petMD Survey Reveals 90% of Pet Owners Would Choose Pets Over Money in a Divorce; 66% Would Reject a Presidential Candidate Who Doesn't Like Pets
Survey shows that love for a pet influences decisions in many aspects of life -- Dating, politics, friendship and more
PHILADELPHIA, June 8, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- petMD, the world's largest source of pet health information, today announced the results of the first annual petMD Pet Owners Survey. The survey, which in May polled 1,500 U.S. pet owners, reveals that the bond pet owners share with their pets impacts many decisions in their daily lives, well beyond those that are just pet-related.
"Pet owners are passionately loyal to their pets and they show it in every aspect of their lives. The petMD survey shows that, much like human relationships, pets are a mixture of love, worry, joy and frustration for their owners, who consistently look for ways to improve the quality of their pets' lives. A pet's well-being is indelibly linked to that of its owner, and vice-versa," said Nicolas Chereque, PetMD Co-Founder.
Highlights of the 2011 petMD Pet Owners Survey:
Consumer Products -- Social responsibility equals loyalty
Pet owners are extremely loyal to companies that support animals:
- 15% would automatically buy the products of a company that supports a pet charity over products of a company that does not support a pet charity, and that figure goes to...
- 65% if product quality and price are the same
Politics -- Pet owners could make or break an election
- 66% of pet owners would not vote for a presidential candidate who is perceived not to like pets
Relationships -- Pets come first
In the battle of the sexes, it turns out pets are actually in charge:
- 90% of pet owners would fight more passionately for their pets than for money in a divorce
In the dating world a similar allegiance is revealed:
- 60% of pet owners would be totally turned off and decline a second date if a date didn't like pets
- Only 10% would give the person a second date
- 30% would try to change the person's mind about pets before dumping him or her
And in a stat that exemplifies the expression "man's best friend":
- 73% would choose their pet over a human if they could only have one friend
Parenting -- Pets are family members
Pet owners overwhelmingly believe that pets are an essential part of the family:
- 98% believe it is important for children to grow up around pets
Ever taste your child's baby food?
- 25% of pet owners report having tasted their pet's food
Pet Owners' Concerns -- Cost of pet care is the least of their worries
- Only 12% worry about the cost of their pet's care
- In contrast, 25% say their biggest worry is that their pet will get sick
Quality of life is just as important as health:
- 22% worry that their pet spends too much time alone
- 20% worry their pet is not happy
Pet Health -- Education is essential
Although pet owners' top worries revolve around their pets' health and wellness:
- Only 34% rated their knowledge of what's best for their pet's health as excellent
The survey uncovered deficiencies in key areas of pet health knowledge:
- A startling one in four pet owners stated that their pets have accidentally ingested a toxic substance
- Only 5% identified pollen or mold as common pet allergens
Pets Aren't Perfect -- We're human, after all
With all the love, of course, comes a few caring complaints:
- 53% of pet owners say that scratching and shedding drive them most crazy about their pets
Likewise, under the category of if they only had thumbs:
- 50% of pet owners wish their pets could brush their own teeth
- And yes...40% wish their pets could clean-up after they go #2
- Only 3% wish their pets could feed themselves
petMD is a leading online resource focused solely on the health and well-being of pets. The site maintains the world's largest pet health library, written and approved by a network of trusted veterinarians. petMD was founded to inspire pet owners to provide an ever-increasing quality of life for their pets and to connect pet owners with pet experts and other animal lovers. petMD is a subsidiary of the Pet360 family of brands, which also includes www.PetFoodDirect.com -- the most complete pet food and supply retailer online, and www.NationalPetPharmacy.com -- a fully certified, full-service pet pharmacy delivering pet meds, vitamins and comprehensive pet health and wellness products. For more information, visit www.petMD.com.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.