SILVER SPRING, Md., May 31, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Fans of the hit podcast "Serial" may soon learn the latest twist in the case of Adnan Syed, who was convicted for the 1999 murder of his former high school girlfriend, Hae Min Lee. As the decision for Syed's possible retrial looms, Investigation Discovery (ID) presents ADNAN SYED: INNOCENT OR GUILTY? examining the new evidence, brought to light by "Serial" and others, that was submitted to Maryland courts. Premiering Tuesday, June 14 at 9/8c, ADNAN SYED: INNOCENT OR GUILTY? is produced by ABC's Lincoln Square Productions, and features ABC News correspondent Ryan Smith as he uncovers the latest intriguing developments in the story, and takes an in-depth look at the new evidence through the eyes of key players surrounding the case.
In his first-ever one-on-one interview, Syed's current defense attorney, Justin Brown, goes on the record with Smith to explore the details on two critical pieces of evidence being reexamined by the Baltimore City circuit court:
- Potential alibi witness, Asia McClain. McClain says she was in the library with Syed after school on January 13, 1999 at the exact same time prosecutors say Hae Min Lee was murdered. On the heels of the June release of a memoir recounting her experience, "Confessions of a Serial Alibi," the special features interview excerpts from McClain's exclusive interview on Good Morning America earlier this year.
- New information about cellphone tower evidence ultimately used to convict Syed in 2000. A fledgling technology at the time, AT&T had sent an explicit warning to the Baltimore police that the information was not considered, but was used in the 2000 trial anyway.
Also interviewed in the special is Dr. William Manion, a medical examiner with nearly 30 years of experience who reviewed the autopsy report, and provides insight into critical information about that report that could also play a key role in a new trial.
"As Investigation Discovery did earlier this year with a special on the controversial Steven Avery case as featured in the hit Netflix series Making A Murderer, we are excited to share the latest in this unfolding saga with viewers," said Henry Schleiff, Group President, Investigation Discovery, American Heroes Channel and Destination America. "The serialized podcast in 2014 has more than 130 million downloads to date, proving unequivocally that this is one of the great true crime stories of our time. With a judge expecting to make a decision at any time, we want to give our viewers not only the crucial information surrounding Adnan Syed's case, but also the personal, first-hand accounts of what to expect from key players."
Additional interviews in ADNAN SYED: INNOCENT OR GUILTY? include:
- Saad Chaudry: Adnan's best friend
- Krista Meyers (Krista Remmers): friend of Hae and Adnan
- Douglas Colbert: Adnan's original attorney for bail
- Inez Butler: Hae's teacher and last to see her on campus
- Mohammad Jameel: president of the Islamic Society of Baltimore
- Bob Ruff: independent podcaster/ case expert
- Theodore Wojtas: juror from 2000 trial
- Philip Buddemeyer: former Baltimore City surveyor who assessed body at the scene
- Roberto Gutierrez: son of Christina Gutierrez
ADNAN SYED: INNOCENT OR GUILTY premieres on Tuesday, June 14 at 9/8c only on ID. The special is produced for Investigation Discovery by ABC's Lincoln Square Productions, with Terence Wrong as executive producer, as well as senior producers Glenn Silber, Aysu Grodowski and Andy Genovese. For Investigation Discovery, Diana Sperrazza is executive producer, Sara Kozak is senior vice president of production, Kevin Bennett is general manager, and Henry Schleiff is Group President of Investigation Discovery, American Heroes Channel & Destination America.
About Investigation Discovery
Investigation Discovery (ID) is the leading mystery-and-suspense network on television. From harrowing crimes and salacious scandals to the in-depth investigations and heart-breaking mysteries that result, the "always revealing" network challenges our everyday understanding of culture, society and the human condition. One of our nation's fastest growing cable networks, ID delivers the highest-quality programming to 85 million U.S. households and is available in both high definition (HD) and standard definition (SD). For more information, please visit InvestigationDiscovery.com, facebook.com/InvestigationDiscovery, or twitter.com/DiscoveryID. Investigation Discovery is part of Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK), the world's #1 pay-TV programmer reaching nearly 3 billion cumulative subscribers in 220 countries and territories.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/investigation-discovery-to-premiere-adnan-syed-innocent-or-guilty-on-tuesday-june-14th-at-98c-as-maryland-court-considers-possible-retrial-for-syed-based-on-critical-evidence-300276859.html
SOURCE Investigation Discovery