RetailMeNot Shoppers Trend Report Reveals 77% of Adults Feel That Moms Receive More Attention on Mother's Day Than Dads Do on Father's Day 54% of adults surveyed typically purchase a Father's Day gift for Dad, compared with 71% of survey respondents who tend to buy Mother's Day gifts for Mom
AUSTIN, Texas, June 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.com), the largest online coupon site in the United States, released today the Father's Day Edition of its Shoppers Trend Report. The survey, conducted jointly with Ipsos Public Affairs (www.ipsos.com), found that quality time with the family (dinner, grilling, outing) is the gift dads are most hoping to receive this Father's Day. In a list of common gifts children have given their fathers in years past, ties and "#1 Dad" T-shirts are the least-hoped-for presents by dads.
Key findings include:
- 81% of survey respondents feel that Mother's Day and Father's Day should be celebrated equally, however over three-quarters (77%) of both men and women who responded to the survey feel that, in general, mothers tend to receive more attention or celebration on Mother's Day than dads do on Father's Day.
- When shown a list of possible gift categories, only 35% of fathers who responded to the survey said they wanted some sort of gift that cost money for Father's Day. Conversely, in our May Shoppers Trend Report, 52% of moms who responded to the survey said that they wanted gifts that cost money vs. homemade items or time with family.
- Most interesting to dads who responded to the survey — Gift cards (13%) and tech gadgets or electronics (8%) top the list of items they would appreciate receiving for Father's Day.
- Of fathers surveyed, 40% responded that they are hoping for quality time with the family (dinner, grilling, outing) for Father's Day. Only 3% of dads said they preferred time alone over other gift options, compared with 11% of moms who responded to our survey in the May Shoppers Trend Report, who wished for time alone away from the kids and spouse on Mother's Day.
- In a list of commonly gifted Father's Day presents, over one-third (36%) of dads who responded to the survey said a tie, followed by a T-shirt that says "#1 Dad" or "World's Best Dad" (33%), is what they least hope to get for Father's Day.
- 51% of adult respondents reported that they typically spend between $1 and $100 on a Father's Day gift for Dad.
- Conversely, 67% of survey respondents in the May Shoppers Trend Report said that they tend to spend between $1 and $100 on Mother's Day gifts for Mom.
- Six in ten respondent dads (60%) do not expect their wife or significant other to get them a gift for Father's Day.
To save money on Father's Day gifts, visit http://www.retailmenot.com/offers/fathersday for top coupons by gift category.
Methodology for Ipsos Survey
These are some of the findings of an Ipsos poll conducted May 14–17, 2012. For the survey, national samples of 1,005 adults aged 18 and older from Ipsos' U.S. online panel were interviewed online, including 282 fathers of a child of any age. Weighting was then employed to balance demographics and ensure that the sample's composition reflects that of the U.S. adult population according to Census data and to provide results intended to approximate the sample universe. A survey with an unweighted probability sample of 1,005 and a 100% response rate would have an estimated margin of error of +/- 3.1 percentage points. All sample surveys and polls may be subject to other sources of error, including, but not limited to coverage error, and measurement error.
RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.com) is the leading consumer destination for collaborative online coupon, deal and promotional code hunting and sharing. Our mission is to help consumers save money and enjoy a hassle-free discount shopping experience. Since November 2006, our users have shared hundreds of thousands of deals and offers from retailers from across the globe. Online coupons are rated and ranked by users, ensuring that quality deals rise to the top and expired coupons drop down the list. RetailMeNot.com is operated by WhaleShark Media, Inc., the world's leading marketplace for online coupons and deals.
About WhaleShark Media, Inc.
WhaleShark Media, Inc. (www.whalesharkmedia.com) is the world's leading marketplace for online coupons and deals. The company's websites enable consumers seeking to save money to find hundreds of thousands of offers from retailers across the globe. WhaleShark Media experiences more than 400 million consumer visits to its sites every year. The WhaleShark Media portfolio of coupon and deal websites includes www.RetailMeNot.com, the largest online coupon site in the United States; www.VoucherCodes.co.uk, the largest online coupon site in the United Kingdom; www.Deals.com in Germany; web.Bons-de-Reduction.com and www.Poulpeo.com in France; www.Deals2Buy.com; www.CouponSeven.com; and www.CouponShare.com. WhaleShark Media is a fast-growing, profitable company funded by venture capital firms Austin Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Adams Street Partners, Google Ventures, J.P. Morgan Asset Management, and Institutional Venture Partners (IVP).
+1 512 777 2957 office
+1 202 330 3070 mobile
+1 512 777 2887
+1 832 398 5792