TOLEDO, Ohio, Jan. 19, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Toledo Edison is expanding its customer outreach with the launch of its Facebook page. The new page builds on the company's successful Twitter account, @ToledoEdison, to provide customers with important information related to their electric service.
"Social media has become a vital part of Toledo Edison's communication with customers and local officials, particularly during major weather events," said Rich Sweeney, regional president of Toledo Edison. "Twitter has proven to be an effective tool for sharing information and engaging with customers, and we are pleased to offer customers more opportunities to connect through Facebook."
Customers are encouraged to like Toledo Edison's Facebook page by visiting www.facebook.com/ToledoEdison. By connecting, customers can:
- View updates and important information during major outages, such as the company's storm preparation plans, tips for safely managing through a power outage and restoration information
- Easily report a power disruption directly through the Facebook page by clicking on the "Report an Outage" tab and entering the phone number associated with the customer's account
- Learn about system enhancements and maintenance, including tree trimming, substation work, utility pole replacements and more
- Receive energy efficiency and electrical safety tips
- Learn about ways Toledo Edison supports the communities it serves
- View photos and videos from Toledo Edison-sponsored community initiatives and infrastructure projects taking place across the service territory
The launch of the Facebook page is the latest in Toledo Edison's ongoing effort to provide proactive information to customers using a variety of platforms. In addition to social media, Toledo Edison customers can subscribe to alert notifications via email or text message that contain billing reminders, weather alerts in advance of severe storms, or updates on scheduled or extended power outages. Customers also can use two-way text messaging to report outages, request updates on restoration efforts and make other inquiries about their electric accounts.
The company also provides comprehensive outage information through its 24/7 Power Center map and on its website, which is optimized for mobile phones. Additionally, customers can download the Toledo Edison smartphone app for Apple® iPhone® and Android™ devices.
Toledo Edison, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE), serves more than 300,000 customers in northwest Ohio. Connect with Toledo Edison at www.toledoedison.com, on Twitter @ToledoEdison and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ToledoEdison.
"Apple" and "iPhone" are registered trademarks of Apple Inc.
"Android" is a trademark of Google Inc.
SOURCE FirstEnergy Corp.