Morton Salt Prepares Pet Parents For The Dogged Days Of Winter
CHICAGO, Dec. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Protecting our pets in the winter is no small feat. A new survey¹ reveals that one-third of all pet parents say they go to great lengths to protect their pets from the winter elements, including carrying their dogs over unsafe ice so they can take care of business outdoors. Morton Salt has a simpler, less strenuous solution this winter—use a pet-safe ice melt.
"Winter weather can be very unpredictable and unsafe for pets," says Sara Shenoha, brand manager for Morton Salt, Inc. "That's why we worked with veterinarians to develop Morton® Safe-T-Pet®, a completely salt- and chloride-free ice melt that's safer for pets' paws and stomachs than traditional melting salt."
While most pet parents consider their pets as part of the family, and 70 percent think about their pets when they prepare for winter, only one-in-four use a pet-safe ice melt, according to Morton® Safe-T-Pet's recent survey of pet owners. So it begs the question: "How do you protect your pet in the winter?"
The survey reveals some interesting and somewhat humorous strategies used to keep pets safe during the winter months.
- Nearly one-in-four pet parents allow indoor bathroom breaks for their pets (23 percent).
- Almost 40 percent will spend more time outside in the cold to shovel and clear a path in the snow just for their pets.
- More than one-third of all pets are dressed nose to tail in winter clothing and accessories by their pet parents for bathroom breaks.
- From mini-sweaters to doggles, pet parents will spend upwards of $660 on food, apparel and winter supplies for their four-legged friends.
Beyond clearing pet-friendly paths, pet parents have much to be concerned about in the winter.
- More than two-of-three pet parents worry most about keeping their pets warm.
- Diet and exercise aren't just human problems, but 44 percent are also concerned about their pet's health at this time of the year.
- For those with smaller breeds, one-in-four fear their dog could get stuck in the snow.
Launching the National Morton "Best in Snow" Pet Show Contest
Based on the survey results, it's clear that pet parents will go the extra mile to protect their pets during the winter months. But can they do it in style? Morton is on a mission to find out with its "Best in Snow" Pet Show photo contest.
Morton Salt is calling on all pet parents to enter their pets into the contest to compete for the title of "Best in Snow" and the opportunity to win more than $10,000 in cash and prizes.
To enter the contest, parents simply need to snap a photo of their pet suited up for winter and submit it via www.mortonbestinsnow.com by January 4, 2013 and in accordance with the official contest rules. A panel of judges will select winners from the eligible entries based on various criteria–creativity, audience appeal, and relevance to pet safety in winter, as outlined in the contest rules. Contest prizes include:
- The Morton "Best In Snow" Pet Show Grand Prize winner receives $10,000 cash + a Morton® Safe-T-Pet® Winter Bundle worth $150
- Two runners-up winners each receive $1,000 cash + a Morton® Safe-T-Pet® Winter Bundle worth $150
- Eight honorable mention winners each win a Morton® Safe-T-Pet® Winter Bundle worth $150
In addition, Morton Salt, Inc. will donate to the ASPCA® (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals®) $1 for every eligible contest entry and $.50 for every vote made by the public during the contest period (11/15/2012-1/11/2013), up to a maximum of $25,000.
About Morton Salt, Inc.:
Morton Salt, Inc., part of the K+S Group, is the trusted authority in salt in North America. Our iconic Morton® and Windsor® brands, coupled with the broadest footprint in the industry have made us a leader since 1848. We produce salt for culinary, water softening, household and road deicing, food processing, chemical, pharmaceutical, and numerous industrial uses. Our 3,000 employees are committed to safety, quality, service and the communities in which we operate. For more information, visit www.mortonsalt.com.
About the ASPCA®:
SOURCE Morton Salt, Inc.
More by this Source
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.