Pennsylvania Governor Corbett Announces Re-Start of Homeowners' Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program
HEMAP Applications Now Being Accepted
HARRISBURG, Pa., Aug. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Governor Tom Corbett today announced that Pennsylvania has received the $66.5 million cash portion of the previously announced $25 billion state-federal settlement with the nation's five largest mortgage loan servicers.
Pennsylvania's share of this money will be used to assist homeowners with various housing issues, most notably with home foreclosure, through the Homeowners' Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program, or HEMAP.
"With the receipt of these funds, HEMAP will now begin accepting applications," Corbett said. "The foreclosure prevention assistance provided by HEMAP directly helps families in danger of foreclosure. This multi-year funding for HEMAP will not only help troubled homeowners, but will play a role in restoring the health of our state's housing industry."
HEMAP is slated to receive 90 percent of Pennsylvania's share of the settlement funding during a multi-year period, with the remaining 10 percent to be split between consumer protection services provided by the state Attorney General's Office and legal assistance for consumers related to housing issues. HEMAP will receive an additional $6 million this year to address an anticipated backlog of foreclosure applicants.
"We're grateful to Governor Corbett, Attorney General Kelly and the legislature for making this funding available," said Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA) Executive Director and CEO Brian A. Hudson Sr. "HEMAP has a proven track record for working to keep families in their homes, which helps communities as a whole. Many families and neighborhoods will benefit from this renewed funding for HEMAP."
On June 22, Gov. Corbett signed the Homeowner Assistance Settlement Act (Senate Bill 1433) which authorized the approved disbursement of the funds as a result of this national settlement. It was sponsored by Sen. John Gordner .
Homeowners who are at least three months delinquent on their mortgage may be eligible for assistance through HEMAP.
When they call PHFA, they will be directed to a local counseling agency for help completing a HEMAP application. They should take all paperwork regarding their mortgage delinquency with them to that meeting, including an Act 6 notice, if they have received one.
Homeowners interested in more information about HEMAP may contact PHFA toll-free during weekday business hours at 1-800-342-2397.
More information also is available online at www.phfa.org/counseling/hemap.aspx.
HEMAP was started in 1983 to help homeowners avoid foreclosure during a recession taking place at that time. During the last 29 years, it has provided foreclosure prevention assistance to more than 46,000 families. With an 85 percent success rate for helping families stay in their homes, the program has become a national model for foreclosure prevention.
Media contact: Kelli Roberts , 717-783-1116
SOURCE Pennsylvania Office of the Governor
More by this Source
Governor Corbett Officially Nominates William Harner as Secretary of Education
May 23, 2013, 16:20 ET
Governor Corbett Recognizes PA Businesses and Entrepreneurs at Inaugural Awards Ceremony
May 23, 2013, 12:30 ET
Governor Corbett Signs House Bill
May 23, 2013, 11:59 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.