JMB Makes Clinton Global Initiative America Commitment To Build Greenest High-rise In Los Angeles
- Pledge To Develop Century City Center Project & Implement Innovative Training Partnership with Two of the Largest Construction Trade Unions in the Country -
LOS ANGELES, June 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- JMB Realty Corporation has announced its Clinton Global Initiative America (CGI America) Commitment to Action. JMB has pledged to develop Century City Center, a new green high-rise in California – and one of only a handful of high-rise buildings in North America designed to achieve the U.S. Green Buildings Council's LEEDTM Platinum certification. Through a partnership with two of the largest construction trade unions in the country that will provide a green construction-training program, the Century City-located 37-story "Green-Rise" will create a total of 6,000 jobs and serve as a model for future high-rise construction.
This announcement comes in association with the 2013 CGI America meeting held in June, which focused on finding solutions and securing commitments to promote economic recovery in the United States. This meeting brought together leaders from the business, foundation, non-governmental organizations, and government sectors to develop solutions that increase employment, advance access to education and skills development, strengthen energy security, and promote an environment for business growth and innovation.
"JMB is proud to join the Clinton Global Initiative with its model for green development that will benefit the environment and the economy while putting people back to work," said JMB Realty Corporation Senior Vice President Patrick Meara. "The commitment includes a partnership with two of the largest construction trade unions in the country to provide a green construction-training program that will help support future projects and employ 4,600 construction workers, demonstrating that sustainability and economic development are possible when people work together towards a shared prosperity."
When completed, the "Green Rise" CGI commitment will positively impact Los Angeles in the following ways:
- By integrating the best new engineering and technological practices and innovations, JMB's Century City Center project will be the first new build LEEDTM Platinum high-rise in Los Angeles and Southern California, which would effectively create a new benchmark for development and baseline for sustainable performance for the commercial office market in America's second-largest urban region.
- The project will maximize daylight, minimize solar heat gain, and reduce mechanical air conditioning use by installing one of the country's largest double skin facades, a high-performing central plant that produces ice at night to melt during the day for cooling, and a passively cooled lobby using fresh air and a high-tech chilled lobby floor.
- The project will also have one of the largest habitable green roofs in the nation to minimize the heat island effect that is a major cause of energy usage and waste associated with the operation of commercial buildings as well as recapture storm water for landscape irrigation.
- Leading innovative techniques will be used to minimize excess water use, including the reuse of greywater for non-potable demands, which translates into high levels of energy and water efficiency and will serve as a demonstration project for Southern California buildings.
- Additionally, the project will reduce emissions through a Mobility Hub and a smartphone mobile application to encourage and connect public transportation, rideshare and alternative means of commuting to the entire community.
About JMB Realty & Century City Center
Founded in 1968, JMB Realty is a US real estate investment, management and development company. JMB and its affiliates have been a major property owner and stakeholder in Century City, a premier Los Angeles business district and community, for more than 30 years. They are the owners and developers of SunAmerica Center, a LEED™ Silver office building and Constellation Place, a LEED™ Gold office building located in Century City. JMB is continuing its investment and commitment in Century City with a proposal designed to bring the first new LEED™ Platinum high-rise to Los Angeles. Century City Center is a state-of-the-art iconic office building that is currently in the environmental review process. It represents a $350 million investment to Los Angeles that will bring 6,000 new jobs. To learn more, please visit centurycitycenter.com.
About CGI America
The Clinton Global Initiative (CGI), an initiative of the Clinton Foundation, convenes global leaders to create and implement innovative solutions to the world's most pressing challenges. Established in June 2011 by President Bill Clinton, the Clinton Global Initiative America (CGI America) addresses economic recovery in the United States. CGI America brings together leaders in business, government, and civil society to generate and implement commitments to create jobs, stimulate economic growth, foster innovation, and support workforce development in the United States. Since its first meeting, CGI America participants have made more than 200 commitments valued at $13.4 billion when fully funded and implemented. To learn more, visit cgiamerica.org.
CGI also convenes an Annual Meeting, which brings together global leaders to take action and create positive social change, CGI University (CGI U), which brings together undergraduate and graduate students to address pressing challenges in their community or around the world, and, this year, CGI Latin America, which will bring together Latin American leaders to identify, harness, and strengthen ways to improve the livelihoods of people in Latin America and around the world. For more information, visit clintonglobalinitiative.org and follow us on Twitter @ClintonGlobal and Facebook at facebook.com/clintonglobalinitiative.
SOURCE JMB Realty Corporation
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.