New Survey Shows More Than a Third of Americans Think Father's Day Gets the Short End of the Stick
Treat Him Like a Star This Year with the Latest Gifts from Buy.com
ALISO VIEJO, Calif., June 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- According to a new survey(1) conducted by independent research firm Toluna and released today by Buy.com®, 40 percent of men and 36 percent of women feel Father's Day doesn't get as much attention as it deserves.
The survey of more than 1,000 adults also found that if money were no object, 41 percent of dads would want a new car as a Father's Day gift, followed by a boat or yacht at 15 percent. When asked which "realistic" gifts were most desired, the gift of time ranked the highest – 20 percent of dads want more time with family, while other most-wanted gifts included a laptop/netbook/computer (12 percent), followed by a sports-related item (11 percent).
Loved ones with down-to-earth budgets can find affordable gifts that won't break the bank from Buy.com, where they can browse through thousands of great products and special Father's Day deals, ranging from DVD players to laptops to athletic gear and more.
The Buy.com Father's Day store is a one-stop online destination offering specific gift ideas searchable by "type." For example:
- Go ahead, make his day: 50 percent of dads would love a celebrity actress to deliver their gift, but when reality hits, the next best thing could be a gift from the "Movie Buff" store, which includes a wide selection of DVDs and home theater equipment
- The family that plays together: For dads who just want more family time – a selection from the "Gamer Dad" store, which features the latest video games, software and equipment, is the perfect gift
- Home away from home: 19 percent of Americans describe their dad as "laidback but hardworking" – help make his life easier with "Executive Dad" gifts, such as watches, briefcases or electric razors
- Geek out with dad: The "Techie Dad" store has an array of gadgets and electronics, including the laptop/computer or e-reader/tablet that 12 percent of dads surveyed said they want for Father's Day
- The art of grilling: For the 16 percent of respondents who described dad as "sociable and liked by everyone," consider "Gourmet Dad" items, such as chef hats, cookbooks and grills, for his next BBQ party
- Score a hole-in-one: The "Active Dad" store offers athletic shoes, stopwatches, backpacks and more – making it ideal for sporty dads
- Surprise him anyway: The 13 percent of Americans who don't usually give anything at all for Father's Day may have simply grown up with a "DIY Dad" – hook him up with a cool Swiss army knife and other tools
Buy.com makes it easy to shop for the most finicky father with access to the Father's Day Featured Gifts store, offering a range of gift ideas from clothing, cologne, wine, tools, golfing equipment and more.
Buy.com has built a reputation as one of the Web's leading online sites for great deals on consumer electronics, with the company frequently offering daily and weekly deals.
Buy.com also offers the industry's best shipping and return offers, with no minimum purchases for free shipping on more than 2.6 million products and millions of other products shipped for free on orders above $25. For peace-of-mind that you will make dad's day this year, Buy.com is the largest U.S. online retail marketplace to offer 45 days for product returns (longer than the 30-day industry standard policy), with no restocking fees.
To find more gift ideas and special promotions, visit the Buy.com Dads & Grads store at http://www.buy.com/loc/dads-grads/64566.html.
With more than 18 million customers, Buy.com is a leading retail marketplace, focused on providing its customers with a great shopping experience and a broad selection of retail goods at everyday low prices. Buy.com offers millions of products in a range of categories, including consumer electronics, computer hardware and software, cell phones, books, music, DVDs, games, toys, bags, fragrance, home and outdoor, baby, jewelry, shoes, apparel and sporting goods. Founded in June 1997, Buy.com is headquartered in Aliso Viejo, Calif. Buy.com is owned by Rakuten, Japan's leading Internet Company. Together, Rakuten and Buy.com represent one of the world's largest online retail marketplaces, offering consumers more than 70 million products from more than 35,000 merchants around the globe.
Buy.com® and The Internet Superstore™ are trademarks of Buy.com Inc.
Rakuten, Inc. (JASDAQ: 4755), is one of the world's leading Internet service companies, providing a variety of consumer and business-focused services including e-commerce, travel, banking, securities, credit card, e-money, portal & media, online marketing and professional sports. Rakuten is expanding globally and currently has operations throughout Asia, Western Europe and North America. Founded in 1997, Rakuten is headquartered in Tokyo, generating $36 billion in annual gross transaction volume, and has more than 10,000 employees worldwide. For more information, visit http://global.rakuten.com/group/.
(1) Survey methodology
Toluna, Inc. fielded the study on behalf of Buy.com on May 18, 2011 via its online omnibus service, interviewing a nationwide sample of 1,035 adults aged 18 years and older. Data were weighted using propensity score weighting to be representative of the total U.S. adult population on the basis of region, age within gender, education, household income, race/ethnicity, and propensity to be online. Data for questions related to online use or behaviors were weighted specifically to the respective "online" populations. No estimates of theoretical sampling error can be calculated; a full methodology is available.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.