Thriving During the Holidays: Shaking off the Stress with Hotels.com
Top Travel Tips and Hotels for Surviving the Holidays
DALLAS, Nov. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- According to a report from AAA earlier this year, approximately 43.6 million Americans traveled during the Thanksgiving holiday period. What's more, the same report stated that in the upcoming December holidays an estimated 40 percent of Americans plan to travel, compared to just 22 percent in 2011. Hotels.com®, a leading provider of lodging worldwide, wants to make your holiday travel a bit easier with these top holiday travel tips and by revealing hotels that go the extra mile to deliver a little more holiday cheer this season.
"We want to make everyone's holiday just a little bit sweeter by sharing some useful and practical tips that we could all use this season," said Taylor L. Cole, director of public relations and social media, North America at Hotels.com. "And, if you won't be home for the holidays, or simply want a unique holiday experience or getaway, check out some hotels that are going above and beyond with unique decor and entertainment that everyone will enjoy."
Holiday Travel Tips
- Airport Security. Although some rules and regulations, like the 3-1-1-Rule for liquids, gels and aerosols, have remained the same, a few rules have changed. Now travelers 75 and older and children 12 and under get to keep their shoes on while going through security. Also, give ample time to get through the security lines. It's impossible to gauge the length or the speed of the lines, so be conservative and factor in extra time.
- Gifts. Don't wrap gifts before going through security – they may just get unwrapped. Pack the tissue and wrapping paper in your suitcase so you can wrap presents after arriving at the final destination.
- Social Media and Mobile App Deals. Many hotel and travel social media channels and apps, including the Hotels.com Facebook page and Twitter handle, provide last minute deals and sales, which is great when trying to decide between the comforts of a hotel or a relative's couch. The Hotels.com mobile app available for Apple, Android, Blackberry and Windows phones and tablets, features specialized offers, including exclusive mobile deals and over 20,000 last minute deals.
- Find bonus amenities. Look for value-added amenities and services when booking a hotel, such as free Wi-Fi, complimentary breakfast, free parking and more. These perks provide additional value and can help stretch your dollar during the holidays.
- Use the concierge. A hotel concierge can be an effective helper when it comes to storing and delivering presents.
Hotels Spreading the Holiday Cheer
There are a variety of hotels going above and beyond to ensure an extra special holiday season for travelers and guests.
- Little America Hotel. A well-known hotel near the Interstate 40 in Flagstaff, Arizona, Little America Hotel is decked out in millions of lights. Families climb aboard an elf-driven trolley and ride through the magic portal to Santa's workshop. All along the way, Christmas music rings, lights flash and the magic begins.
- Gaylord Hotels. All four hotels – Washington, D.C., Nashville, Orlando and Dallas/Fort Worth – present individual unique holiday decor and entertainment, including ICE!™ - an indoor wonderland where families can explore 10 different holiday scenes created entirely of two-million pounds of ice. ICE! is hand-sculpted by 40 international artisans and kept at a chilling nine degrees. This holiday season, guests can experience ICE! featuring DreamWorks' Merry Madagascar (at Gaylord Palms and Gaylord Texan); and ICE! featuring DreamWorks' Shrek the Halls (at Opryland and Gaylord National).
- The Venetian and The Palazzo. These two Las Vegas sister hotels will stage Winter in Venice from now through January 6, 2013, with a six-week run of Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Las Vegas in The Palazzo Theater, a nightly parade, tree-lighting ceremonies, a 3D light projection show and an ice skating rink above the Grand Canal.
- Hyatt Regency San Francisco. It doesn't snow in San Francisco — unless you're inside the atrium of the Hyatt Regency San Francisco, across from the Ferry Building in the Embarcadero. Here, it snows three times a day indoors starting November 30 through December 31. The hotel also installs the Department 56 Snow Village, a 200-piece little winter wonderland with a train running through it.
- Coeur d'Alene Resort. This Idaho ski resort town boasts the largest on-the-water resort holiday light show and The World's Tallest Living Animated Christmas Tree in America (twice the height of New York City's Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree) at Coeur d'Alene Resort from now through January 1, 2013. Experience the resort's "Journey to the North Pole," a 40-minute cruise to visit Santa Claus at the North Pole workshop.
Megan Tyrie, Finn Partners for Hotels.com
Taylor L. Cole, APR
Hotels.com North America
Phone: (469) 335-8442
Hotels.com is a leading online accommodation booking brand. Through its global network of websites, Hotels.com, LP connects travelers with over 160,000 properties around the world, ranging from international chains and all-inclusive resorts to local favorites and bed & breakfasts, together with all the information needed to book the perfect stay. Hotels.com, LP benefits from one of the largest hotel contracting teams in the industry, obtaining the best rates for its customers, and offers frequent sales, special deals and promotions. There are more than 7 million Guest Reviews on the websites from users who have actually stayed in the hotels to ensure customers can make an informed choice when booking. Through Hotels.com, LP's industry-leading loyalty program Welcome Rewards®, customers can earn a free night for every 10 nights stayed at more than 85,000 hotels. Under its Price Match Guarantee, if a customer can find the same deal for less on a prepaid hotel, Hotels.com, LP will refund the difference. Travelers can book online or by contacting one of the multilingual call centers. Special apps for mobile phones and tablets can also be downloaded at www.hotels.com/deals/mobile_app/ enabling customers to book on the go with access to 20,000 last minute deals. Hotels.com publishes an award-winning twice-yearly review of international hotel room price trends called the Hotels.com Hotel Price Index™, which is now produced in 31 individual country editions, with North American data available at www.hotel-price-index.com. Follow Hotels.com on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Hotels.comUS, on Twitter at www.twitter.com/hotelsdotcom and on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/hotelsdotcom. Hotels.com. LP is part of Expedia, Inc., the largest online travel company in the world with an extensive portfolio that includes some of the world's best-known brands.
Hotels.com, Hotel Price Index, HPI, Welcome Rewards, Finding You The Perfect Place and the Hotels.com logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotels.com, LP. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. © 2012 Hotels.com, LP. All rights reserved. CST # 2083949-50
More by this Source
Five Destinations That Are Changing the Meaning of "Green City"
Apr 16, 2014, 09:35 ET
Colorado Attracting More Visitors Following Legalization of Marijuana Sales
Apr 11, 2014, 12:15 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.