ShareBuilder Renamed ING DIRECT Investing Redesigned Website and New Research Center Offer Solutions to Self-Directed Investors who say Investing is Overwhelming and Complicated
WILMINGTON, Del., April 27, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- ING DIRECT USA, the nation's largest direct bank, today announced that ShareBuilder Securities Corporation, its broker-dealer subsidiary, will be renamed ING DIRECT Investing, Inc. Along with greater brand alignment, the change includes a significant redesign of the ShareBuilder website to provide self-directed investors with simpler and less time-consuming ways to secure their financial future.
Today, Americans are bombarded with information overload through email, social networking sites and their mobile phones. A new online survey among 1,009 investors conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of ING DIRECT Investing shows that information overload is not helping investors make better financial decisions. More than four in ten investors (44 percent) say the amount of research available to consult -- graphs, charts, financial news, social media -- is "complicated," "confusing" or "overwhelming," according to the survey. Just 18 percent of investors say the available information is easy to understand.
"Brokerages have created a perception that investing in the stock market is complicated and incredibly onerous," said Arkadi Kuhlmann, President and CEO of ING DIRECT. "We're challenging these notions and offering an alternative approach that won't force investors to be a slave to their portfolio. ING DIRECT Investing solves the issue of complexity and confusion by eliminating unnecessary bells and whistles and investing jargon."
What's New at ING DIRECT Investing?
Eleven years ago, ShareBuilder introduced an innovative online investing platform that allowed Americans to invest for the long term by lowering the barrier to invest in the stock market, instituting no account minimums, low commissions and the ability to regularly invest any amount through the Automatic Investment Plan.
ING DIRECT Investing has tackled the next major investor frustration -- investing complexity. Americans want to build a healthy portfolio and be able to maintain it without having to sacrifice unnecessary time interpreting confusing market lingo and complicated charts. In fact, nearly seven in ten (69 percent) investors agree (strongly/somewhat) that when making an investment decision, having too much information can be as much of a problem as not having enough information, according to the survey.
ING DIRECT Investing's new platform will:
- Cut out Investing Complexity. Swap investing complexity for investing clarity. ING DIRECT Investing will offer a dynamic, user-friendly online and mobile experience. This includes a wider, cleaner site free of unnecessary jargon.
- Offer New Research. A focus on the most critical information with less clutter. The new ING DIRECT Investing Research section is a one-stop-shop for Main Street investors. With ratings and reports from Standard & Poor's, TheStreet.com and Sabrient, investors can make informed decisions, quickly. A floating quote toolbar lets investors see the latest quotes, market news, their watch lists and portfolio at a glance. Finally, a "popular searches" feature easily matches investors up with their historic interests.
- Provide Enhanced Portfolio Management. Investing shouldn't be rocket science. New portfolio management tools allow investors to easily see their investments by sector, region, assets and market cap. Investors can also access security-level analysis including key ratings, performance ratios and returns and historical pricing and volume.
- Ensure Greater ING DIRECT Integration. Invest like a saver and simplify your financial future. Customers with accounts at ING DIRECT and ING DIRECT Investing are now automatically connected. That means customers can instantly transfer money between their savings and checking accounts and their brokerage accounts. ING DIRECT customers can also view their bank account balances on the ING DIRECT Investing site.
- Educate through MyNavigator. Chart your own investment path. MyNavigator is ING DIRECT Investing's new education center that informs investors through videos and tutorials about common investing questions, including trading, funding/withdrawals, the Automatic Investment Plan and pricing options.
"Invest your money, not your life," said Dan Greenshields, President of ING DIRECT Investing. "At ING DIRECT Investing, we don't want Main Street investors to be forced to spend entire weekends trying to manage their portfolios when they could be focusing on what really matters, like their family. ING DIRECT Investing and the next generation of ShareBuilder deliver just the information and tools Americans need to make good financial decisions in a smart, effective and simple way."
About ING DIRECT
ING DIRECT, the nation's largest direct bank and largest thrift, is dedicated to inspiring Americans to become a nation of savers. Since its inception in 2000, more than 7.6 million Americans have entrusted their savings with ING DIRECT, building the bank to nearly $91.3 billion in assets. ING DIRECT has developed a comprehensive social media Savers Community, including Twitter, Facebook and it's We, The Savers blog. For more information about ING DIRECT call 1-800-ING-DIRECT, and for information about its commitment to financial education visit Planet Orange. Style note to Editors: ING DIRECT is always capitalized and never referred to as ING.
ING DIRECT Investing is a leading online brokerage for investors who have long-term financial goals and want to say goodbye to investing complexity. Whether you're a seasoned investor or just getting started, ING DIRECT Investing has what Americans need to secure their financial future without sacrificing their lives to the stock market. No minimum balance required when you open an account and pay low commissions when investing. Trade when you want, any amount you want, and what you want -- stocks, exchange-traded funds, mutual funds, options and retirement solutions. ShareBuilder is a service of ING DIRECT Investing, Inc. Securities products are offered by ING DIRECT Investing, Inc., a registered broker-dealer and member FINRA/SIPC. ING DIRECT Investing is a subsidiary of ING Bank, fsb. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
Securities products are: Not FDIC insured - Not Bank guaranteed - May lose value
About Harris Interactive
Harris Interactive is one of the world's leading custom market research firms, leveraging research, technology, and business acumen to transform relevant insight into actionable foresight. Known widely for the Harris Poll and for pioneering innovative research methodologies, Harris offers expertise in a wide range of industries including healthcare, technology, public affairs, energy, telecommunications, financial services, insurance, media, retail, restaurant, and consumer package goods. Serving clients in over 215 countries and territories through our North American, European, and Asian offices and a network of independent market research firms, Harris specializes in delivering research solutions that help us -- and our clients -- stay ahead of what's next. For more information, please visit www.harrisinteractive.com.
The survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of ING DIRECT Investing between April 4-8, 2011 among 1,009 general investors aged 21 - 65 years old who have an investment account that enables them to buy stocks, funds and other securities other than a 401k or 403b. No estimates of theoretical sampling error can be calculated; a full methodology is available.
Steve O'Halloran, ING DIRECT
SOURCE ING DIRECT