'P-touch® Means Business' Survey Reveals Offices Waste More Than $177 Billion Per Year Looking for Lost Items
BRIDGEWATER, N.J., Aug. 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Brother International Corporation released its "P-touch Means Business" survey revealing that an estimated 76 working hours per person each year are lost as a result of disorganization in the workplace (such as looking for items around their desk or office or looking for files that they cannot find on the computer). By calculating the average hourly wage of part-time and full-time office employees and the overall number of "office professionals" documented by the U.S. Census, Brother determined that approximately $177,846,846,126 is wasted annually looking for misplaced items in the office and on the computer, which may drastically impact the bottom-line for large companies and small businesses alike.
"As we have seen now more than ever, companies are trying to find unique ways of saving money and becoming more efficient," stated Bill Henderson, Vice President, Marketing, Brother International Corporation. "Usually companies don't think of disorganization in terms of dollars wasted. However, if they implemented the right tools, such as the professional P-touch® labelers and practices to help better organize their workspaces, it might significantly help overall efficiency."
Looking for items in the workplace is a key reason for lost time at work. Sixty-six percent of office workers who responded to the "P-touch Means Business" survey have spent up to 30 minutes of time during a typical work week looking for things they have misplaced at their desk or around the office. In fact, office supplies are among the most common items lost by office workers. Approximately thirty percent of employees have lost a file folder in the past year followed by twenty-six percent who lost a mobile phone. Twenty-five percent lost a calculator, and the same number of office workers lost a flash or memory drive.
"It is imperative for companies to train their employees to be more efficient in the workplace, and getting organized is the first and primary step to saving time and money," said Professional Organizer Diane Albright, who works with many Fortune 500 companies to help maximize their efficiency. "Labeling items and folders is an essential part of workplace organization, and Brother® P-touch® labelers offer the most effective labeling solutions available today."
The survey also revealed the following key findings with regard to disorganization in the workplace:
- Office workers perceive their work areas to be more organized than their peers. 87 percent say when their workspace is disorganized they feel they are less productive than when their workspace is organized. Additionally, 80 percent agree that someone who is disorganized hurts the productivity of the whole office.
- Thirty-seven percent of office workers have gone into a work meeting feeling unprepared. This holds true for close to half of Gen Y (18-24) office workers and 49 percent with a household income of $75,000+.
- Disorganization is a reason why employees are not being reimbursed for business travel from their employers. 30 percent of office workers have lost out on getting reimbursed for a business or travel expense because they misplaced or lost a receipt.
There are a number of labeling applications to help workers get better organized in the office:
- Clearly labeled file folders helps ensure important documents are easy to find at a moment's notice.
- Customized "Property of" labels help assure that items misplaced while traveling are returned to their rightful owners.
- Organize your cables and wires with a P-touch label that clearly identifies each cord.
Brother offers a variety of professional P-touch labelers to aid in office organization, including:
- PT-1880: This easy-to-use desktop labeler is designed for use in any busy office. It features 2 fonts, with a clear 15 character x 1-line LCD display for easy viewing. The PT-1880 has an estimated street price of $49.99#.
- PT-2430PC: This labeling system is PC connectable and comes with label design software built right into the machine itself, eliminating the hassle of installing software. It is often used for making labels with lots of fonts and graphics. A good choice for Gen Y office workers looking to get organized. The PT-2430PC has an estimated street price of $79.99#.
- PT-2700: This P-touch model is the flagship office labeler for Brother. It can be used as a desktop labeler, or connected to a PC for making more elaborate labels. It offers a vivid back-lit display (16-characters x 3 lines) and large keyboard for offices looking to make a high volume of labels. The PT-2700 has an estimated street price of $99.99#.
For details, data and more information on the "P-touch Means Business" survey, P-touch models and organizational tips, visit www.ptouchmeansbusiness.com.
# Estimated street prices may vary
About the "P-touch Means Business" Survey:
The "P-touch Means Business" survey was conducted online by GfK Roper Public Affairs & Corporate Communications (www.gfk.com) among approximately 800 part-time or full-time U.S. employees, between April 9 and April 18, 2010. The respondents spend either a great deal or a fair amount of time in an office setting and work (25+ hrs a week), and their average income is $68,638. Interviews were conducted among a representative sample of the online population from GfK's Consumer Online panel of approximately 1 million U.S. households. Completed interviews were weighted to ensure accurate and reliable representation of the total online population, 18 years and older.
Brother International Corporation is one of the premier providers of products for the home, home office and office. The U.S. corporate office in Bridgewater, N. J., was established on April 21, 1954 and currently markets many industrial products, home appliances and business products manufactured by its parent company, Brother Industries, Ltd. of Nagoya, Japan. These products include an award-winning line of Multi-Function Center® machines and printers. Brother also provides the number-one line of facsimile machines in the U.S. and is the leader in electronic labeling, with its full line of P-touch® Electronic Labeling Systems. For more information you can visit the Web site at www.brother.com.
NOTE: All trademarks and registered trademarks referenced herein are the property of their respective companies.
SOURCE Brother International Corporation
More by this Source
Brother™ to Commemorate 25th Anniversary of P-touch® Labelers
Nov 19, 2013, 08:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.