The Irish Music Association Announces the 2013 Irish Music Award Recipients
WESTON, Mo., Feb. 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- On Saturday, January 25, 2014, also the eve of the 56th Grammy Awards presented by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, the Irish Music Association released its list of "The Best of the Best" in Irish Music from the U.S., Ireland, the European Union, Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom for 2013.
The Irish Music Association, which recognizes outstanding Irish artists in 18 different categories, held its 6th Annual Irish Music Award (IMA) presentation ceremony in the 60-foot-underground historic brewery cellars of the 1842 Royal Brewing Company at O'Malley's Pub in Weston, Missouri. Recipients were presented with beautiful awards trophies handcrafted by the Irish Hand, made of Connemara marble, Durmast/Sessile White Oak, and other materials.
Said IMA Executive Director R.T. Reeder: "Irish music incorporates many genres from all across the world and is beloved by millions – and yet, it is rarely recognized. Therefore, we created the Irish Music Association and the Irish Music Awards to honor musicians from across the world who are continuing the Irish tradition." The awards program can be seen in its entirety at: www.irishmusicawards.com.
He added, "The Irish Music Association is proud to be the premier organization recognizing and celebrating these outstanding artists. Now, as we look forward to the Irish season and the year ahead, we hope to continue spreading an appreciation for Irish music and creating more fans of the genre."
Reeder, who founded the organization in 2003, said the mission of the IMA is to "promote, produce and perpetuate Irish music worldwide by producing shows, sponsoring festivals, and producing the annual Irish Music Association Awards Ceremony."
This year's "Lifetime Achievement Award" went to legendary Irish musician, songwriter and record producer Phil Coulter for his dedication to Irish music. Over his lengthy career, Coulter amassed 23 platinum discs, 39 gold discs, two Grand Prix Eurovision awards, a GRAMMY nomination, a Meteor Award, and many other awards. He is also known as one of the biggest record sellers in Ireland and was awarded the Gold Badge from the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors in 2009.
The 2013 Irish Music Award Recipients are:
- Top Solo Performer in Concert (US, IRE, EU, UK): Keith Harkin
- Top Solo Performer in a Pub Venue (US, IRE, EU, UK): Keith Harkin
- Top Duo in a Pub, Festival, Concert (US, IRE, EU, UK): Ryan Kelly & Neil Byrne
- Top Group (US, IRE, EU, UK): Runa
- Best New Irish Artist(s) (IRE, EU, US, UK): Gothard Sisters
- Best New Irish CD: Ryan Kelly and Neil Byrne - Acoustically Irish:
- Top Celtic Rock Band (IRE, EU, US, UK): The Fighting Jamesons
- Best Irish Tenor (individual): Emmet Cahill
- Best Female Vocalist (individual/trad.): Meav
- Best Sean-nos Singer: Brid Ni Mhaoilchiaran
- Top Traditional Performance Show: The Chieftains
- Top Traditional Group in a Pub, Festival, Concert: Runa
- Tommy Makem Award: The Dubliners
- Top Uilleann Piper (US, IRE, EU, UK): Kieran O'Hare
- Top Harpist (US, IRE, EU, UK): Moya Brennan
- Top Fiddle/Violin (US, IRE, EU, UK): Cora Smyth
- Top Button Accordion (US, IRE, EU, UK): Danny O'Mahony
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Phil Coulter
Reeder said that the Irish Music Association has a growing online presence through social media. The association has also created more sophisticated email system to improve its communication with members. See its Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/irishmusicassociation. Sign-up for updates at: http://www.irishmusicassociation.com/irishmusicawards/join.php?type=free.
Said Reeder, "We're very proud of the immense talent of our awards recipients. We encourage everyone, Irish or not, to follow us online and check out the music by all of our nominees and winners."
SOURCE Irish Music Association