Morton Salt Opens New State-of-the-Art Food Lab at its Research & Development Center Company Invests $1 Million in Lab to Support Innovation and Food Industry's Growing Sodium Reduction Needs
CHICAGO, June 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Morton Salt, Inc. announced today at the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Annual Meeting & Food Expo that the company has launched a new state-of-the art food lab at its R&D center in Elgin, IL that is dedicated to exploring the next generation of reduced sodium solutions. The $1 million investment will also bolster Morton Salt's broader R&D capabilities and innovation pipeline.
By creating a dedicated food lab at its R&D center, Morton Salt is adding new equipment and 1,300 square feet of innovation space where the company's team of food scientists and technical staff can focus on the ever-changing needs of consumers and customers in the food industry. In particular, Morton will deepen its focus on new product development, enhanced formulations, application testing, and technical support.
"One of the most important aspects of this investment in our R&D center is the value it will create for our customers," said Dr. John MacKinnon, Morton Salt's Director of Technology & Innovation. "Morton is a long-time partner to the food industry – and our new food lab enables us to dial up our level of technical support throughout their development cycle while delivering on their future needs, particularly in the area of sodium reduction."
MacKinnon added: "We know sodium reduction remains a top priority for many of our customers within the food industry. We also know that taste is still king with consumers. Morton Salt has explored and offered reduced sodium solutions for more than 40 years, and with this latest investment in a new food lab, we will continue working on providing innovative and customized solutions that meet the needs of our customers and consumers."
A Proven Track Record
Morton Salt has a long, rich history of innovation that spans well over a century. For example:
- In 1911, Morton Salt created a table salt product that flowed freely, even in damp weather. This product innovation also gave rise and meaning to the company's famous slogan, "When It Rains It Pours®."
- In 1914, the company began to market its free-running salt nationally and introduced the slogan and Morton Salt Girl brand icon to consumers.
- In 1924, Morton developed iodized salt and marketed it on a national basis to help prevent goiters and fight iodine deficiency.
- In 1973, Morton commercialized its first reduced sodium product, Morton® Lite Salt™ Mixture, containing 50 percent less sodium than regular salt.
- In 1984, the company introduced Morton® System Saver®, creating a water softener salt product to help improve tank cleanliness by preventing water-deposit buildup.
- In 2004, Morton expanded its culinary portfolio with the addition of sea salt.
- In 2006, the company launched Morton® Pool Salt for saltwater pools as an alternative to chemical chlorine.
- In 2008, Morton introduced a complete line of premium ice melt blends for consumer deicing needs.
- In 2014, the company launched Morton® Garlic Sea Salt, an industry first, and Morton® Sea Salt, Roasted Garlic Sea Salt and Black Peppercorn Grinders in stylish, table-top ready glass bottles.
Morton Salt's R&D center is the main innovation hub for the company's North American business and delivers innovation in food and across its other key categories including water softening, pool maintenance, snow and ice control, health and beauty, pharmaceuticals, and various industrial applications.
Morton Salt at IFT
During the IFT Food Expo in New Orleans from June 22-24, visitors to Morton Salt's booth (#2035) can learn about the company's full spectrum of reduced sodium solutions and salt products for the food industry, including its newest offering – Morton® White Pretzel Salt.
In addition, booth visitors can sample delicious foods infused with Morton Salt products such as salted caramel cupcakes while capturing fun moments in Morton's photo booth set-up to celebrate the Morton Salt Girl's 100th birthday this year. IFT attendees will also notice a new look and feel at the Morton Salt booth. The space was modernized as part of the company's brand refresh announced in early 2014.
About Morton Salt, Inc.
Morton Salt, Inc., part of the K+S Group, is the trusted authority in salt in North America. Our iconic Morton® brand, coupled with the broadest footprint in the industry has made us a leader since 1848. We produce salt for culinary, water softening, household and road deicing, food processing, chemical, pharmaceutical, and numerous industrial uses. Our more than 2,800 employees are committed to safety, quality, service and the communities in which we operate. For more information, visit www.mortonsalt.com.
SOURCE Morton Salt, Inc.