HomeAdvisor surveyed nearly 18,000 homeowners coast to coast in 36 U.S. metro areas to find the cities in which homeowners are happiest — and to identify the factors that make them happy. The survey found that homeowner happiness boils down to a combination of three important factors:
- Practical commutes and access to attractions and services;
- Community diversity, safety and a vibrant neighborhood network;
- The affordability and comfort offered by a homeowner's dwelling itself.
The study also revealed:
- Size doesn't matter: the square footage of a house is less important to homeowners than a dwelling that has good style, personalized design and natural light.
- Convenience to retail and restaurants is an important factor, and homeowners are willing to endure longer commute times to live in the neighborhood they prefer.
- Satisfaction with community and dwelling increases with age and decreases with children in the home, as empty nesters and couples married without children report a higher satisfaction level than other homeowners.
"Empty nester homeowners feel most connected with their neighborhoods and are most satisfied with the condition of their homes," continued Ruskin. "They have likely settled in a community they enjoy and in which they plan to stay — and they generally have the most economic stability and time available to make their houses happy homes."
For the full list of cities and states surveyed and to learn more information about the Homeowner Happiness Index, visit www.homeadvisor.com/survey/.
About HomeAdvisor's Homeowner Happiness Index:
HomeAdvisor surveyed nearly 18,000 homeowners in 36 U.S. designated marketing areas and 50 states to uncover the principal factors affecting homeowner happiness. HomeAdvisor administered the Home Happiness Survey during the spring of 2016 through Trifecta Research Group. A team of research experts generated each Happy Home Score, the score used to rank all cities and states, using a proprietary calculation. This calculation is based on survey respondents' answers to questions about their overall happiness and responses to questions about accessibility, community and dwelling.
HomeAdvisor is a nationwide digital home services marketplace providing homeowners the tools and resources for home repair, maintenance, and improvement projects. HomeAdvisor's marketplace lets homeowners view average project costs coast-to-coast using True Cost Guide, find local prescreened home professionals, and instantly book appointments online or through HomeAdvisor's award-winning iOS and Android mobile apps. Access to all of HomeAdvisor's resources is free for homeowners, with no membership or fees required. HomeAdvisor is based in Golden, Colo., and is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IAC).
*Data included in the Homeowner Happiness Index is based on a survey conducted by Trifecta Research Group on behalf of HomeAdvisor. The survey was conducted among 17,629 homeowners, ages 21 or older, from March 14, 2016 through April 22, 2016. All survey participants identified as homeowners that live in the United States of America, excluding territories.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/san-francisco-homeowners-happiest-in-the-nation-300302022.html