Pennsylvania Labor & Industry Commemorates National Disability Employment Awareness Month with Statewide Events on Careers, Jobs and Training
HARRISBURG, Pa., Oct. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Department of Labor & Industry's Office of Vocational Rehabilitation is participating in a series of events during October focused on helping Pennsylvanians with disabilities find gainful employment.
"National Disability Employment Awareness Month lets people know about specialized employment issues and how we are helping people with disabilities gain entry to the workforce," Labor & Industry Secretary Julia Hearthway said. "It also gives employers an opportunity to explore the many benefits of hiring people with disabilities."
- The Philadelphia Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, 444 N. Third St., will host a Disability Mentoring Day, on Friday Oct. 19. This one-day shadowing experience sponsored by the American Association of People with Disabilities promotes career development through hands-on programs, job shadowing, and ongoing mentoring. Participating employers include KPMG and Merck Pharmaceuticals. Call 215-560-1900 for more information.
- The Philadelphia Office will also host three days of Networking for Job Seekers, on Thursday, Oct. 25, Wednesday, Nov. 7, and Friday, Nov. 16, from 8:30 a.m. to noon. The event will provide targeted career guidance and address barriers job seekers face when looking for a job. Attendees will meet with employers and resource specialists to discuss and address challenges and work toward helpful solutions. Call 215-560-1900 for more information.
- The Vocational Rehabilitation office in Johnstown will hold its ninth annual Career & Transition Fair on Oct. 24 - 26 at the Hiram G. Andrews Center located at 727 Goucher St. The event introduces high school students, parents, transition specialists and special education teachers to the Commonwealth Technical Institute, which offers programming designed to meet the needs of students in transition from high school to postsecondary education. Call 800-762-4211, ext. 0405 for more information.
- The Williamsport Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, 208 W. Third St., will host a Disability Employment Information Fair on Wednesday, Oct. 17, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The fair will feature employers and service providers from the area, as well as informational sessions throughout the day. Call 570-327-3600 for more information.
- The Harrisburg Office of Vocational Rehabilitation will participate in an Employ-Ability Expo at Quest, 704 Metro Drive, Lebanon on Thursday, Oct. 18, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The event is Lebanon County's first Employ-Ability Expo. Employers will be on-site for mock interviews, to provide individual sessions with resources to help customers meet their goals and to provide information from area service agencies. Call 717-787-7834 for more information.
- The Erie Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, 3200 Lovell Place, will host a job fair on Oct. 19, from 9 a.m. to noon. The fair will feature employers from Erie County. The Erie County CareerLink® will also participate, providing transportation to and from the fair for job seekers with disabilities. More than 200 job seekers are expected to attend. Call 814-871-4401 for more information.
Media contact: Sara Goulet, 717-787-7530
SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry