Parrot ASTEROID: The Car is Now Connected to the Internet
SOUTHFIELD, Mich., Aug. 24, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Parrot - one of the leaders in wireless peripherals for mobile phones – reveals Parrot ASTEROID, a new generation of car receiver combining advanced hands-free telephony with, for the first time, access to web services. With ASTEROID, Parrot is steering the future of Internet in the car and offers a solution adapted to aftermarket and OEM.
Easy access to new services
Parrot ASTEROID is the first car receiver working on the Android™ operating system. Once connected to a GPS dongle (provided with the product) and a 3G key (not provided), it enables access to innovative web services. In the US, 6 applications will be available in October 2011:
- Maps is a cartography service which identifies and locates points of interest close to the vehicle. Using the zoom function enables the user to dial, hands free, the indicated phone numbers of selected business, access their information or plan routes.
- Roadtrip is an itinerary service to touristic points of interest which vocally provides historical and meteorological information linked to the selected venue. Pictures are also displayed on the screen of the ASTEROID.
- Driving assistance
- Wikango* is a connected speed camera warning app system especially adapted to the ASTEROID screen that provides information about speed controls in real time. The spots are declared and shared between Wikango users.
- Weather is offering weather forecast information during the entire road trip.
- Contact management
- TextFriendly* provides drivers the possibility to read and compose emails or text messages by the voice, without any manipulation of the mobile phone.
- TuneIn provides access to music, sports, news or current events from anywhere in the world with more than 50,000 stations to choose from.
Parrot ASTEROID is an open platform so is able to add applications.
A multi-source and hands-free music listening
- Parrot ASTEROID enables the user to listen to music from various sources: USB key, iPhone® /iPod®, MP3 player, SD card and now, online radio stations (thanks to 3G). Music files can also be sent to the car receiver from a mobile phone and via Bluetooth® stereo A2DP. ASTEROID further offers the functionality of a traditional car receiver with a FM/AM tuner and RDS text+ service.
- Music search by voice
- A dedicated button on the Parrot ASTEROID activates voice recognition to search for the name of an artist or an album without using the wheel button of the car receiver. The ASTEROID will automatically search for your request in the connected peripherals.
The excellence of hands-free telephony
Compatible with all brands of Bluetooth® mobile phones, the Parrot ASTEROID offers advanced functionality of hands-free telephony. Paired with a mobile phone, it synchronizes and automatically updates its phonebook. Access to the phonebook can be achieved hands-free thanks to training-free voice recognition. The driver only has to say the name of a contact from their phonebook, and dialing will start automatically with the conversation conducted on the audio system of the car.
* Service under subscription
A sleek and elegant design
Deep black with backlight buttons, the Parrot ASTEROID integrates itself perfectly in all car interiors.
- Detachable - the left part is equipped with a magnetic guiding system for an easy and fast insertion of the faceplate. Discreet buttons give access to the main functionality of hands-free telephony or music system, and a rotary button allows for navigation in the different menus.
- The right part is a 3.2" TFT colour screen which displays the name and picture of the phonebook contacts, album covers, the selection of available applications and services, or Maps and other web applications.
With a 1 DIN standard format, Parrot ASTEROID is adapted for the majority of dashboards and is easy to install. Its multiple connections - 4 USB ports, jack cable and RCA - positioned on the back of the car receiver facilitate the integration of the product.
Solutions adapted to each market
ASTEROID is addressing the market of automotive accessories. Parrot also proposes the FC6100 module which enables car manufacturers and equipment manufacturers to integrate it as an original equipment in any car and will offer hands free systems, multi-connectivities, access to services and web application capabilities from the Parrot ASTEROID.
Android for the car
With ASTEROID, Parrot has developed the first car receiver working on Android operating system and offering a multiplatform compatibility. Android corresponds perfectly to the positioning of Parrot products. Further, in simplifying the development of applications, Android succeeds in attracting a large number of developers worldwide. This extremely active community already creates thousands of applications; some of them could be adapted and loaded onto the Parrot ASTEROID.
Price and availability
Parrot ASTEROID will be available in October 2011 at the recommended retail price of US$ 349 RRP.
Technical Specifications: http://www.parrot.com/asteroid
For more information on Parrot ASTEROID or Parrot range of hands-free kits and systems, please visit www.parrot.com
Even though you have a hands-free solution: always be careful on the road!
Driving requires all of your attention. Calling while you are driving may induce careless behavior. A Bluetooth hands-free solution contributes to reducing risks but does not avoid them completely. Parrot reminds you that it is important to behave responsibly while driving:
- Do not hold your mobile phone while calling in the car
- Warn the person you are talking to that you are driving and should keep the conversation short
- Do not become involved in a complicated or emotional conversation
- If the conversation prevents you from driving cautiously, please, hang up
- If possible, park your car in a safe place (not on the hard shoulder or at a red light)
- Keep your hands on the wheel and use the voice commands
- Never text (SMS) while driving except if you can do it vocally via a specific service
Parrot, a global leader in wireless devices for mobile phones, stands on the cutting edge of innovation. The company was founded in 1994 by Henri Seydoux as part of his determination to drive the inevitable breakthrough of mobile phones into everyday life by creating high-quality, user-friendly wireless devices for easy living. Parrot has developed the most extensive range of hands-free systems on the market for cars, motorbikes and scooters, including wireless multimedia products geared towards audiovisual applications. In 2008, Parrot launched a new prestige line of high-end products bearing the hallmark of renowned artists and in 2010, the AR.Drone, the first quadricopter piloted via wi-fi and using augmented reality. Parrot, headquartered in Paris, currently employs 550 people worldwide and generates 85% of its sales overseas. Parrot is listed on NYSE Euronext Paris since 2006. (FR0004038263 – PARRO)
®The Bluetooth word mark and logos are owned by the Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Parrot S.A. is under license. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.