Texas Instruments MEMS innovation brings IR temperature measurement to portable consumer electronics
Industry's first single-chip IR MEMS temperature sensor will enable new user apps, device features
DALLAS, June 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) is enabling contactless temperature measurement for the first time in portable consumer electronics with the industry's first single-chip passive infrared (IR) MEMS temperature sensor. The TMP006 digital temperature sensor provides manufacturers of mobile devices, such as smartphones, tablets and notebooks, with the ability to accurately measure device case temperature using IR technology. This advancement over the current approach of approximating case temperature based on system temperature will enable system designers to optimize performance while providing a more comfortable user experience. The TMP006 can also be used to measure temperature outside the device, enabling new features and user applications. For more information or to place an order, visit www.ti.com/tmp006-pr.
"The TMP006 solves our customers' need for advanced thermal management of processors, and allows for optimizing system performance and safety even as processing power increases and form factors continue to shrink," said Steve Anderson, senior vice president of TI's High Performance Analog business. "And with the TMP006, for the first time mobile device manufacturers will be able to measure the temperature of objects outside the phone, which will unleash an entirely new functionality for apps developers to creatively tap into."
The TMP006 is the most highly-integrated device of its kind. It integrates an on-chip MEMS thermopile sensor, signal conditioning, a 16-bit analog-to-digital-converter (ADC), local temperature sensor and voltage references on a single 1.6-mm x 1.6-mm chip. It provides a complete digital solution for contactless temperature measurement that is 95 percent smaller than any other thermopile sensor.
Key features and benefits:
- Integrates MEMS sensor with supporting analog circuitry, reducing solution size 95 percent compared to the competition.
- Uses only 240 uA quiescent current and 1 uA in shutdown mode – 90 percent less power than competitive solutions.
- Supports a wide temperature range of -40 degrees to +125 degrees Celsius (C) with an accuracy of +/- 0.5 degree C (typical) on the local sensor and accuracy of +/- 1 degrees C (typical) for the passive IR sensor.
- Includes I2C/SMBus digital interface.
- Complements TI's extensive portfolio of industry-leading ultra-small, low-power consumption analog and embedded processing products for portable applications, including battery management, interface, audio codecs and wireless connectivity devices.
Tools and support
An evaluation module is available now for the TMP006 for $50. An IBIS model to verify board signal integrity requirements is also available, along with full source code for calculating object temperature and applications notes.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The TMP006 is available now in a 1.6-mm x 1.6-mm WCSP for a suggested retail price of $1.50 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Learn more about TI's temperature sensors by visiting the links below:
- Order samples of the TMP006: www.ti.com/tmp006-pr.
- Watch a demo: www.ti.com/tmp006v-pr.
- Download the datasheet: www.ti.com/tmp006ds-pr.
- Ask questions, help solve problems in the Temperature Sensors Forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/e2etemp-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated
More by this Source
Texas Instruments board declares quarterly dividend
Apr 16, 2014, 16:30 ET
Texas Instruments to webcast 1Q14 earnings conference call
Apr 08, 2014, 11:03 ET
TI recognizes 12 suppliers with annual excellence award
Apr 08, 2014, 09:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.