, green construction and innovative energy saving features.
Many of the hospitals on the list have been the recipients of prestigious awards. The Bronson Methodist Hospital, for instance, was awarded the Practice Greenhealth's Environmental Leadership Circle Award. Meanwhile, the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center was named Project of the Year in the New Construction category of the US Green Building Council's National Capital Region Chapter. The University Hospital of South Manchester received the 2012 Ashden Award after it's adoption of a new energy efficiency plan succeeded in reducing carbon emissions by 28 percent.
According to author Tom Stevens, "Power-guzzling hospitals around the world are increasingly going green in an attempt to minimize their carbon footprints. We created this list for budding healthcare administrators to showcase 30 forward-thinking hospitals that are doing their bit to help save the planet."
The majority of the hospitals on the list have received LEED Gold certification. Most have found unique ways of removing waste efficiently, reducing energy usage or improving air quality. The full report can be found here: http://www.healthcare-administration-degree.net/30-most-environmentally-friendly-hospitals-in-the-world/.
Here is a list of the facilities along with their architects.
30. Rush University Medical Center, East Tower, Chicago, Illinois, Perkins+Will
29. Great Ormond Street Hospital, Morgan Stanley Clinical Building, London, U.K., Llewelyn Davies
28. Johnston Memorial Hospital, Abingdon, Virginia, Earl Swensson and Phoenix Design Group
27. Bronson Methodist Hospital, Main Building, Kalamazoo, Michigan, Shepley Bulfinch Richardson and Abbott
26. Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode Island, South Pavilion, Providence, Rhode Island, Anshen + Allen (Stantec)
25. Boulder Community Foothills Hospital, Boulder, Colorado, Boulder Associates
24. Childrenís Healthcare of Atlanta, Atlanta, Georgia, Duckett Design Group
23. Anne Arundel Medical Center, Hospital Pavilion South, Annapolis, Maryland, Whiting-Turner Contracting Co.
22. Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland, HKS Architects
21. University of Colorado Health, Medical Center of the Rockies, Loveland, Colorado, Heery International
20. Sentara RMH Medical Center, Harrisonburg, Virginia, Earl Swenson
19. Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Canada
18. University Hospital of South Manchester: Wythenshawe Hospital - Manchester, U.K.
17. Dana-Farber Cancer Institute: Yawkey Center for Cancer Care, Boston, Massachusetts, ZGF and MDS/Miller Dyer Spears
16. St. Elizabeth Hospital: Heart, Lung & Vascular Center, Appleton, Wisconsin, HGA
15. Helen DeVos Childrenís Hospital, Grand Rapids, Michigan, URS Corporation and Jonathan Bailey Associates
14. Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital, Novena, Singapore, HOK
13. Martha's Vineyard Hospital, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts, Thomas, Miller & Partners
12. UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital, Gainesville, Florida, Flad Architects
11. Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital, Hollywood, Florida, Stanley Beaman & Sears
10. St. Mary's Hospital, Sechelt, Canada, Farrow Partnership Architects
9. Muskogee Community Hospital, Muskogee, Oklahoma, Bates/LZW Architects
8. North Shore University Hospital: Katz Women's Hospital, Manhasset, New York
7. West Kendall Baptist Hospital, Miami, Florida, MGE Architects
6. Legacy Salmon Creek Medical Center - Vancouver, Washington, ZGF
5. NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital: Vivian and Seymour Milstein Family Heart Center - New York, New York, daSILVA Architects and Pei Cobb Freed & Partners
4. Kiowa County Memorial Hospital, Greensburg, Kansas
3. Providence Newberg Medical Center, Newberg, Oregon, Mahlum
2. Dell Children's Medical Center of Central Texas, Austin, Texas, Karlsberger Cos
1. Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
About: Healthcare-Administration-Degree.net is a free website dedicated to medical careers and education. Healthcare Administration Degree Programs features articles and recommendations for medical colleges and universities as well as information about possible careers in the medical profession.
Read more news from Healthcare-Administration-Degree.net.