RetailMeNot Launches New Version of Its Coupons App for iPhone Featuring Location-Based Offers for Thousands of Retail Locations Within Hundreds of Malls Across the United States
- Free RetailMeNot Coupons app for iPhone and Android users reaches 1 million downloads in just four months
- Upgrades to Version 2.0 of the RetailMeNot app for iPhone include location-specific coupons and expiring and new coupon notifications
AUSTIN, Texas, Nov. 19, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.com), the largest online coupon site in the United States, announced today it was launching the latest version of its iPhone Coupons app, which includes geo-fencing capabilities that enable consumers to receive local coupon notifications for thousands of nearby retail stores at hundreds of shopping malls across the United States. The launch follows nearly 1.5 million downloads of the RetailMeNot Coupons app on both iPhone and Android phones since the app launched in June 2012.
"The new version of RetailMeNot.com's iPhone app should be a part of every consumer's shopping survival toolkit for the holidays," said Cotter Cunningham, the CEO and founder of WhaleShark Media, Inc., the operator of RetailMeNot.com. "This next-generation Coupons app will initially help consumers find local in-store deals available at hundreds of major shopping malls across the country. As we review the results of our updated app, we believe there is an opportunity to expand this offering beyond shopping malls to help businesses drive local foot traffic and increase their sales revenues."
The previous version of RetailMeNot.com's iPhone app made it easy for consumers to find hundreds of thousands of online offers and included more than 1,500 in-store coupons that helped facilitate sales for well-known national retailers. The addition of location-based coupons creates new opportunities for merchants to reach nearby highly motivated consumers with compelling offers.
How the App Works
A geo-fence is a virtual perimeter set around a physical retail location. When functionality is enabled, a consumer with the new version of the RetailMeNot iPhone Coupons app entering a geo-fenced location, such as a shopping mall, is alerted about relevant offers nearby.
"Geo-fencing technology is the next step in making mobile commerce a richer experience for both consumers and retailers," said John Faith, senior vice president of mobile at WhaleShark Media, Inc., the operator of RetailMeNot.com. "We believe the ability to deliver highly motivated consumers relevant offers enables retailers to increase sales, move excess inventory and increase purchases of new products on their shelves. The potential for this technology includes supporting those partners within the travel, entertainment and restaurant industries who are seeking to attract more nearby customers."
Features of the new RetailMeNot coupons app for iPhone include:
- Location-based coupons available at more than 500 shopping malls across the country by Black Friday
- Map services that identify nearest store locations to redeem in-store coupons
- Simple, easy-to-use interface with curated "Hot Deals" from popular stores and access via search to RetailMeNot.com's best online and in-store coupons from tens of thousands of merchants
- Ability to save coupons for later use, helping consumers organize their shopping excursions
- Coupon expiration alerts that message you when your saved coupons are about to expire
- Push notification to consumers of relevant coupons for nearby stores
- Supported on iPhone 5 and iOS 6: optimized for new screen size and features
For more information about RetailMeNot.com's mobile offerings, to download the app or to search for a nearby mall with location-based offers, visit http://www.retailmenot.com/mobile.
Below is additional information on mobile shopping behaviors, based on a RetailMeNot.com and Ipsos Public Affair survey conducted in May 2012:
- Over a third (34%) of adults use or have used a smartphone or tablet to shop or research a product or service they've considered buying, including a majority of adults under 35 (54%).
- Just over a third (34%) report that they would be more inclined to make a purchase shopping in an actual store if they could find a good coupon for an item or service on their mobile device.
- About one in seven adults (15%) say that they have made an online purchase using their mobile device when in a physical store because they found a better price online.
- More than half of adults have a smartphone (56%), and the majority of them (62%) currently download mobile apps.
These are some of the findings of an Ipsos poll conducted May 14–17, 2012. For the survey, national samples of 1,005 adults aged 18 and older from Ipsos' U.S. online panel were interviewed online. Weighting was then employed to balance demographics and ensure that the sample's composition reflects that of the U.S. adult population according to Census data and to provide results intended to approximate the sample universe. A survey with an unweighted probability sample of 1,005 and a 100% response rate would have an estimated margin of error of +/- 3.1 percentage points. All sample surveys and polls may be subject to other sources of error, including but not limited to coverage error and measurement error.
RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.com) is the leading consumer destination for collaborative online coupon, deal and promotional code hunting and sharing. Our mission is to help consumers save money and enjoy a hassle-free discount shopping experience. Since November 2006, our users have shared hundreds of thousands of deals and offers from retailers from across the globe. Online coupons are rated and ranked by users, ensuring that quality deals rise to the top and expired coupons drop down the list. RetailMeNot.com is operated by WhaleShark Media, Inc., the world's leading marketplace for online coupons and deals.
Shopping on the go? Download the RetailMeNot Coupons app for iPhone and Android phones to access Hot Deals, browse top coupons, popular stores and categories and get thousands of online and in-store coupons to shop when you want, where you want. Make sure to "like" RetailMeNot.com on Facebook, follow the company via Twitter @retailmenot and add us on Google+.
About WhaleShark Media, Inc.
WhaleShark Media, Inc. (www.whalesharkmedia.com) is the world's leading marketplace for online coupons and deals. The company's websites enable consumers seeking to save money to find hundreds of thousands of offers from retailers across the globe. WhaleShark Media experiences more than 400 million consumer visits to its sites every year. The WhaleShark Media portfolio of coupon and deal websites includes www.RetailMeNot.com, the largest online coupon site in the United States; www.VoucherCodes.co.uk, the largest online coupon site in the United Kingdom; www.Deals.com in Germany; web.Bons-de-Reduction.com and www.Poulpeo.com in France; www.Deals2Buy.com; www.CouponSeven.com; and www.CouponShare.com. WhaleShark Media is a fast-growing, profitable company funded by venture capital firms Austin Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Adams Street Partners, Google Ventures, J.P. Morgan Asset Management, and Institutional Venture Partners (IVP).
+1 512 777 2957 office
+1 202 330 3070 mobile
+1 512 777 2887 office
+1 832 398 5792 mobile
Allison+Partners (for RetailMeNot.com)