CHICAGO, May 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Playboy, with the help of esteemed polling company Harris Interactive, surveyed online 2,310 adults randomly throughout the United States (1,210 men and 1,100 women) to determine what Americans are doing to get it on – both inside the bedroom and out. The results are featured in the magazine's June issue (on newsstands and at www.playboydigital.com Friday, May 13, with complete results available on playboy.com/sexsurvey).
Following are selected highlights from the survey:
Among all respondents:
- 27 percent of men and 23 percent of women have been photographed or filmed nude, and 15 percent of men and 9 percent of women have been photographed or filmed while having sex.
- 16 percent of adults have "sexted" someone on their phone with an explicit message or photo.
- 33 percent of men and 23 percent of women who have used a dating site have done so while already in a relationship.
- 31 percent of men and 26 percent of women have attempted to contact an ex online.
- 44 percent of men and 36 percent of women have watched X-rated material with a partner.
- 41 percent of men and 47 percent of women have suspected a partner of cheating.
- 40 percent of adults between 18 and 24 years old have not yet had sex.
- 20 percent of men and 29 percent of women never receive oral sex from their partners. 58 percent of men and 61 percent of women say they would still date someone even if he or she didn't give oral sex.
- 54 percent of women say they have a G spot, while 32 percent aren't sure.
- 11 percent of men and 1 percent of women masturbate at least once a day, and 3 percent of men and 24 percent of women say they have never masturbated.
Among respondents who've had intercourse:
- 24 percent of men and 13 percent of women who have had an STD did not inform their partner(s) after being diagnosed.
- 24 percent of men and 20 percent of women don't worry about protection against STDs or "hope for the best."
- 46 percent of men and 37 percent of women have slept with an ex.
- 48 percent of men and 32 percent of women have slept with a co-worker, and 7 percent of men and 8 percent of women have slept with a boss.
- 73 percent of women but only 43 percent of men know the first and last name of everyone they've slept with.
- Only 4 percent of men and 2 percent of women have sex every day.
- 17 percent of men and 15 percent of women have answered the phone during sex.
- 88 percent of men and 51 percent of women usually or always reach climax during sex, while 22 percent of women rarely or never reach climax. 16 percent of men and 46 percent of women have faked an orgasm.
***For complete survey results or to set up an interview with a Playboy editor, please contact Theresa Hennessey at 312-373-2444 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Playboy/Harris Sex Survey is based on responses from 2,310 random adults throughout the United States (1,210 men and 1,100 women) conducted online between November 4 and December 3, 2010. Figures for age, sex, race/ethnicity, education, region and household income were weighted where necessary to bring them into line with their actual proportions in the population. Propensity score weighting was also used to adjust for respondents' propensity to be online. Of the 3,566 people who began the 15-minute survey, 2,310 completed it (65 percent), 463 people quit before completion (13 percent) and 793 opted out because they did not want to take a sex survey or were not 18 years old (22 percent). Respondents were offered incentives by Harris Interactive to complete the survey.