RetailMeNot Shoppers Trend Report: A Whopping 92% of American Consumers Are Coupon Users
National Coupon Month survey finds online coupon usage has nearly doubled and mobile coupon usage has nearly tripled in the past three years
AUSTIN, Texas, Sept. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- RetailMeNot (www.retailmenot.com), the largest digital coupon website in the United States, today released the National Coupon Month edition of its Shoppers Trend Report, revealing results from a poll conducted with The Omnibus Company (http://www.omnibus.com) on the types of coupons consumers use and which discounts are most compelling.
Ninety-two percent of consumers surveyed indicated that they are coupon users. While printable coupons remain the most widely used type of coupon (60%), online coupon usage has nearly doubled (29% vs. 16% three years ago) and mobile coupon usage has nearly tripled in the past three years (10% vs. 4% three years ago)!
- It is much more common for those 35 and over to still rely mostly on printable coupons than it is for 18- to 34-year-olds (70% vs. 44%).
- More than one in three (35%) parents use online coupons most often, compared with 26% of those without children.
- 18- to 34-year-olds are three times as likely as those ages 35 and over to use mobile coupons most often (18% vs. 6%).
- Over the past three years, online coupon usage has nearly doubled in the South (31% vs.17%) and West (29% vs. 18%)
- Non-parents tripled in mobile coupon usage over the past three years (9% vs. 3%).
The overwhelming majority of respondents (93%) are very likely to use coupons or discounts they receive via email.
- Women are more likely to use coupons or discounts received via email than men (95% vs. 89%).
- Parents are more likely to use coupons or discounts received via email than those without children (96% vs. 91%).
- Those from urban areas (89%) are least likely to use the coupons or discounts they received via email when compared with those from small town/rural areas (95%) and suburban areas (94%).
What's a good deal?
According to the shoppers surveyed, a good deal is not what you'd think.
- Nearly half (43%) of consumers surveyed consider discounts of 25% or less to be a "good deal." In fact, over one in four (26%) believe that 1% to 24% represents a good deal.
- Coupon users are most interested in deals that offer a specific dollar amount off of their purchase (31%) and are least interested in coupons that offer free shipping (9%).
How do you use coupons?
Outside of Americans who are most likely to use coupons for meals at restaurants, one in four (24%) choose to use coupons for apparel, accessories and shoes.*
- Smaller categories of coupon usage include electronics (15%), travel (8%), home decor (5%) and appliances (4%).*
- 18- to 34-year-olds are more than twice as likely as those ages 35 and over to use their coupons for apparel/shoes/accessories (33% vs. 17%) and electronics (23% vs. 10%).*
"We are very excited to kick off National Coupon Month and help millions save their hard-earned money," says Trae Bodge, senior editor of The Real Deal by RetailMeNot. "With nearly all Americans being coupon users, consumers can rely on RetailMeNot as a valuable source for their favorite coupons." To learn more, check out Jean Chatzky's piece on the history of coupons.
*Restaurants included in the original question above. It was re-based to exclude coupons for meals at restaurants.
This survey was conducted between July 24 and July 31, 2013, among 1,067 U.S. residents ages 18 or older, using an email invitation and an online survey. Results of any sample are subject to sampling variation. The magnitude of the variation is measurable and is affected by the number of interviews and the level of the percentages expressing the results. In this particular study, the chances are 95 in 100 that a survey result does not vary, plus or minus, by more than 3 percentage points from the result that would be obtained if interviews had been conducted with all persons in the universe represented by the sample. The margin of error for any subgroups will be slightly higher.
RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.com) is the largest digital coupon site in the United States. Our mission is to help consumers save money and enjoy a hassle-free discount shopping experience. Since November 2006, our users have shared hundreds of thousands of digital coupons from retailers. Digital coupons are rated and ranked by users, ensuring that quality deals rise to the top and expired coupons drop down the list. RetailMeNot.com is operated by RetailMeNot, Inc., the world's largest marketplace for digital coupons.
Shopping on the go? Download the RetailMeNot Coupons app for iPhone and Android phones to access Hot Deals, browse top coupons, popular stores and categories and get thousands of online and in-store coupons to shop when you want, where you want. Make sure to "like" RetailMeNot.com and authorize the RetailMeNot app on Facebook, follow the company via Twitter @retailmenot and add us on Google+. Consumers can sign up for RetailMeNot's Online and In-Store Coupons Newsletter by visiting: http://www.retailmenot.com/signup.
About RetailMeNot, Inc.
RetailMeNot, Inc. (www.retailmenot.com/corp/) operates the world's largest digital coupon marketplace. The company's websites enable consumers across the globe seeking to save money to find hundreds of thousands of digital coupons and offers from retailers and brands. RetailMeNot, Inc. experienced more than 500 million consumer visits to its websites in the last twelve months. The RetailMeNot, Inc. portfolio of coupon and deal websites includes www.RetailMeNot.com, the leading digital coupon site in the United States; www.VoucherCodes.co.uk, the leading digital coupon site in the United Kingdom; www.Deals.com in Germany; www.Actiepagina.nl, a leading digital coupon site in the Netherlands; Bons-de-Reduction.com and www.Ma-Reduc.com, leading digital coupon sites in France; www.Poulpeo.com, a leading digital coupon site with cash back in France; and www.Deals2Buy.com, a leading discount offer site in North America. RetailMeNot, Inc. went public in July 2013 and is listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange under the ticker symbol "SALE." Investors interested in learning more about the company can visit: http://investor.retailmenot.com/.
+1 512 777 2897 office
+1 646 554 8873 mobile
+1 832-398-5792 mobile
Allison+Partners Public Relations
SOURCE RetailMeNot, Inc.
More by this Source
RetailMeNot, Inc. Prices Follow-On Offering
Dec 11, 2013, 19:47 ET
RetailMeNot Mobile App Promotion Gives Away eGift Cards to 20,000 Winners!
Nov 20, 2013, 07:00 ET
RetailMeNot, Inc. Files Registration Statement for Follow-On Offering
Dec 02, 2013, 17:30 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.