DENVER, Jan. 31, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Super Bowl parties for Atlanta Falcons fans will cost nearly 5 percent less than those hosted by Patriots fans, according to a Super Bowl grocery analysis from Ibotta, the mobile shopping app whose users have earned more than $170 million in cash-back rebates on everyday purchases since 2012. In a review of more than 76 million receipts over the last year, Ibotta found that, on average, nearly every item tracked for a traditional Super Bowl party was priced cheaper in Georgia than in New England and across the nation, putting the average cost of a Super Bowl party for Falcons fans at $40.71.
Ibotta studied the average prices of a 24-pack of Anheuser-Busch, a 12-pack of soda, two bags of potato chips, one pound of chicken wings, one veggie tray and ranch dressing.
"Even when rooting for our favorite team – as Ibotta did last year for our hometown Denver Broncos – we want to make sure we're being smart about our spending," said Bryan Leach, founder and CEO of Ibotta. "So while it's too early to say who will come out on top this Sunday, Atlanta fans are early favorites to go home the winner when it comes to saving money for their Super Bowl parties. But it's not too late for Patriots fans to use Ibotta to save while rooting for their team this weekend."
The cost for a 24-pack of beer was $1 cheaper in Georgia than Massachusetts, while a 12-pack of soda is nearly 15 percent cheaper. Costs for chicken wings and a veggie tray were identical in both cities, as well as against the national average, showing both sides can come together over a plate of wings and carrot sticks.
Ibotta Survey Finds Guests Prefer Bottled Beer, Boneless Wings
In addition to the Super Bowl party data, Ibotta surveyed more than 300,000 users on their Super Bowl party food and alcohol preferences. The survey found that despite the number of chicken wings and beers consumed on Sunday, 72 percent of respondents don't believe those calories count during the big game.
Additional party requirements include:
- Veggie Trays: When asked how many consumers prefer a veggie tray at their parties, 68 percent said it's a must have. The average cost for a veggie tray in both cities is the same as it is nationally, $5.98.
- Bottled Beer: Super Bowl fans are particular about their beer consumption, and 82 percent of users responded that bottled beer is always the way to go over canned beer.
- "Dippable" Chips: The verdict is still out, however, on 'dipping' versus 'scooping' with your tortilla chips with 53 percent of consumers preferring to 'dip' their chips, while the remaining 47 percent like to 'scoop.' The cost for chips in Massachusetts were priced the same nationally at $3.98, but cheaper in Georgia at $3.71 per bag, on average.
- Boneless Wings with Ranch Dressing: Only six survey respondents said they don't eat chicken wings, while 60 percent said they prefer boneless wings to the more traditional bone-in. And wing eaters of both sides prove ranch is king, with two-thirds of respondents choosing ranch over blue cheese as their wing dip of choice.
For Ibotta users who redeem offers in "The Big Game" category - including a 24-pack of Budweiser or Bud Light, a 12-pack of Pepsi, a bag of Tostitos chips and Tyson chicken wings - cumulative cash rewards exceed $25. Brand-new users can tack on an additional $10 welcome bonus to that amount, bringing down the cost of this year's party significantly.
To learn more about Ibotta, visit www.ibotta.com.
Headquartered in Denver, CO, Ibotta ("I bought a...") is transforming the shopping experience by making it easy for consumers to earn cash back on everyday purchases through a single smartphone app. The company partners with leading brands and retailers to offer rebates on groceries, electronics, clothing, gifts, home and office supplies, restaurant dining, and more. Ibotta is the premier destination for rewarded shopping on mobile, and has paid out more than $170 million in cash back to its users. Launched in 2012, Ibotta has nearly 19 million users, and is one of the most frequently used shopping apps in the United States. Smart shopping starts with Ibotta.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/parties-for-the-big-game-this-sunday-cheaper-for-fans-in-atlanta-300399201.html