UPPER MARLBORO, Md., May 23, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- At the conclusion of its 2016 Mitchell-Beall-Rosen Memorial Scholarship Contest, NASA Federal Credit Union awarded scholarships—ranging from $1,000 to the top prize of $8,000—to seven high school seniors. The annual program rewards the writing talents of young Credit Union members who are working toward four-year or two-year undergraduate degrees or vocational studies. Students submit 1,000-word essays that focus on financial literacy as it applies to the cost of a college education and their plans for paying it.
"If these seven students represent our future," said Frank Peñaranda, Chairman of NASA Federal's Scholarship Committee and Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors, "we are all in very good hands. And, NASA Federal Credit Union is pleased to help them reach their goals through the Mitchell-Beall-Rosen Memorial Scholarship."
The following outstanding seniors were recipients of this year's scholarship awards:
- Steffen Cornwell of Highland, Maryland—Plans to double major in computational biology and business at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Haley Crane of Ellicott City, Maryland—Will study biomedical engineering at the University of Maryland.
- Aaron Fishkind of Spring Valley, New York—Plans to study education at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Hailey Guit of Owings, Maryland—Will pursue a degree in graphic design at Stevenson University.
- Holly Mann of Owings, Maryland—Looks forward to studying technology and business management at the University of Maryland.
- Brian Musliner of Crofton, Maryland—Will attend Rochester Institute of Technology and study software development.
- Emily Sturm of Columbia, Maryland—Plans to pursue a career in medicine after attending Johns Hopkins University.
About the NASA Federal Credit Union Scholarship Program
The Scholarship Program was established in 1983 in memory of Wilfred Mitchell and then renamed in 1991 to also honor Donald Beall. Both men are former NASA Federal Credit Union officials who were strong advocates of the education of our youth. In 2010, the name of the scholarship program was again changed, to the Mitchell-Beall-Rosen Memorial Scholarship Program, in honor of Eugene D. Rosen, who was instrumental in launching the program and served as its Chairman for 27 years. Mitchell, Beall and Rosen are fondly remembered for their commitment to the Credit Union movement and especially for their efforts to help young people succeed.
About NASA Federal Credit Union
NASA Federal Credit Union is a not-for-profit financial cooperative owned entirely by its members and operated for the benefit of all who belong. Chartered in 1949, NASA Federal Credit Union serves the diverse needs of over 120,000 members with a full array of financial services and the strength of more than $1.8 billion in assets.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nasa-federal-credit-union-awards-scholarships-to-area-students-300273114.html
SOURCE NASA Federal Credit Union