Texas Instruments 4.5-A Li-Ion battery chargers deliver faster, cooler charging Single-cell battery charger ICs with I2C and USB OTG output achieve highest efficiency and cut charge time in half
DALLAS, March 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced lithium-ion battery charger integrated circuits (ICs) that reduce charge time by 50 percent in smartphones and tablets compared to other charger solutions. The bq2419x family of 4.5-A output, 20-V input-rated switch-mode chargers with I2C interface and USB On-the-Go (OTG) support delivers faster and cooler charging to a wide array of applications ranging from power banks and packs to 4G LTE routers, Wi-Fi speakers, portable medical and industrial designs. For samples visit: www.ti.com/bq24190-pr.
Consumers continue to want faster battery charging in portable electronics. New designs require more accurate, highly efficient charge circuitry that keeps the system cool and safe while charging at a faster rate. TI's new bq24190, bq24192, bq24192i, bq24193, bq24195, bq24195L and bq24196 fast-charge circuits reduce charge time through battery path impedance compensation, and offer programmable thermal management capability to ensure the safest, most reliable system operation.
Key features and benefits of the bq2419x:
- Faster charging for single-cell lithium battery packs: 4.5-A output, 20-V input chargers cut charge time in half with unique battery path impedance compensation.
- Cooler charging with highest efficiency: 4.5-A switch-mode charger achieves 92-percent efficiency at 2 A and up to 90-percent efficiency at 4 A of output current. Meets Energy Star and European Union charging specifications. Programmable thermal regulation temperature significantly improves system-level design.
- Longer battery run-time: Integrated battery discharge MOSFET provides the industry's lowest on-resistance of 12 milliohms.
- Highest efficiency for USB OTG: 92-percent boost efficiency at 2.1 amps with the bq24195.
- Safe charging: Prevents overvoltage, protects the battery and system during charging. bq24193 supports JEITA guidelines.
- Simple to design: Smallest, most integrated battery charging solution (4-mm x 4-mm QFN package) integrates Power Path management, synchronous FETs, integrated current sensing, internal loop compensation and bootstrap diode.
TI analog for consumer electronics
TI's broad range of power management and analog signal chain products offers design engineers the high performance, low power and integration they need to create innovative and differentiated consumer electronics. TI is engineering the future with gesture recognition, touch feedback, energy harvesting, wireless power, audio, health technology and more. Learn how TI analog products improve how we live, work and play at www.ti.com/analogconsumer-pr.
Availability and pricing
The bq2419x battery chargers for single-cell Li-Ion batteries is available now in a 24-pin, 4-mm x 4-mm QFN package, priced at US$2.50 in quantities of 1,000. Designers can order the bq2419xEVM through TI's eStore.
Find out more about TI's battery management portfolio:
- Review TI's entire battery charging portfolio, including TI's easy-to-use Battery Charger Selection tool.
- Ask questions and help solve problems in the Battery Forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/batteryforum-pr.
- Download TI's Battery Management Solutions Guide: www.ti.com/bmsguide-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated